BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Diamond Surround Sound System

03-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
Hansell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90...E83...F25...G30 on order

Diamond Surround Sound System

anyone have this option? Do you like it?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansell View Post
Did spec it and removed at the last minute. Advice was that any benefit of the system would probably be lost whilst driving. So unless you are going to sit in the car and not drive it then it's probably not worth the extra over HK.

Lots of other good options can be added for 3k!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Not worth the extra cost IMHO. I would either just order HK and then replace the front tweeters and mids with Bavsound units (if you want minimum fuss and moderate cost) or order the standard US system and then throw 3k at aftermarket amps and speaker upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
Hansell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax
Not worth the extra cost IMHO. I would either just order HK and then replace the front tweeters and mids with Bavsound units (if you want minimum fuss and moderate cost) or order the standard US system and then throw 3k at aftermarket amps and speaker upgrades.
I spec'd it. I don't disagree with you one bit on it being $$$ overpriced. I didnt want to have to do any modifications to the car. Plus I have a bowers cm10 set up in my house that is pretty decent. Just curious on anyone's thoughts on how they like it while I wait for my car to arrive...which is totally painful. This is the first car I did not just get from dealer inventory. man am I excited!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
Hansell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy
Quote:
Did spec it and removed at the last minute. Advice was that any benefit of the system would probably be lost whilst driving. So unless you are going to sit in the car and not drive it then it's probably not worth the extra over HK.

Lots of other good options can be added for 3k!
I guess I will be moving into my car Glad the seats fold down. But I get what you are saying.... Admittedly, I spec'd all the options I wanted anywho. Although I am still trying to convice myself 20k+ in options is totally fine.
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1516.00
      04-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
GhostWorks
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 530D SE GT ( 2010/07 )

Quote:
I guess I will be moving into my car Glad the seats fold down. But I get what you are saying.... Admittedly, I spec'd all the options I wanted anywho. Although I am still trying to convice myself 20k+ in options is totally fine.
How is the B&W sound...

I'm waiting for my G31 with all the options including B&W, hopefully get it in June
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
Hansell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWorks
Quote:
How is the B&W sound...

I'm waiting for my G31 with all the options including B&W, hopefully get it in June
overall very impressed with the clarity even when at high volume. still breaking it in... but much better sounding than the HK surround. the only thing I am pissed about is not being able to have seperate eq setting for radio, cd, bt like in my past BMWs!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:35 AM   #8
GhostWorks
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 530D SE GT ( 2010/07 )

Quote:
overall very impressed with the clarity even when at high volume. still breaking it in... but much better sounding than the HK surround. the only thing I am pissed about is not being able to have seperate eq setting for radio, cd, bt like in my past BMWs!
If we complain or beg enough it can be sorted via next update, since the new cars have so much firmware etc can be changed that way
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #9
narcorex
Registered
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 540i G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWorks View Post
How is the B&W sound...

Hi, I've seen several posts from you about the B&W System (and I don't find the right one now).

I'd like to ask you a few questions:
1) You've written about the SAMSUNG SSD Disk for your flacs. Does it work? It's exactly the solution I was thinking about (need 550 GB minimum). BMW says 16000 tracks per disk would be ok, but they do not speak about flacs.
2) Are the flacs working in the G31? With cover-art and correct tags?
3) Have you a pic of where the corresponding speakers of those in the limo under the rear window, are placed?
4) are you satisfied withe the BW?
I'd really appreciate to have an answer on the first 2 questions as I need to order the Samsung SSD!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
Carbunkle22
Rep
Drives: M550i

I didn't want this option at first, but I love it now (since I'm stuck with it anyway). What impresses me the most is the clarity, especially at higher volume. Compared to the Bang Olufsen in my Mercedes I can clearly hear a difference in quality. However, you'll only notice this in a more pristine listening environment, like inside your garage, late night. While driving, especially on highways, I don't really hear the difference.

So unless you're just as crazy as I am and just tick EVERYTHING, I'd stick with the HK. I've had those in other cars as well and I found them good enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
I use key profiles to toggle different EQ's.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
I made sure I didn't listen to it before ordering my car so as not to tempt me. The HK is very nice. The bass really comes through even at speed. The balance of the speakers is nice so the rear passengers get good sound too. No regrets on HK.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromane View Post
Hi, is there a way to retrofit the Diamond B&W in a 540i with the HK package? I just bought a 540i with the HK (I wanted the B&W) but didn't want to wait 3 months for the car....is there a way to change after as a retrofit (I also wanna change the trim to wood).....
Expensive, but anything is possible with parts and know-how.

Last edited by Almaretto; 08-21-2017 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #14
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

About US$ 7-10k I reckon, for the speakers, amp, lighting and other controls, plus the correct door cards and other trim parts ?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you are an audiophile, you will definitely appreciate the B&W system, its clarity in Lows, Mids and Highs. Even if you turn the volume way up, its stays clean with almost neglagable distortion.
Best way to experience it, play high quality music. Don't play MP3s or your play list off your phone. Play a CD or a HQ Lossless format music. This system will Play FLAC and other lossless formats. Biggest mistake you can do is play a normal MP3 file. It will just show how crappy the quality of music is. All hi-end systems will.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #16
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Who are these ubermenschen who can hear the difference between CD and 320kb/s MP3 in a moving car ?

I thoroughly A/B tested CD vs 320kb/s MP3 on a great Pioneer / JL Audio / Morel aftermarket car system I had at the time I started ripping all my CDs. Couldn't tell a difference and even when I thought I could, I couldn't say which I preferred anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Who are these ubermenschen who can hear the difference between CD and 320kb/s MP3 in a moving car ?

I thoroughly A/B tested CD vs 320kb/s MP3 on a great Pioneer / JL Audio / Morel aftermarket car system I had at the time I started ripping all my CDs. Couldn't tell a difference and even when I thought I could, I couldn't say which I preferred anyway.
I can, but consider yourself lucky if you cannot.
Appreciate 1
BarlasaM172.00