E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede v2 problem after few months

04-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
cazisk
Aussie
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Saphire Black

Garage List
2006 335i (e92)  [0.00]
Procede v2 problem after few months

Ive installed procede dec 07 and got v2 not long after that so ive had it in my car for a few months atleast. the only thing changed since is suspension parts (coilover and swaybars) and the weather (winter now, dec was summer, im in australia).

Yesterday got to work fine, drive to my gf's work place to pick her up, shut down the car. went back out to the car after gf finished work and the car started fine but not long after i took off (still in the car park) limp mode came on. Parked again shut off the car then started it back up (took a while to crank this time) and still on. Did this couple of times but still limp mode so i drove home anyways. Parked at home went in to have dinner and came back out. The same thing took a while to crank up. SO i got the creader out got 3090 i think. Cleared the code then the car started fine but yellow engine light was on in the dashboard but no error code on idrive. Took a test drive the car hesitated on second gear pull so i backed off. went back home and parked. Tried using the creader again no codes.

Next morning i started it. It took a while again cranking. got lumpy idle and limp mode, shut down the car. turned it off, started it again and no problems... no lights what so ever.......plugged in creader no code....

Anyone have any ideas whats going on?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

A couple of thoughts: Fuel pump or possibly a bad tank of gas?

Long cranks can indicate a faulty fuel pump - Just make sure you remove your Procede if you have to take it to the dealer for diagnostic tests.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
A couple of thoughts: Fuel pump or possibly a bad tank of gas?

Long cranks can indicate a faulty fuel pump - Just make sure you remove your Procede if you have to take it to the dealer for diagnostic tests.
+1

My money is on the fuel pump. Could be a wire splice came loose but I doubt it. I don't recall seeing a post from someone who experienced one or more long cranks who didn't follow up with a post that their fuel pump was replaced or failed and then was replaced.

I wouldn't wait for it to fail and leave you stranded. Get the car home and remove the PROcede, then take it to the dealer and tell them to run the HPFP diagnostic.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
cazisk
Aussie
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 335i (e92)  [0.00]
whats hpfp diagnostic?

i was afraid of this lol im really lazy person, too lazy to remove procede then have to install it all over again LOL.

time to watch the instalation vid in reverse i guess....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazisk View Post
whats hpfp diagnostic?

i was afraid of this lol im really lazy person, too lazy to remove procede then have to install it all over again LOL.

time to watch the instalation vid in reverse i guess....
Feel free to send me a PM with your mobile number, I can call you from Sydney and talk you trough the uninstall, it's pretty easy. Best advise is remove 1 wire at a time & replace it with the factory wire before you move to the next wire.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
whats hpfp diagnostic?
From what I have read, there is a test they can run on the car to determine if the pump is faulty. If you do a search on the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failures, you'll see what i mean.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Ive installed procede dec 07 and got v2 not long after that so ive had it in my car for a few months atleast. the only thing changed since is suspension parts (coilover and swaybars) and the weather (winter now, dec was summer, im in australia).

Yesterday got to work fine, drive to my gf's work place to pick her up, shut down the car. went back out to the car after gf finished work and the car started fine but not long after i took off (still in the car park) limp mode came on. Parked again shut off the car then started it back up (took a while to crank this time) and still on. Did this couple of times but still limp mode so i drove home anyways. Parked at home went in to have dinner and came back out. The same thing took a while to crank up. SO i got the creader out got 3090 i think. Cleared the code then the car started fine but yellow engine light was on in the dashboard but no error code on idrive. Took a test drive the car hesitated on second gear pull so i backed off. went back home and parked. Tried using the creader again no codes.

Next morning i started it. It took a while again cranking. got lumpy idle and limp mode, shut down the car. turned it off, started it again and no problems... no lights what so ever.......plugged in creader no code....

