BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Looking for MP coilover track review

03-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Looking for MP coilover track review

I've read just about everything available on the MP coilovers and it still seems early. I was wondering if anyone with the MP coilover kit has gotten a chance to take them on the track.

How do they perform compared to other DA coils you've had in the past?

Easily adjusted?

Has anyone ran the stock suspension on track and then switched to the MP coilovers? That would be a great comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prollig View Post
I've read just about everything available on the MP coilovers and it still seems early. I was wondering if anyone with the MP coilover kit has gotten a chance to take them on the track.

How do they perform compared to other DA coils you've had in the past?

Easily adjusted?

Has anyone ran the stock suspension on track and then switched to the MP coilovers? That would be a great comparison.
Nothing first hand, yet.

So, I was lucky enough to get a lap around VIR with Mike Renner (BMW Performance Diving Instructor, and much more) in an M2 with the MP coilovers last spring. First time seeing and riding in an M2 as well. The lap was just surreal! Mike had spoke very highly of the MP coilovers that day, and mentioned the same in Roundel as well. That pretty much sold me, I was originally planning on getting another set of Ohlins. In addition, I just feel this kit will offer more flexibility in regards to setup as well.
Prollig118.00
      03-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

there's not a lot of info. But there are a couple of threads/reviews on the MP coilovers.
I'm going to be purchasing the MPs sometime next week. And putting them on mid April. Just in time for my third track day with the m2.

Would be cool if someone could review (back 2 back) a stock M2 and the performance edition one...
      03-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #4
Twt
Captain
Rep

If you search my posts you will find some of the info you are requesting. I tracked my car at both Road Atlanta and AMP before and after installing the MP coilovers. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. To start with the price is great, no M tax. The car drives about the same on the street, in the recommended settings. On track body lean was significantly less. My track times were much better, but I did swap tires, so my raw data tells me they are 2 seconds faster per lap.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
If you search my posts you will find some of the info you are requesting. I tracked my car at both Road Atlanta and AMP before and after installing the MP coilovers. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. To start with the price is great, no M tax. The car drives about the same on the street, in the recommended settings. On track body lean was significantly less. My track times were much better, but I did swap tires, so my raw data tells me they are 2 seconds faster per lap.
Thanks for the feedback. I also noticed quite a bit of body roll on the stock M2 suspension. But that's compared to an e36 track car with solid bushings and coilovers.

But if you can reduce body roll and get similar compliance on street roads, then that's what i'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I also noticed quite a bit of body roll on the stock M2 suspension. But that's compared to an e36 track car with solid bushings and coilovers.

But if you can reduce body roll and get similar compliance on street roads, then that's what i'm looking for.
As for street... the MP CO's reduces roll and are very compliant. It increased road feel and confidence. If I didn't know I did it... the ride comfort is very similar using the recommended spec's. I had My M2 corner balanced, ride height fine tuned and tow set to the MP CO spec. I've been very happy after 3 weeks/500 miles of driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've been bothering my local dealer enough and instead of starting a new thread, does anyone know about installation and warranty voiding?

If the MP coilovers aren't installed by a dealer will that void your suspension warranty?

One of the main attractions to this setup is keeping the warranty in tact.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #8
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

My understanding is that you need a BMW dealer to install it in order for you to get the benefit of the warranty. You might find a nice dealer occasionally to put a claim in even if you didn't have them do the install but it's probably the exception to the rule.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 03:51 AM   #9
Twt
Captain
Rep

This is a ridiculous rule..any decent shop can install these. I had mine installed by the shop that also corner balanced the car....which is half the reason for buying these. Good luck finding a dealer who can do that! I will just hope that BMW will stand behind the parts if they fail.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #10
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

