E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Inlets - go 2' or 1.75" stock?

03-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
dirtypickle
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Lightbulb N54 Inlets - go 2' or 1.75" stock?

Ok so I want to upgrade Inlets, not planning on upgrading to larger turbos , but I seen on MMp website you can go with 2" on a 1.75" stock turbo and it works still so if you want to go bigger down the road you don't have to upgrade Inlets again.

So what do you guys think, might look at VTT also but pretty sure they are higher priced. Any ideas?

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
never vtt.

Get the mmp passenger side aluminum kit. Best flowing inlets on the market. You can then just change to the 2'' silicone elbow if you ever upgrade your turbos. They sound nice too.
Appreciate 2
Rule1977194.50
      03-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

If your staying oem 2" is the way to go. Running any turbo, you want as much air as possible,. This is my opinion as oem location is still along ride before the turob. The relocated ones are a nice option also.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB View Post
If your staying oem 2" is the way to go. Running any turbo, you want as much air as possible,. This is my opinion as oem location is still along ride before the turob. The relocated ones are a nice option also.
The 2'' or `.75'' is the last elbow not the whole intake track. 2'' does not fit great on stock turbos. Might as well get the right size for the job. So it tapers down to 1.75'' instead of 2''.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
never vtt.
J/w, why not?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #6
dirtypickle
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
never vtt.

Get the mmp passenger side aluminum kit. Best flowing inlets on the market. You can then just change to the 2'' silicone elbow if you ever upgrade your turbos. They sound nice too.
was seriously looking at those for passenger side , is it harder , with relocation of the PS and other tank?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

I have mmp 2" oem side inlets on my stock turbos they fit great with no issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
JuniorB
Major
Rep

VTT are pushing 800+hp with there products, I would imagine it can't be that bad. Very few are doing it.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #9
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Quote:
VTT are pushing 800+hp with there products, I would imagine it can't be that bad. Very few are doing it.
As far as the OP goes, you can use either. 1.75" will fit more securely, but if all is clean and you install correctly, 2" also fits. We offer a pretty big discount on silicone when purchased with turbos... so if it's going to be a while, just get the 1.75" and sell 'em when you're ready to upgrade. If it isn't going to be that long before you upgrade turbos and you're just doing inlets now for fun... 2".

Our inlets are, in our opinion, the best. No one has matched our power output, no one has matched our trap speeds, and all we want to do is push harder. Of course people talk. If you have specific questions about products, who we are as a company -anything- email me (or PM). My email address is Chris@vargasturbo.com.

As for the other things -many people write things that they have no personal knowledge of/experience with, and often times those things are simply untrue. Any questions there, again, email me, we can start a dialog. We have standards that we are proud of.

If you're a customer and have any issues, contact me and I will be happy to help you drive whatever issue you have to resolution.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

be aware that the inlets only give you a real benefit on the highway. if you drive lots of city, especially living in TN with a hot climate, you will not see much of a difference in performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
JuniorB
Major
Rep

I'm not bias with any vendor and take what people say with a grain of salt. I was blown away with what your car is pushing and the dyno to prove it. Not that I troll on the n54 sight, cause there is so much great info and only want the best route to go when I do my n54 swap. Do it once and do it right! Seeing that I'm a deisel tech and know how harsh turbos run and what they need to be efficient. There is a reason they run 12"" filters to 4" housings. I don't care for the intake track on the 54 how it wraps around the motor.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
JuniorB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
be aware that the inlets only give you a real benefit on the highway. if you drive lots of city, especially living in TN with a hot climate, you will not see much of a difference in performance.
That's cause turbos heat soak pulling hot air, that car would run better at night when temps are down.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's cause turbos heat soak pulling hot air, that car would run better at night when temps are down.
pretty much any car runs better with cool, dry air being fed through the intake.

I'm just saying that if the OP doesnt do a good chunk of highway driving, theres really no point in installing those inlets unless he wants them purely for cosmetics.

you would probably get better gains from upgrading your intercooler or literally just painting it black so it reduces heat more effectively. the general consensus is that there is absolutely no point in upgrading the intake system unless you are pushing huge turbo boost/upgraded turbos in which case the stock airbox simply becomes a bottleneck. otherwise, any BMW air intake whether it is for an NA or turbo engine will be better designed then a piece of metal with a cone filter on it. have you seen a comparison between the BMS dual cone intakes and the factory airbox? the different in temps were minimal, and that tiny improvement is offset at low speeds/sitting in traffic where the cones become completely heat soaked in traffic anyways..

on a sidenote, an air intake can give you good gains on a car with a poorly designed factory airbox, but BMW's stuff is very well designed and better then anything aftermarket (unless you have upgraded turbos, which the factory airbox does not account for)

same goes for any stock BMW catback system. the design/layout/quality of the OEM piping is very good and does not offer any real restriction other then the downpipe, muffler and secondary cats (depending on which chassis and engine you have) if you do something with these parts, it will sound pretty much almost as good as a $1000 catback and flow equally well for half the price.

before you guys decide you should fuck around with something so well designed, study the stock part, compare it to whatever you want to replace it with and make sure its worth wasting the money because often its not worth it (again, unless you have upgraded turbos)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #14
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
pretty much any car runs better with cool, dry air being fed through the intake.

