THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications eBay Diffuser and Splitter

03-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

eBay Diffuser and Splitter

Hello Everyone,

Last weekend I installed an M Performance styled diffuser and front splitter, but they are not OEM. I picked them up on eBay and more specifically, the seller is Advan. I haven't seen anyone on the forum using these yet, so I wanted to share my thoughts!

Install:
Rear Diffuser: Unscrew the hand full of screws on the bottom section, release the plastic pins on each end, pull on the top to release the tabs, reinstall with OEM screws. The fitment was great, and all the tabs/holes lined up as if it was OEM.

Front Splitter: Unscrew the hand full of existing screws, fit new splitter, re install OEM screws. The only issue I ran into was that the OEM screws did not fit in the center four holes, as the permanently attached washer was too large. I just used some screws I found in my parts bin, worked great. Again, fitment was awesome!

Overall impression: This really cleaned up the look of my car, so I am very happy! Also, for $450 for the pair, I am very impressed. Install was easy, and they look identical to OEM pieces. I cannot speak to the long term quality, but I will keep this thread updated if anything changes. Hopefully they do not fade or discolor. If so, I can always take them to my local body shop and have them painted.

Sorry for the iPhone pictures...only thing I have right now!

Link to Product:http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-235i-F22...pYpjCW&vxp=mtr
Attached Images

Last edited by aelarson; 03-27-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
justin4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i white

I have been seeing the advan brand a lot on ebay. I'll have to look into it too. Thanks for writing a review.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin4 View Post
I have been seeing the advan brand a lot on ebay. I'll have to look into it too. Thanks for writing a review.
My pleasure, I like helping people out on here. I had found one comment on a random thread and a guy had mentioned that he used Advan products on his E90 and the fitment/quality was perfect. So I decided that it would most likely be ok!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Cool thanks for posting. I was looking into the combo a while ago.. still probably interested in the front splitter. Do the pieces that come up from the left/right edges to touch the center grille opening fit over the existing body work, or replace it? Also, was there any double-sided tape on the splitter? (OEM has double sided tape on some edges)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
Cool thanks for posting. I was looking into the combo a while ago.. still probably interested in the front splitter. Do the pieces that come up from the left/right edges to touch the center grille opening fit over the existing body work, or replace it? Also, was there any double-sided tape on the splitter? (OEM has double sided tape on some edges)
No problem! Everything fits over the existing body work. You just need to unscrew the existing screws under the bumper, fit the new splitter, and then reinstall the OEM screws. There is also double sided tape on the back side, similar to OEM. This piece is literally an OEM replica for half the price!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
qJai
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport Prem RWD MT

Garage List
2017 228i  [0.00]
hey, can someone post the link to this? thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

after breaking 4 splitters, the ebay one is cheaper and fits. The quality is 90% of the mperformance one.

The diffuser take an extra 2 mins to put on vs the mperformance, but you cant tell the difference once its on.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qJai View Post
hey, can someone post the link to this? thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-235i-F22...pYpjCW&vxp=mtr

Here you go!
Appreciate 1
qJai22.50
      03-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
after breaking 4 splitters, the ebay one is cheaper and fits. The quality is 90% of the mperformance one.

The diffuser take an extra 2 mins to put on vs the mperformance, but you cant tell the difference once its on.
Just out of curiosity, how is the eBay diffuser lesser quality? The matte black finish? Fitment? Both? Also, how is the install different vs. an OEM? I didn't have an OEM one, so I don't have a reference.

Thanks!

Last edited by aelarson; 03-27-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #10
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

so ebay diffuser vs M perf, i had both. I had a car hit me and left a lil scuff on my mperf so i swapped it for the ebay new one.

The mperf goes right on, it seems the plastic is a little more flexible. Took me all of 2 mins to un bolt, pop old one off, and put the m perf on my buddies car in the dark, in a macy's parking lot.

The ebay one seems to be a little more stiffer, so you have to get the sides to go in first than pop it into the top holes. than once its in, you have to bang it from the bottum up to go completely into the holes along the top.

The mperf just goes in easier.

said and done, you cant tell the difference once installed between the 2.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
so ebay diffuser vs M perf, i had both. I had a car hit me and left a lil scuff on my mperf so i swapped it for the ebay new one.

The mperf goes right on, it seems the plastic is a little more flexible. Took me all of 2 mins to un bolt, pop old one off, and put the m perf on my buddies car in the dark, in a macy's parking lot.

The ebay one seems to be a little more stiffer, so you have to get the sides to go in first than pop it into the top holes. than once its in, you have to bang it from the bottum up to go completely into the holes along the top.

The mperf just goes in easier.
Thanks for the clarification. I do agree that the eBay diffuser did put up a little fight to go in, the tabs fought each other a little bit, but once it's in, it is in! For a non-OEM part...I can't complain. Took all of 5 minutes to swap out!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #12
qJai
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport Prem RWD MT

Garage List
2017 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelarson View Post
Damn, doesnt ship to canada
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a bummer.

Go on eBay and type in "M235 Diffuser". There are a bunch of options that look identical, and probably come from the same factory. I believe one is from car connection, which looks good as well!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #14
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Quote:
Ship it to Buffalo and drive down to pick it up. It's free shipping in the US
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #15
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

OP, any chance you can provide an update on the diffuser? Figured it's been installed for a few months now.

I'm thinking of getting the Advan MP diffuser but am always on the fence about replica parts. This was the one that caught my eye:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2-series...-/401343096443
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:06 AM   #16
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuttea View Post
OP, any chance you can provide an update on the diffuser? Figured it's been installed for a few months now.

I'm thinking of getting the Advan MP diffuser but am always on the fence about replica parts. This was the one that caught my eye:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2-series...-/401343096443
Looks like the day I bought them. No fading, cracking, or any discoloration!
Appreciate 1