E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC coding question

04-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 330d

CIC coding question

Hi, I have looked and looked and can only seem to find part answers. My car is a fully loaded 2008 E90 330d, PDC, SatNav, Bluetooth etc. But has CCC

Now if I were to get a CIC unit/screen/emulator/usb will this all just plug in and work? (From what I researched the answer seems to be yes)

But I have read in several places that things like PDC might not work if the donor car didn't have that enabled. Is this true?

If so that leads to a question of what needs to be coded in to enable these? I have all the software and cable.

If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettman View Post
Hi, I have looked and looked and can only seem to find part answers. My car is a fully loaded 2008 E90 330d, PDC, SatNav, Bluetooth etc. But has CCC

Now if I were to get a CIC unit/screen/emulator/usb will this all just plug in and work? (From what I researched the answer seems to be yes)

But I have read in several places that things like PDC might not work if the donor car didn't have that enabled. Is this true?

If so that leads to a question of what needs to be coded in to enable these? I have all the software and cable.

If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
In theory it should all just work, but certain options might not depends what options were coded to the last car the CIC was in. so yes the PDC might not work or armrest USB if you have one.

watch the bellow vid and then you can code it yourself and make sure everything works. this is how i coded my CIC retrofit and was a lot easier than i thought

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_G View Post
In theory it should all just work, but certain options might not depends what options were coded to the last car the CIC was in. so yes the PDC might not work or armrest USB if you have one.

watch the bellow vid and then you can code it yourself and make sure everything works. this is how i coded my CIC retrofit and was a lot easier than i thought
thanks for replying, no I dont have the usb in the arm rest. I have seen that video before, if that video was followed, will that re-enable PDC etc? Or are there different codes that need to be used?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thanks for replying, no I dont have the usb in the arm rest. I have seen that video before, if that video was followed, will that re-enable PDC etc? Or are there different codes that need to be used?
Follow that guide to the letter and all your options will work and the CIC will perform as if it was factory installed.

All you are doing is taking you cars option lists and programing it to the CIC so it know what menues to activate and what modules to comunicate with.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Follow that guide to the letter and all your options will work and the CIC will perform as if it was factory installed.

All you are doing is taking you cars option lists and programing it to the CIC so it know what menues to activate and what modules to comunicate with.
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I still need the emulator though right?

My next task is to get the 1b file from the CIC unit and generate my FSC and get my 2017 maps on there!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I still need the emulator though right?

My next task is to get the 1b file from the CIC unit and generate my FSC and get my 2017 maps on there!
There is a good guide i followed to get my FSC code, uses 3 programs on a laptop to do it, think it was another youtube vid i watched

can dig it out if you like?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #7
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
There is a good guide i followed to get my FSC code, uses 3 programs on a laptop to do it, think it was another youtube vid i watched

can dig it out if you like?
That would be brilliant, the coding part seems easy, when you know what codes your putting in haha

Did you run an emulator on yours?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That would be brilliant, the coding part seems easy, when you know what codes your putting in haha

Did you run an emulator on yours?
The coding for this is very easy, coding a combox was a lot more invlved!!

This is the vid for the FSC code and how i did it

in regards to an emulator, yes i did. i know you can script activate now but i hear it makes map updates harder to do. also when i did my retrofit i added a rear veiw camera so i purchased an emulator that could emulate the cam module as well as you cant have a emulator for each running.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The coding for this is very easy, coding a combox was a lot more invlved!!

This is the vid for the FSC code and how i did it

in regards to an emulator, yes i did. i know you can script activate now but i hear it makes map updates harder to do. also when i did my retrofit i added a rear veiw camera so i purchased an emulator that could emulate the cam module as well as you cant have a emulator for each running.
I have seen that video also, but my question with that is....is that plugged into the car with the CIC installed?

So when he connects to it to read the FSC is that reading from the CIC or the car its been put in? So will that get the VIN/1b file from the CIC and not the car is what I am asking?

I just have PDC which is fine for me.

I will want to upgrade my combo box at some point, but one mod at a time eh?!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

1b comes from the CiC....
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
1b comes from the CiC....
I know that, just in that video when he is reading the car to get the FSC I am assuming its reading it from the CIC?

So in theory I can install the CIC as normal, then plug in after, do as that video does, get my FSC then install my 2017 maps fine?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I know that, just in that video when he is reading the car to get the FSC I am assuming its reading it from the CIC?

So in theory I can install the CIC as normal, then plug in after, do as that video does, get my FSC then install my 2017 maps fine?
correct, it pulls of the current FSC code from the CIC and then calculates you a life time code
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #13
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
correct, it pulls of the current FSC code from the CIC and then calculates you a life time code
Ideal, so get it all installed and coded in and then do that part?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #14
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yes once everything is done you then grab the 1b from the CIC.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:31 AM   #15
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
where do i get the software to generate the fsc ?
      04-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #16
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
where do i get the software to generate the fsc ?
Check the 'Cheap and easy FSC from 1b file' thread. Everything you need is in there.
      04-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #17
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Next question is what is needed for adding the combox in? There are so many on ebay, plus I assume I need some sort of wiring kit?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #18
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Next question is what is needed for adding the combox in? There are so many on ebay, plus I assume I need some sort of wiring kit?
you need a combox and an adapter harness. if you want to add armrest USB you will need a USB module for the armrest and the USB cable to combox.

there are two configs of the wiring harness depending if you have just a TCU or a TCH & MULF. check in the boot and see if you have one bog box or one big and one little in the top right side of the boot
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #19
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
you need a combox and an adapter harness. if you want to add armrest USB you will need a USB module for the armrest and the USB cable to combox.

there are two configs of the wiring harness depending if you have just a TCU or a TCH & MULF. check in the boot and see if you have one bog box or one big and one little in the top right side of the boot
I just have one box in the boot, already checked that, is that good or bad?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I just have one box in the boot, already checked that, is that good or bad?
i would say good as most of the guides on here are for TCU only.

you can either make a cable from scratch following the bellow DIY or just buy one form ebay (i built mine just to have a go)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=723325

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retrofit-k...IAAOSw1XdUWcye

i have started a thread in the coding section that has a detailed PDF on what needs to be dne on how to code the combox
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #21
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
i would say good as most of the guides on here are for TCU only.

you can either make a cable from scratch following the bellow DIY or just buy one form ebay (i built mine just to have a go)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=723325

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retrofit-k...IAAOSw1XdUWcye

i have started a thread in the coding section that has a detailed PDF on what needs to be dne on how to code the combox
Got a link to that post? Can't seem to find it
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #22
pettman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Got a link to that post? Can't seem to find it
Don't worry I found it.
Appreciate 0