F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Air clutch
Studio RSR

04-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Air clutch

Been messing with this today, calibrating sensors and finding my way around some very capable software.

We've changed from a centrifugal clutch with weighted arms controlled by air and oil to a full air clutch. The AMS2000 controller can push air (actually CO2) onto the clutch pack in response to any input - rpm, time, throttle position, distance, boost, gear position or any other input or combination of inputs. It can also decrease the pressure at any point, if you experience wheelspin on gearshifts or at certain points on the track for example. Clever eh?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      04-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Is it specifically for drag bikes?

How on earth do you test it? You don't get many passes to try out different settings.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Lorcan
Rep

The AMS2000 is sold as a boost controller, we're just using it to control a clutch instead. Both do the same thing though, supplying a very controlled air pressure to either a clutch or a wastegate is no different.

The only way we can test it really is at the track, but we have 5 switchable settings via a dial on the handlebars.

1 is currently no air, i.e. for idling as we have no neutral gear. There are some small springs in the clutch to hold the plates apart for this.

2 is "drive to the line" i.e. it applies air in response to throttle input only

3 is run mode, which we will have triggered by release of anti-lag, and throttle and time inputs.

We can map each of the settings via the software. It's not bike specific, but you need a clutch that works on air pressure alone. No-one sells these for our engine, so we made one.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

I have no idea what you are on about but it sounds impressive
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #5
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Can you get anything like this on a car?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

That is some serious bit of kit.... clutch thing is impressive as well mind !
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
The AMS2000 is sold as a boost controller, we're just using it to control a clutch instead. Both do the same thing though, supplying a very controlled air pressure to either a clutch or a wastegate is no different.

The only way we can test it really is at the track, but we have 5 switchable settings via a dial on the handlebars.

1 is currently no air, i.e. for idling as we have no neutral gear. There are some small springs in the clutch to hold the plates apart for this.

2 is "drive to the line" i.e. it applies air in response to throttle input only

3 is run mode, which we will have triggered by release of anti-lag, and throttle and time inputs.

We can map each of the settings via the software. It's not bike specific, but you need a clutch that works on air pressure alone. No-one sells these for our engine, so we made one.

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Lorcan, you sir, are certifiable. Having watched you nutters at Santa Pod hanging on to these beasts, the utmost respect massively goes out to you. Swingers the size of space hoppers. Not like those pansies in the TF cars. Mollycoddled in titanium safety cages and plugged in to oxygen!

Was at Santa Pod a couple of years ago and watched the Greek Filippos Papafilippou pop across the centre line and bash in to Steve Woollatts bike then hop on the back of his wheelie bar for the remainder of the run! I was on the finish line and could not believe what I was watching

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut View Post
Lorcan, you sir, are certifiable. Having watched you nutters at Santa Pod hanging on to these beasts, the utmost respect massively goes out to you. Swingers the size of space hoppers. Not like those pansies in the TF cars. Mollycoddled in titanium safety cages and plugged in to oxygen!

Was at Santa Pod a couple of years ago and watched the Greek Filippos Papafilippou pop across the centre line and bash in to Steve Woollatts bike then hop on the back of his wheelie bar for the remainder of the run! I was on the finish line and could not believe what I was watching

Just watched that video

Amazed at the yellow bikes pilot's bail out technique.
      04-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
I couldn't believe it either, and I've been going there since 1973.

Come and say hello if you're at any of the national or European meets this year. The first one is next weekend.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 03:28 AM   #11
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

Bloody Greeks........always looking for a free ride
Appreciate 1
Lorcan3609.00