F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Any physios on here??
proTUNING Freaks

03-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Any physios on here??

I'll be expecting the jokes.....

I'm having terrible problems with my left arm. First noticed it a little last year with pins and neddles in my little finger and ring fingers, generally after walking they would just feel a little odd.

Lately i seem to be having a lot of what feels like nerve pain around elbow, wrist and potentially neck into shoulder.

Keep putting off going to doc but it's getting to the point now where i can't grip things properly or lift things. More importantly cleaning the car wheels is extremely painful. Also wake up at night in pain with it.

I thought maybe tennis elbow but not sure if that would affect wrist and should?

Going to book docs at some point this week and get referred but thought I'd check if anyone has had similar?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Yep I've just got over similar, it's was painful as fuck, couldn't hold anything tightly and my elbow was ragging, eventually went in to my shoulder.

I went to the doctors and he said straight away golfers elbow, I thought he was having a laugh but apparently that's what it was with me.

The pain in my hand and wrist at one point was stopping me sleeping, it started just after Christmas and is only pretty much eased off now.

ETA have a read of this http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...s-elbow-basics
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1517.00
      03-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Yep I've just got over similar, it's was painful as fuck, couldn't hold anything tightly and my elbow was ragging, eventually went in to my shoulder.

I went to the doctors and he said straight away golfers elbow, I thought he was having a laugh but apparently that's what it was with me.

The pain in my hand and wrist at one point was stopping me sleeping, it started just after Christmas and is only pretty much eased off now.

ETA have a read of this http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...s-elbow-basics

Nice one, that pretty much confirms my thinking then. The problem is I don't play golf or tennis and suspect that this is from work using three different computers at the one desk. Will have to have words at work as well!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

How old is your mattress
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
How old is your mattress
About 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
About 5 years.
It may be worth sleeping in another room for a few night to see if this is contributing, I used to wake up with a painful shoulder and numb arm and it was the mattress that was not supporting me properly.
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1517.00
      03-22-2017, 02:29 AM   #7
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

There is a main nerve runs down the left arm (radial nerve I think it's called) can cause all sorts of pain. When you get an episode, see if you lose feeling just on one side of your left middle and ring fingers?

Years ago I had similar and ended up at a good sports physio who diagnosed stuck vertebrae in the neck.
As the neck couldn't move properly, other muscles were trying to compensate and causing pressure on the nerve which it turn caused the pain and numbness.

I do regular neck stretching exercises now to stop the sticking in the neck and keep it at bay.

Get to the docs mate and ask him to refer you. Probably something really simple and not worth worrying yourself for something that can be fixed easily.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1517.00
      03-22-2017, 03:43 AM   #8
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

I had this last year after doing some decorating, probably overstretching a bit on roller and brush strokes. It came on shortly afterwards and got worse to the point where I couldn't lift a kettle of water in my right arm. It's healed on it's own but it's taken 7 or 8 months
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1517.00
      03-22-2017, 03:52 AM   #9
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
There is a main nerve runs down the left arm (radial nerve I think it's called) can cause all sorts of pain. When you get an episode, see if you lose feeling just on one side of your left middle and ring fingers?

Years ago I had similar and ended up at a good sports physio who diagnosed stuck vertebrae in the neck.
As the neck couldn't move properly, other muscles were trying to compensate and causing pressure on the nerve which it turn caused the pain and numbness.

I do regular neck stretching exercises now to stop the sticking in the neck and keep it at bay.

Get to the docs mate and ask him to refer you. Probably something really simple and not worth worrying yourself for something that can be fixed easily.

Hmm that could explain the neck and should part of it was well then. I shall get booked in. Cheers.
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      03-22-2017, 03:57 AM   #10
betty02
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 316D

I'm no physio but one of my close friends is and she is very good. I see her 3 times a week. Mainly due to the amount of rugby I play!

I would certainly say this needs a doc trip though sounds more like nerve damage which needs to be checked out, could be getting trapped by over worked muscles somewhere else in the body - as mentioned neck.

Your best to get it checked by a doc, referred, few nerve tests etc and then probably a course of deep tissue massages! Not uncommon so should be quite a breeze through the NHS.

Try and just keep it moving!
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1517.00
      03-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #11
SonicDad
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435d XDrive MSport

Let's get this right....you are asking for advice from a bunch of car nuts who take off perfectly good OEM BMW designed parts and swap them for something found on eBay and made in China??....hope you get it sorted ?
ajfoggy1517.00
      03-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

I get similar to you and Rukka.

Physio puts it down to crap posture and too much time on the laptop (I'm actually making a personal sacrifice to answer your post).

Bit of self-awareness and some stretching generally keeps it under control but you do need it looking at cos if you stretch the wrong things, or in the wrong position, you could make things a lot worse.

And if you can find a physio on the NHS in less than six months you're a lucky man. For the sake of a hundred quid, I'd recommend a couple of private visits to a good sports physio.
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      03-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

You say you sit at a desk and you juggle between three computers. It's possible that the ergonomics of your work space is contributing or the whole cause of your problem. One of the main thinks is that your forearms are parallel when your hands are on the keyboard, not upward Also, a good ergonomic chair is helpful.

