E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Waterpump time!

03-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

Waterpump time!

Hey, I just hit 80k miles in my 2008 335i and having already done the OFHG/OCG, valve cleaning, and plugs. I'm thinking I should head off any potential breakdowns and do the water pump/t-stat.

I've found a ton of helpful DIY's and aside from contorting myself around the bottom of the engine, looks simple enough.

Who sells the best kit for the diy's? I'd like to buy all the alum bolts and fluid from the same place as the parts but I know there can be issues with aftermarket electrical parts. Any suggestions? ECS's kit looks to have the VDO pump and t-stat, any issues with this brand?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fbo blacked e92

I always go with Ecs tuning or fcp euro. oem is always recommended of course but I sometimes go with the cheaper brands. it's up to you I guess
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

I just bought my OEM kit from getbmwparts.com, way cheaper than ECS for the exact same OEM stuff. Great customer service too, at first my CC didnt go through but they took care of it very quickly for me after i resent my info.

Only downside is no free shipping, but i think its still cheaper than ECS even with shipping cost.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462

Good luck!

EDIT: dont forget your gallon of coolant, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_power4ever View Post
I always go with Ecs tuning or fcp euro. oem is always recommended of course but I sometimes go with the cheaper brands. it's up to you I guess
FWIW I use both ECS and FCP. Both have been great. I've been giving the edge to FCP based on their warranty policy... don't know if that's really critical but they claim to provide lifetime warranty on just about anything they sell. So, I just ordered a new radiator and if it leaks at some point, I won't have to pay for a replacement unit....

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
HooDat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi 2008 | c63s amg 2019

FCP Euro has great customer service too. They pricematch with many competitors and honor their lifetime warranty when price matching... Got my VCG bolts and VC pricematched for 3-400$ and they said it'll still come with warranty.

2019 | w205 | C63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
I just bought my OEM kit from getbmwparts.com, way cheaper than ECS for the exact same OEM stuff. Great customer service too, at first my CC didnt go through but they took care of it very quickly for me after i resent my info.

Only downside is no free shipping, but i think its still cheaper than ECS even with shipping cost.

Good luck!

I didn't buy a kit when I did mine.

Make sure you take the FMIC and Fan out. This will free up a ton of room.

Also, make sure you buy a new U shaped hose that connects the thermostat and water pump.

Behr makes a good t-stat. I bought an Siemens/VDO water pump. FCP Euro had them for $390.00.

You'll need new bolts for the water pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post

Good luck!

I didn't buy a kit when I did mine.

Make sure you take the FMIC and Fan out. This will free up a ton of room.

Also, make sure you buy a new U shaped hose that connects the thermostat and water pump.

Behr makes a good t-stat. I bought an Siemens/VDO water pump. FCP Euro had them for $390.00.

You'll need new bolts for the water pump.
I had my water pump and T-stat done at about 60k miles as water pump was failing. I just did my radiator; and, based on that experience I'd suggest (1) pulling fan and FMIC as suggested above when doing water pump and t-stat (you will appreciate the room) (2) consider replacing ALL hoses in and out of both water-pump since you are already down there. That will be frustrating, but MUCH worse if you need to replace one of them down the line and spend two hours just to get to the darn thing.....

I don't like spending extra money on parts, but I despise doing work twice.......

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
SlumsToMills
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
I had my water pump and T-stat done at about 60k miles as water pump was failing. I just did my radiator; and, based on that experience I'd suggest (1) pulling fan and FMIC as suggested above when doing water pump and t-stat (you will appreciate the room) (2) consider replacing ALL hoses in and out of both water-pump since you are already down there. That will be frustrating, but MUCH worse if you need to replace one of them down the line and spend two hours just to get to the darn thing.....

I don't like spending extra money on parts, but I despise doing work twice.......
Where do I buy all the hoses to spec? Any place with a hose kit? I am assuming I can just find some quick hoses at autozone or some auto shop nearby?

I am planning to do my waterpump and t-stat this weekend with a friend. I wasn't planning on replacing hoses but your post is making me consider it.

My waterpump seems to have died 2 days ago at 87k miles. 2010, 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 06:26 PM   #9
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I second this. Replace that hose too. My U shaped hose showed some swelling due to oil on it as a result of the OFHG leak.
Convertible | Manual | M-Sport | MHD Stage 1 + FMIC | 335is Clutch | ER CP | RB Inlets | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | M3 F/R Control Arms | KW V3 | Hawk HPS Pads | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | Blackvue DR650-2CH Dash Cam | LCI Taillights
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:25 PM   #10
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumsToMills View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post

Where do I buy all the hoses to spec? Any place with a hose kit? I am assuming I can just find some quick hoses at autozone or some auto shop nearby?

I am planning to do my waterpump and t-stat this weekend with a friend. I wasn't planning on replacing hoses but your post is making me consider it.

My waterpump seems to have died 2 days ago at 87k miles. 2010, 335i
Check real OEM for the diagram with part numbers.. ". You'll need the last 7 of your VIN.

You can buy hoses at the dealer, ECS, FCP Euro, Bav Auto, Turner, amazon, etc...... I doubt most of the big box auto stores will have all the hoses you need without ordering them.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #11
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

Good point on the hoses. I ended up buying the ECS kit. I was going to do it this past weekend but between stuff with my kids and doing some yardwork, I ran out of time. I won't be able to get to it for two weeks. Hopefully my WP doesnt grenade on this 500 mi trip I have this week...

That's interesting you say to remove the FMIC. I've been thinking about buying a new one anyway... I guess it's time to do that too! Paging VRSF!!
Appreciate 0