E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Find the squeaky pulley?

03-24-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
pysical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Find the squeaky pulley?

I am getting a squeaky pulley sound at about 1500 RPM. I am pretty sure it goes away when the car gets warm but in these cold mornings I would like to get rid of it.

I have replaced the belt within the last 1k miles so I hope that is not the case. What would be the best way of finding where this is coming from?

Last edited by pysical; 03-24-2017 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
jporter396
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw m6 POS

Just replace them both. The other one is gonna squeak shortly after. Not too expensive. Only way to fine out is open the engine bay and guess, again would be best to replace both pulleys
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

It could be your Oil Filter Housing Gasket leaking oil onto the Serpentine belt and pulley. It's a common issue
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter396 View Post
Just replace them both. The other one is gonna squeak shortly after. Not too expensive. Only way to fine out is open the engine bay and guess, again would be best to replace both pulleys
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
It could be your Oil Filter Housing Gasket leaking oil onto the Serpentine belt and pulley. It's a common issue

Both of these, DONT end up like me and stranded on the side of the road for 4 hours. ECS sells an entire kit to replace pulllies and belt and OFHG are cheap AF. I was lucky it didnt cost me my engine and that belt HAS ruined/blown MANY engines by getting sucked up into the timing chain

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
pysical
Captain
Rep

I took a look at my engine bay and don't see anything leaking. The oil filter area looks clean.

I purchased a pulley awhile ago and never put it on. I think I may end up buying the other one and put them both on if it continues. Anyone replace the tensioner as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Mezzy113
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pysical View Post
I took a look at my engine bay and don't see anything leaking. The oil filter area looks clean.

I purchased a pulley awhile ago and never put it on. I think I may end up buying the other one and put them both on if it continues. Anyone replace the tensioner as well?
In my experience it's always best to just replace the two idler pulleys and the tensioner assembly all at the same time even if you've narrowed the squeaking down to a single pulley. The other components may be fine at the moment but they're not super expensive and the added level of effort it takes to replace all of them vs just one is worthwhile knowing that you shouldn't have to worry about revisiting them for a good while.

I don't know how many people here have had to replace the alternator pulley as well but I had the squeaky pulley symptom so I replaced the two idler pulleys and tensioner assembly but it didn't fix the squeak. Turned out to be the alternator pulley but I want to say this is not a very common piece to have to replace. Just something to consider in case you still have a squeak after replacing the common components.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
pysical
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzy113 View Post
In my experience it's always best to just replace the two idler pulleys and the tensioner assembly all at the same time even if you've narrowed the squeaking down to a single pulley. The other components may be fine at the moment but they're not super expensive and the added level of effort it takes to replace all of them vs just one is worthwhile knowing that you shouldn't have to worry about revisiting them for a good while.

I don't know how many people here have had to replace the alternator pulley as well but I had the squeaky pulley symptom so I replaced the two idler pulleys and tensioner assembly but it didn't fix the squeak. Turned out to be the alternator pulley but I want to say this is not a very common piece to have to replace. Just something to consider in case you still have a squeak after replacing the common components.
Ok, hopefully not.

I had a issue with the belt that ended up like spaghetti. I had to change it and then maybe 1k miles later this happened...

I had a issue with a oil spill awhile ago. The car was started without the oil filter cap on, and oil went all over the front of the engine. It was then hosed off with a power washer and some engine de-greaser. After this I had to replace my belt.

Then after this one, maybe 1k miles later, the hose that runs above the radiator to the overflow tank broke and spit fluid all over the front of the engine. Had to spray it all down again with engine de-greaser and change the belt.

So hopefully once these pulleys get changed none of this will be an issue again.

Also, are the two idler pulleys the same? Or 2 different sizes?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
pysical
Captain
Rep

Took a double look and it does appear that some oil is under the oil cooler housing and in that general area. Also, it looks a little wet around the oil filter cap.

I will have to tackle this in the next month or so. I think I will replace the pulleys, tensioner, and fix those gaskets while I have all that taken apart.
Appreciate 0