Here's another little thing that can cause a lot of grief. Do you carry your wallet in your back pocket? If so, it makes you sit a bit crooked. Move your wallet to your front pocket and see if there is a difference.

Warning: If you move your wallet to your front pocket, be sure to remove all the unnecessary items to reduce thickness. You don't want everybody thinking you are glad to see them

I hope its nothing serious. Get to the doctor and get it checked out.
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1517.00
      03-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Cheers all. Lucky for me I have Bupa through work so had a quick consultation over the phone this morning and I have 8 physio sessions signed. Just got to book them now.

I have theory that this all started off then I switched from a MacBook Air to the Pro. Now this might sound like a small change but if any of you have a MacBook Pro you'll know about that sharpe right angled edge, now that happens to sit right on my wrist. Also using the built in track pad a lot does put you hand and wrist in an awkward position.

I'm thinking I might have caused it through that, this has all come to light a bit after talking to them this morning. So i'm also going to ditch the mac for a bit or change to a mouse and keyboard for it that I can leave at work.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #15
MrChumley
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
Cheers all. Lucky for me I have Bupa through work so had a quick consultation over the phone this morning and I have 8 physio sessions signed. Just got to book them now.

I have theory that this all started off then I switched from a MacBook Air to the Pro. Now this might sound like a small change but if any of you have a MacBook Pro you'll know about that sharpe right angled edge, now that happens to sit right on my wrist. Also using the built in track pad a lot does put you hand and wrist in an awkward position.

I'm thinking I might have caused it through that, this has all come to light a bit after talking to them this morning. So i'm also going to ditch the mac for a bit or change to a mouse and keyboard for it that I can leave at work.
Interesting! Mine started soon after getting a Macbook Pro (I had a Toshiba Windows laptop before).

I've managed to find a seating position that works but I know what you mean about the edge and the trackpad. Pretty poor considering how much they cost. It's almost like Cupertino is all form over function.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #16
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChumley View Post
Interesting! Mine started soon after getting a Macbook Pro (I had a Toshiba Windows laptop before).

I've managed to find a seating position that works but I know what you mean about the edge and the trackpad. Pretty poor considering how much they cost. It's almost like Cupertino is all form over function.
Mine ties in perfectly to when my symptoms started.

If you have a look on web some people of taken a dremel to the edge to make it more comfortable.

http://dustwell.com/macbook-pro-sharp-edge.html
Appreciate 1
MrChumley453.00
      03-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #17
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
In tennis elbow the tendons get inflamed due to over extending. Usual treatment is anti inflammatories normally orally but in persistent cases may require steroid injections into the joint.

Only thing that would concern me is the pins and needles that you're getting.

Need to get it checked especially if you've already tried over the counter remedies.

Anyway enough professional advice time for mickey taking - use your other hand or try this

http://www.kinkycherries.co.uk/sex-t...4Z9hoCfUrw_wcB
      03-23-2017, 04:42 AM   #18
DThr33
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post

Sounds like this to me too, not a physio or anything but my dad has similar symptoms and he was diagnosed with a herniated disc in his neck. Hopefully the physio sorts you out, wasn't too effective for him unfortunately
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      03-23-2017, 05:46 AM   #19
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DThr33 View Post
Sounds like this to me too, not a physio or anything but my dad has similar symptoms and he was diagnosed with a herniated disc in his neck. Hopefully the physio sorts you out, wasn't too effective for him unfortunately
Mine was stiction of the vertebra so effectively "cracking" it freed it off again. I do daily exercises now with my back flat against a wall and pull my chin down to the chest whilst keeping the back of my head on the wall. This stretches the neck and keeps it free.

Physic told me that as this sticking happens, the muscles in my neck can't turn the head so a shoulder muscle kicks in to try and help. This muscle then gets overworked and ends up pressing against the radial nerve causing the pain in the left arm and numbness in fingers.

Quite easy to manage once you actually understand what it is.....

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1517.00
      03-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #20
MrChumley
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
Anyway enough professional advice time for mickey taking - use your other hand or try this

http://www.kinkycherries.co.uk/sex-t...4Z9hoCfUrw_wcB
Wow, I never knew there was so much choice
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #21
Gaz330d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i xDrive

I had identical symptoms to what you have described.

Started with elbow pain then went on to ring and little finger being numb.

I was diagnosed with Ulnar Nerve Entrapment at the Elbow (Cubital Tunnel Syndrome). Just had my operation for this 6-weeks ago.

Still slightly numb little finger but it will get better as the nerve needs to repair itself.

More info here: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069

Last edited by Gaz330d; 03-23-2017 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #22
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz330d View Post
I had identical symptoms to what you have described.

Started with elbow pain then went on to ring and little finger being numb.

I was diagnosed with Ulnar Nerve Entrapment at the Elbow (Cubital Tunnel Syndrome). Just had my operation for this 6-weeks ago.

Still slightly numb little finger but it will get better as the nerve needs to repair itself.

More info here: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069

Nice one ta, how did you get to the point where they decide an op was needed?

I presume they did physio first?
Appreciate 0