I'm just saying that if the OP doesnt do a good chunk of highway driving, theres really no point in installing those inlets unless he wants them purely for cosmetics.

you would probably get better gains from upgrading your intercooler or literally just painting it black so it reduces heat more effectively. the general consensus is that there is absolutely no point in upgrading the intake system unless you are pushing huge turbo boost/upgraded turbos in which case the stock airbox simply becomes a bottleneck. otherwise, any BMW air intake whether it is for an NA or turbo engine will be better designed then a piece of metal with a cone filter on it. have you seen a comparison between the BMS dual cone intakes and the factory airbox? the different in temps were minimal, and that tiny improvement is offset at low speeds/sitting in traffic where the cones become completely heat soaked in traffic anyways..

on a sidenote, an air intake can give you good gains on a car with a poorly designed factory airbox, but BMW's stuff is very well designed and better then anything aftermarket (unless you have upgraded turbos, which the factory airbox does not account for)

same goes for any stock BMW catback system. the design/layout/quality of the OEM piping is very good and does not offer any real restriction other then the downpipe, muffler and secondary cats (depending on which chassis and engine you have) if you do something with these parts, it will sound pretty much almost as good as a $1000 catback and flow equally well for half the price.

before you guys decide you should fuck around with something so well designed, study the stock part, compare it to whatever you want to replace it with and make sure its worth wasting the money because often its not worth it (again, unless you have upgraded turbos)
Is this FrankenTurbo speaking? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...222395&page=36

The gains are mainly in the higher rpm ranges at wot when tuned. so 3.5-4k + basically, which is what you would expect.

Inlets were proven over 2 years ago. I seriously don't understand why try and refute them. But hey if you don't want to run them go for it.
Appreciate 3
      03-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #15
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Is this FrankenTurbo speaking? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...222395&page=36

The gains are mainly in the higher rpm ranges at wot when tuned. so 3.5-4k + basically, which is what you would expect.

Inlets were proven over 2 years ago. I seriously don't understand why try and refute them. But hey if you don't want to run them go for it.
i dont know.. im simply just repeating what others have said about the air scoops - that they are only good for scooping kitty litter.

I mean, theres gains in the high end, but look at the loss in low end torque and the whole mid range is literally identical.. if you literally drive above 5000RPM all day long I see how it makes sense, but otherwise I would much rather spend that money on the intercooler instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #16
Bimmer 808
MT or bust!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport, 6MT

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

lmao bruh! you have no idea what you are talking about. please stop posting about stuff you don't know about, or second hand stuff you heard from your younger sister's boyfriend. you are literally embarrassing yourself.
2010 E90 335i M Sport, MT - BMW PE; VRSF 7in HD; RB PCV; VRSF CP; Turbosmart KPB BOV; M3 Cowl; VRSF Cerakote DPs; Carly coding; ECS Scoops; Ziza interior LEDs; Fuel-It! Bucketless; Diff lock down brace V2; MHD E60 Map from BQ; Mishimoto OCC; Fuel-It! Ethanol Sensor; Apex 18x9 ARC-8's; StopTech slotted rotors; HPS pads; ECS brake lines; MMP turbos, inlets, outlets; 034 mounts; Kumho PS31s; BimmerLife coils
Appreciate 4
Torgus3781.50
LMB335IS1299.00
BSM n54iS2684.50
      03-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #17
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
i dont know.. im simply just repeating what others have said about the air scoops - that they are only good for scooping kitty litter.

I mean, theres gains in the high end, but look at the loss in low end torque and the whole mid range is literally identical.. if you literally drive above 5000RPM all day long I see how it makes sense, but otherwise I would much rather spend that money on the intercooler instead.
You seem to be confused. Air scoops vs inlets. Not even remotely the same thing. This discussion is about inlets and the differing diameters. Just don't.
Attached Images

03-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #18
boostE92d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

I think I might be ok with the "frankeneffect " on tuning and hardware. It will definitely make fratricide a forgone conclusion when it comes to people who think he wrote the n54 tuning bible.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Nothing wrong with VTT, in fact it's our preferred recommendation for inlets and outlets. VRSF has another good inlet option too.

As far as choosing the size, choose the right size for today.

If you go bigger turbo down the road (which 99% of people say and never do), it's a quick sell in the classifieds for a used inlet, then just buy the appropriate one needed at that time. They are cheap enough anyway where in the grand scheme of costs, it's pretty trivial.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #20
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Nothing wrong with VTT, in fact it's our preferred recommendation for inlets and outlets. VRSF has another good inlet option too.

As far as choosing the size, choose the right size for today.

If you go bigger turbo down the road (which 99% of people say and never do), it's a quick sell in the classifieds for a used inlet, then just buy the appropriate one needed at that time. They are cheap enough anyway where in the grand scheme of costs, it's pretty trivial.
Jeff, have you seen the RB stock side inlets installed? I'm curious if they'll stay on - or slip off - the rear turbo like the stock inlet does over time...

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #21
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
Jeff, have you seen the RB stock side inlets installed? I'm curious if they'll stay on - or slip off - the rear turbo like the stock inlet does over time...
FWIW, I've had the RB's on for a year now with zero issues. I was just very careful installing them making sure the inlet and clamp were fully seated.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #22
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
FWIW, I've had the RB's on for a year now with zero issues. I was just very careful installing them making sure the inlet and clamp were fully seated.
Thanks for the comment! Did you have to update your tune with the RBs and are you "feeling" better power?

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0