BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Better PPF coverage for Rear fenders

04-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
gregzimm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
1973 Pantera  [0.00]
1967 Corvette  [0.00]
2005 BMW ZHP  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Better PPF coverage for Rear fenders

Has anyone removed the OEM PPF on the rear wheel fenders and replaced them with better coverage PPF?

I think they should cover more area to limit damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzimm View Post
Has anyone removed the OEM PPF on the rear wheel fenders and replaced them with better coverage PPF?

I saw some of the press cars and cars at the BMW performance center and all of them had damage beyond the area that is covered by the factory so I had my Xpel guy remove the factory piece and put a much larger piece of xpel on. He covered from the door back and up from the bottom seam to where the curve is above the wheel. Xpel is far more transparent so its not obvious how large the piece is. I also suggest doing the entire lower rockers because the way they are curved small rocks off the street beat them pretty bad. I ended up doing them after it was clear that they were taking a beating, had I known I would have done this initially like the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 05:44 AM   #3
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzimm View Post

I had it removed and replaced with XPEL when the front end etc was done. The OEM piece is small and not the same quality as XPEL. Did my best with phone shot, you get the idea.

04-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Poor View Post
I had it removed and replaced with XPEL when the front end etc was done. The OEM piece is small and not the same quality as XPEL. Did my best with phone shot, you get the idea.
Thanks for posting this. I was curious as to where they would run a larger piece on the fender without it looking funky. This looks pretty good and seems like it would cover the full area where I've been picking up rock chips.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I was curious as to where they would run a larger piece on the fender without it looking funky. This looks pretty good and seems like it would cover the full area where I've been picking up rock chips.
Tbh it would probably look better than the stock piece due to the fact you can run one edge under the rear wheel arch so it's hidden away, unlike the factor piece which is not hidden at all.

I unfortunately didn't get this piece changed when i had PPF installed so have copped a few chips around where the film doesn't cover, i did however get the rear bumper done behind the rear wheels as i noticed this area was getting a beating.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Tbh it would probably look better than the stock piece due to the fact you can run one edge under the rear wheel arch so it's hidden away, unlike the factor piece which is not hidden at all.

I unfortunately didn't get this piece changed when i had PPF installed so have copped a few chips around where the film doesn't cover, i did however get the rear bumper done behind the rear wheels as i noticed this area was getting a beating.
This is true... fewer lines to be noticed. I was worried more about the upper edge of it being higher on the fender and therefore more obvious. Doesn't seem like that would be the case, though, especially if it's a higher quality film.

I haven't had any issues with the rear bumper yet, but definitely something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

The rear is called a quarter panel, not fender.

Appreciate 0