Anyone have any ideas whats going on?!?!?!
Definitely sounds like a fuel pump. Easy 1 day fix at the dealership
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:43 AM   #8
cazisk
Aussie
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 335i (e92)  [0.00]
hahhahaah thx for all your help guys, got it removed then just in minutes.

just when i saw the cluster of wires i almost felt sick lol but got it done 1 by 1 ! =)

gunna call the dealer now lol

edited: just double checking....just remove earth...power and the cluster of wires to the stock ecu?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #9
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
hahhahaah thx for all your help guys, got it removed then just in minutes.

just when i saw the cluster of wires i almost felt sick lol but got it done 1 by 1 ! =)

gunna call the dealer now lol

edited: just double checking....just remove earth...power and the cluster of wires to the stock ecu?
Yes & don't forget to replace the proceed wires with the tapped stock wires.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
cazisk
Aussie
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 335i (e92)  [0.00]
ok got the car to the dealer this morning (saturday so dealer only open for half a day). and 3 and a half ours later they call me and said they replaced some coil packs and problem seems to go away. told me to take the car for the weekend and if the problem comes back i will need to bring it back and they will check the fuel pump.

i didnt tell them anything about the fuel pump when i bought it in. apparently this is what bmw told them to do. oh and they didnt say anything about ecu hahahha.

good stuff, hope it really is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 01:20 AM   #11
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

Code 3090 is fuel rail pressure too low. Change the fuel pump. Forget about the coils.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 01:31 AM   #12
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Yup. If they had run a test on the HPFP (which I'm surprised they didn't since there's a SIB on certain production dates) they would have found it failing. Sucks that you're gonna have to go back again...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 03:07 AM   #13
e93
open air motoring at its best
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
Interesting. Post the outcome cause this is the first potential fuel pump failure I've heard of on an Oz delivered car. Appeared we were immune - maybe not?
2007 335i Convertible || Black Sapphire | Cream Beige | Burr Walnut | 6 AT Paddles | Comfort Access | Aluminium Pedals | Aero Front Spoiler | Remus Quads | KW V3 Coilovers | Velocity V-715 wheels | M3 Rear Lip Spoiler || On Order || || Wishlist || ||
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #14
cazisk
Aussie
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 335i (e92)  [0.00]
gah u guys were right

the car started idling rough again and began to sound like a wrx lol
no power

so im goin back on my monday which means its work day I sure hope they give me a replacement car while they try to figure it out again =(
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

fuel pump is kicking the bucket......goodluck on the new one! Easy fix.
      04-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #16
B'CahiLL-The Boss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 with Kellener's - next. AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
+1

My money is on the fuel pump. Could be a wire splice came loose but I doubt it. I don't recall seeing a post from someone who experienced one or more long cranks who didn't follow up with a post that their fuel pump was replaced or failed and then was replaced.

I wouldn't wait for it to fail and leave you stranded. Get the car home and remove the PROcede, then take it to the dealer and tell them to run the HPFP diagnostic.
What would be the symptons of a wire splice ?

My cranks ok for stock, but some days my car has more juice than others ?

Car runs fine, but I'm going to try the Processor with AA exhaust just to see a difference.

Kind of tempted to throw a front mount on, with intake, and meth injection though... and dyno prior to that to see the true difference.

I'll be posting a dyno soon
      04-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #17
cazisk
Aussie
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 335i (e92)  [0.00]
guys,

just an idea if the fuel pump doesnt get covered by waranty I want to replace it with an aftermarket one, will procede support this? or would I need to get a standalone ecu like motec or autronic?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #18
cazisk
Aussie
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 335i (e92)  [0.00]
hahaha just to let u guys know, my car is all fixed lol

they just called and said they changed the fuel pump to a high pressure one? lol i thought it came with a high pres one? meh
told me to pick it up when i can lol

=)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
hahaha just to let u guys know, my car is all fixed lol

they just called and said they changed the fuel pump to a high pressure one? lol i thought it came with a high pres one? meh
told me to pick it up when i can lol

=)
Glad to hear it
Appreciate 0