THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics DIY - Add a USB Outlet to Glove Box

04-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Wanted to add a USB outlet to the glove box so I could charge my phone there and reserve the armrest location for USB music (maybe FiiO eventually). Very easy 15-minute job with one small modification necessary. Didn't take any photos since I was in a rush to get to dinner, but Technic PNP of ASD fame has posted some 3-series instructions with photos that are essentially the same thing. Here's a link to his excellent write-up:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1108386

I got the parts from Brian at Sun, you need two things:

USB Socket PN 84-10-9-229-294
USB 1 Cable PN 61-11-9-251-703

I didn't unplug anything because 1. you don't have to and 2. don't touch it / don't break it. Steps are very simple as follows:

1. Remove center vents by pulling straight out. Then push them vent side up against your display screen and hold them there out of the way with a piece of masking tape.
2. Remove 2 torx screws holding radio / HVAC faceplate and pull straight out. It is held in on the bottom half with push tension clips. Allow it to hang in passenger foot well out of the way.
3. Remove 2 torx screws holding head unit and pull straight out, allow to hang towards drivers side.
4. Remove passenger side vent assembly and trim to get access to run cable.
5. Remove blank cover plate in glove box (far right side) where the USB port will go.

You will notice as Technic did that the male USB plug that goes into the head unit has extra guide ridges on the side, you need to shave these off with a utility knife. I found it easiest to do a little at a time, was very simple.

From there, it's really just running the cable and plugging it in. I found it easiest to start the cable in the glove box, thread it through the hole there and route to head unit. The connector on the USB outlet side is bigger and difficult to fish through the hold from the top.

You plug the shaved end of the cable into the head unit at USB2 port and the unmolested end into the USB outlet. You can mount the USB outlet in the hole at this stage if you so choose, I did not because I ran the USB cable from my Proclip phone dock through the same hole rather than drilling into my glove box, so for me I just have a bundle of wires neatly tied down in the far right side of the glove box.

After that test to make sure everything is working properly and reverse the steps to put everything back where it goes. I did not have to code anything since all I care about is power and that works fine as-is. If you want to have your music in glove box versus armrest though you will need to code like Technic did.
Appreciate 2
crabu2141.50
Gilda G53.50
      05-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
rjroch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

When you say code, you just mean 6NH to 6NS, right? I did that right when I got my car. I should really get these parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjroch View Post
When you say code, you just mean 6NH to 6NS, right? I did that right when I got my car. I should really get these parts.
I believe that's correct but I have not really investigated.
Appreciate 0