The deal killer on these, for me, was the inability to increase camber. I went with Ohlins with custom spring rates, and Vorshlag plates.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #11
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
The deal killer on these, for me, was the inability to increase camber. I went with Ohlins with custom spring rates, and Vorshlag plates.
I'm confused...no coilovers allow you to adjust camber. I used GC plates with my MP coilovers and everything is now adjustable.
Appreciate 2
Robban267.00
Prollig118.00
      03-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #12
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm confused...no coilovers allow you to adjust camber. I used GC plates with my MP coilovers and everything is now adjustable.
Twt Are the GC camber plates solid or rubber bushing? The car still feels alright on the street? No harness or NVH?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Blur View Post
As for street... the MP CO's reduces roll and are very compliant. It increased road feel and confidence. If I didn't know I did it... the ride comfort is very similar using the recommended spec's. I had My M2 corner balanced, ride height fine tuned and tow set to the MP CO spec. I've been very happy after 3 weeks/500 miles of driving.
Did you have it corner weighted with you in it? - If you are going that far, may as well go all the way!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #14
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
Did you have it corner weighted with you in it? - If you are going that far, may as well go all the way!
The shop always asks for the drivers weight to corner balance correctly....does not add any cost/ time to do it right.

Last edited by Twt; 03-21-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #15
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Twt Are the GC camber plates solid or rubber bushing? The car still feels alright on the street? No harness or NVH?
I believe they are solid but you retain the factory rubber piece on top of the spring. It is a very well made product that is fuilly adjustable. I did not notice any noise issues and the ride did not suffer.

http:// http://www.ground-control-st.../II=994/CA=187
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #16
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

i just bought the MP coilovers.
Gonna install them in a couple weeks with ground control plates.
Roads around here are really rough. So i will provide my opinion on ride comfort soon.
      03-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
I corner balanced while I was in the car. My first corner balance at West End, Darin's statement toward whether or not to corner balance... his response was "I would corner balance my grandmothers car". Now that's a strong statement toward the value of corner balancing!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #18
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I corner balanced while I was in the car. My first corner balance at West End, Darin's statement toward whether or not to corner balance... his response was "I would corner balance my grandmothers car". Now that's a strong statement toward the value of corner balancing!
I agree. The guy who sets up my suspension is a former Ferrari team crew chief and he says you are wasting your money on track mods if you don't balance first. He did my C5Z for years, my M2 and even our e30 Chump....it really helps.
I wish I had my pre and post corner balance numbers but he likes to keep his settings "private" but suffice to say the car is over 100lbs off in the front in factory trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #19
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Darin and West End are the best. Night and day difference on my track car. Worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #20
champ_87
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
i just bought the MP coilovers.
Gonna install them in a couple weeks with ground control plates.
Roads around here are really rough. So i will provide my opinion on ride comfort soon.
Did you get yours installed yet? Wondering what your opinion is on ride comfort. Roads around me here in Minnesota are horrible and while I want to lower my car a bit, I would really prefer to not compromise any ride comfort (improving it over stock would be ideal).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #21
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ_87 View Post
Did you get yours installed yet? Wondering what your opinion is on ride comfort. Roads around me here in Minnesota are horrible and while I want to lower my car a bit, I would really prefer to not compromise any ride comfort (improving it over stock would be ideal).
So I installed my MP coilovers like 2 weeks ago. I only have driven 200 km on the street. I set the suspension at factory settings. As expected, the ride is stiffer than stock. I notice it more at lower speeds. Roads around here are bad. Lots of irregular roads and broken pavement. Similar to New England (US) I have to add that I have camber plates and adjustable endlinks which do not help for comfort. I dont daily drive my M2. But if I had to. I could. In my opinion the added stiffness is not so bad. There is still room to make the suspension feel softer.

Later this week, I will change the rebound and compression to the softest settings. And see how it rides. I will report back.
      04-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #22
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

And now for my brief track review.

Our local track is short. 2.4 km. This was my third track day with the M2.
Before installing MP coilovers, my best lap was 1:28.41. With MP installed my best lap was 1:27.43. I have to add, that our track day was cut short. I only got 2 sessions in when it started pouring rain. I was just getting used to the new setup so I'm sure I can shave a couple tenths off that time.

Car has less body roll now. And it is more tail happy, which I like. But there is still tons of grip at the back. This car is a joy to drive. Pretty happy. Not much more I can say right now. My next track day will be in june. Can't wait...