F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anyone still on winters?
Studio RSR

04-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Twenty2Three
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i M Sport

Anyone still on winters?

As per title..
Got stuck late April 2016
Once bitten twice shy
Summers poised stacked in the kitchen lol
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

I'll be honest here and still haven't seen the advantage of having winters and summers in the UK. Fair enough, I can understand if you live in the remote areas of UK (North York Moors and beyond, Scottish Highlands etc) they are a requirement. Lots of furious threads on here during Sept/Oct and then in Apr/May espousing Winters. Having spent a fair few winters in Northern Germany (Jag XJ-S 4.0) and even North Scotland (Elgin etc with a Porsche Boxster S), is there really a need to have a separate set of wheels and tyres in the more temperate areas of the UK?

Having said that, owning an XDrive, the issue of getting stuck may be less. But even with my previous E92 RWD, awareness and anticipation never meant I had an issue.

You say you got stuck in late April. What were the circumstances?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #3
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Yes mine are still on, probably coming off this weekend though.
Just want to seal the summers first and have been toying with getting my spare set finished 'M3 style".

Due to circumstances i left them on all year once, wasn't really an issue TBH.
      04-15-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Still got mine on. Been known to snow here in April.

But will either change this or next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 02:12 AM   #5
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 430D m sport

I took mine off 4 weeks ago and although we don't have lots of snow here in the the NE of England, I can still feel the difference with them on during the winter.

Last edited by Gixerste; 04-15-2017 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2017, 02:33 AM   #6
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

Mine came off 2 weeks ago I tend to take them off to coincide with BST starting as a rough guide. Its nice to get back on the summers with the dry roads we've had.

Interestingly I was away in Hungary with my wife for a weeks holiday at the end of March and the hire car we had (Opel Astra:thumb down) was shod with winter tyres, they were a budget brand Barum. The Sixt rep at the airport said it was law to have them on till April this was despite temperatures being in the low 20's.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 02:38 AM   #7
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixerste View Post
I took mine off 4 weeks ago and although we don't have lots of snow here in the the NE of England, I still can feel the difference with them on during the winter.
I agree with you.

There is no right or wrong view on winters, but I do see a difference through the winter months. Interesting to note that half the people in my street use them.

Mybe combination of where you live and the car you have.

I am sure the debate will coninue.....
Appreciate 3
      04-15-2017, 03:12 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Changed mine over about 10 days ago.

Looking out at the mountains, the snowline is creeping back down again. Forecast for colder weather next week including frosts, still time to see low level 'lambing' snow.

Only local and no high level driving in the next couple of weeks, so should be OK.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #9
Twenty2Three
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i M Sport

Had the usual scoffing by friends that I still have them on
Most of my commuting starts 6am and the last few weeks the temperature has been just above zero so decided to leave them on.
Got 4mm left on all 4...will I manage to squeeze another winter out of them I wonder
Not sure why they need more than 4mm to be effective?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:10 AM   #10
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three28iman View Post
Most of my commuting starts 6am and the last few weeks the temperature has been just above zero so decided to leave them on.
Got 4mm left on all 4...will I manage to squeeze another winter out of them I wonder
Not a 100% sure but I think that maybe to do with their effective use it snow
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:40 AM   #11
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut View Post
I'll be honest here and still haven't seen the advantage of having winters and summers in the UK. Fair enough, I can understand if you live in the remote areas of UK (North York Moors and beyond, Scottish Highlands etc) they are a requirement. Lots of furious threads on here during Sept/Oct and then in Apr/May espousing Winters. Having spent a fair few winters in Northern Germany (Jag XJ-S 4.0) and even North Scotland (Elgin etc with a Porsche Boxster S), is there really a need to have a separate set of wheels and tyres in the more temperate areas of the UK?

Having said that, owning an XDrive, the issue of getting stuck may be less. But even with my previous E92 RWD, awareness and anticipation never meant I had an issue.

You say you got stuck in late April. What were the circumstances?
Well your either very skilled or lucky, with the e46's and e92 I've had without winters on when we have had snow I've had to drive like an Aunt Sally. Even then with the 328i, I had to get out and push, whilst the other half steered it etc, just parking up on an incline. Also in my early days I had a few tail happy Capris so know about awareness and anticipation
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #12
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Quote:
Well your either very skilled or lucky, with the e46's and e92 I've had without winters on when we have had snow I've had to drive like an Aunt Sally. Even then with the 328i, I had to get out and push, whilst the other half steered it etc, just parking up on an incline. Also in my early days I had a few tail happy Capris so know about awareness and anticipation
Lucky I think! To be fair, down here in deepest darkest Somerset, we dont really have harsh winters and I cant remember the last time I saw snow in my area. Tippy-toeing a bit when there is a solid frost though but I guess I dont do the miles or distances to need a full set of Winters. However, I have my OEM 442 rims sitting idle so I may stick some winters on later in the year.
Appreciate 1
Gixerste192.50
      04-16-2017, 01:22 AM   #13
BnB
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut View Post
Quote:
Lucky I think! To be fair, down here in deepest darkest Somerset, we dont really have harsh winters and I cant remember the last time I saw snow in my area. Tippy-toeing a bit when there is a solid frost though but I guess I dont do the miles or distances to need a full set of Winters. However, I have my OEM 442 rims sitting idle so I may stick some winters on later in the year.
On a recent rare visit south to our relatives in Devon we found ourselves having to travel home cross-country because the M5 was closed south of Bristol on account of the carnage caused by several southerners seeing frost for the first time. Gave me an excuse to leave early so all good.

PS winters still on but I'm in Scotland and went winter climbing yesterday.
      04-16-2017, 03:49 AM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Yes and they feel much better now than they did in the winter, still awful to drive on though.
      04-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #15
djcowlin
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 330e

I am, but that's only because Cooper Sunderland were unable to get the wheels off when I took it in last week. Something to do with the mechanic who has the magic wrench being on holiday in the Bahamas until the 25th...

I've booked it back in for the week after next. In the meantime I've had to endure three days in the balmy South East.
      04-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three28iman View Post
More for snow performance. The way the tread blocks and sipes flex and bite, not so effective as the blocks wear down. Also the tread grooves are important in moving slush (and water).

We still have the benefit of the softer compounds for the colder temperatures, even with less tread.
Appreciate 0