F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > FEM module causing AC issue due to coding?
proTUNING Freaks

03-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

FEM module causing AC issue due to coding?

Hi, Guys,
Long story short:
I retrofitted a steering wheel with paddle shifter about two years ago, in the process, I needed to route a wiring from the FEM module to the Steering wheel Column, which work properly for about two years without issue.
I never removes the steering wheel when I take it to dealers for service, they didn't give me any grief about it neither.
I took my car in for service (oil, coolant, etc) about two months (Jan-17) ago before my warranty expires on (Feb-23rd, 17). After I got the car back from the dealer, the FEM was reset and most of the coding I did were gone (cold/warm check for headlights LEDs, mirror folding, really simple things). I didn't think much of it and just coded them back. I didn't have to use the AC for a while at all, but last week, I noticed the air was not getting cool at all when we got to 90F in Phoenix.
I took my car into the dealer today and they told me there is a wiring causing interference with their diagnostic, which I assume is for the steering wheel paddle shifters. They wanted to remove the wire first and run labors etc for it.
Does anyone has any experience regarding the FEM interfering with the AC? Do I need a new FEM module or can it be damaged? I kept all the backups for my VO, I will try restoring them prior to the dealer service first and update on the status.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Do you have a copy of ISTA+?

It is always nice to have the same diagnostic software that dealership uses so you can see the same information.

I have not done the wiring, but I have coded multiple cars for the new wheel and never had issue.

Can you clarify what you mean by backups of VO? FA should not change that often and you can only have one loaded at a time for VO coding as well as written to VCM.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Do you have a copy of ISTA+?

It is always nice to have the same diagnostic software that dealership uses so you can see the same information.

I have not done the wiring, but I have coded multiple cars for the new wheel and never had issue.

Can you clarify what you mean by backups of VO? FA should not change that often and you can only have one loaded at a time for VO coding as well as written to VCM.
I don't have a copy of ISTA but I used e-sys to code some VO changes (FA) when I retrofitted the NBT last September. In there, someone from the forum coded it for me remotely and he loaded an alternative VIN to the NBT with an emulator.
Long story short, I must haven't used AC since September.

After j posted this yesterday, dealer called and said it's probably software because he had a tech diagnosed the problem and found no signal going from FEM to inform the compressor clutch to turn on. He said I should removed all after market parts and recode all modules back to factory, no thanks .
Anyhow, I took the car back and used a backup with the original FAs and coding the FEM. The AC is ice cold again.

Where can I get a copy of ISTA? Also, is there a toturial available how to use it? The car is out of warranty now so I won't just take it to dealer for them.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
Where can I get a copy of ISTA? Also, is there a toturial available how to use it? The car is out of warranty now so I won't just take it to dealer for them.
I previously linked location for what to get. It is really easy to use. There are manuals and help guides part of software.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I previously linked location for what to get. It is really easy to use. There are manuals and help guides part of software.
Great, thanks. I will get it through there. I was viewing on my phone and that linked didn't redirect.
Have a good one.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
Great, thanks. I will get it through there. I was viewing on my phone and that linked didn't redirect.
Have a good one.
Alright. If that does not work. You can also request here.
Appreciate 0