E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tachometer wiggle/movement at idle & speed.

03-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 6MT

Tachometer wiggle/movement at idle & speed.

Hey guys, I am new to the e90 forum and hoping I can get some help with my recently purchased 06 330xi 6MT. Ill start by saying this is my first BMW after making the decision to part ways with my b7 S4.. so far I am very pleased with the car!

Now to the issue I am experiencing - I have noticed while at idle or cruising speed there seems to be a slight "wiggle" with the tachometer and speedometer. Of course at idle the speedometers does not show this condition, but the gauges seem to fluctuate roughly 50-100rpm. I have not noticed any performance or running issues. Engine seems very smooth and there are no warning lights. Moreso just an annoyance, as I am the type of person who wants everything perfect on my vehicles.

I am mechanically inclined and have done engine swaps, clutch replacement, timing belts etc.. so I am not the least bit intimated to fix the problem.

From my research, I believe it may be related to the vanos solenoids or eccentric shaft sensor, but I would greatly appreciated any and all input you guys have! I plan on replacing valve cover gasket as I am getting a oil smell in the cabin, so maybe I should do the sensors also?? I will attach a short clip of the problem. Car has 124k

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
whinojosa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (6sp)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I was getting the wiggle, as you describe, prior to replacing the CRANKSHAFT Position Sensor. I was also getting the error code to match and poor overall driveability and limp-mode though.

I would scan the codes and see if there are any permanent ones.

I have a 2006 N52b25
Appreciate 0