Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Larger rolling diameter

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Rocklicker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 6mt

Garage List
Larger rolling diameter

Hi All,
Has anyone purposefully run a slightly larger rolling diameter? I'm tossing around the idea of getting 18" summer wheels but keeping the same sidewall profile for a larger rolling diameter.

Possible benefits:
1. The BMW speedometer won't lie anymore. I've calculated mine at ~7% faster than actual against GPS. All BMW's intentionally do this to some degree, and it's really annoying.

2. Less wheel arch gap, without dropping (I have an XI and shitty roads)

3. Maintain 17" cushion with 18" rims (shitty roads)

Possible cons:
1. Affects gearing. I have a 328 with 6MT.
2. Raises the vehicle a smidge.

The gearing thing is real, because to target enough increase in diameter to cancel out the speedo lie it will create taller gearing. I don't care about 0-60 but I do care a lot about driveability. I can run numbers all day long but first hand accounts are way better!
Raising the vehicle a smidge I don't care about, as it's an XI wagon. If it gets too high I'll just put tan plastic cladding on the bottom third of the car

So has anyone done this? Any pictures to share?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Aside from everything you mentioned (which are all true) I think the biggest issue may have to do with wheel clearances inside the arches. I would think that on large bumps (enough to compress the suspension fully) you would have a lot of tire interference with the inside fender linings. Also full lock steering could cause the same problem. I don't know this from personal experience, but its the main thing I would think would be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
Rocklicker
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Excellent point. Seeing what some people get away with on slammed suspension makes me hopeful on that front though!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

See sig
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Rocklicker
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Awesome, that's pretty much what I was thinking of. Got any pics of your car? (I can't find a user gallery feature?)

Unfortunately your car would be apples to oranges on the gearing issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=11

Looks a bit different now given that I added spacers (10mm), M3 LCA, sp perches up front and went to a 15mm spacer in the rear.

You should be able to use google image search to find other user examples as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Rocklicker
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Looks pretty good, IMO. Makes me want to put a spacer on the rear of my square winter setup. I wouldn't mind the extra fraction of an inch of ground clearance either, this grocery-getter trim already has a worse breakover angle than my last car, a very non-pedestrian Mazdaspeed 3.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
Palestine
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
I actually ran a super huge set on 19s 245/45 275/40 definitely don't recommend as I wore the hell out of my fender liners on full lock and bumps , the front mainly.i was on max height kw v1 . you could probably run something slightly smaller rolling diameter and get away with it.

also depends on your suspension.
E90|330xi|SGM|Terra Cotta interior|Forged1 Wheels(one side red the other city lights)|M3 Rep Front Bumper|Msport Rear Bumper|KW V1 Coilovers|K&N Air Filter|OEM Black Grille|Red Cyba Air scoops|DIY Gloss Black Side Splitters|Tee rear splitters|Monkey Air Freshener|
Appreciate 0