E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Hearing a random loud rattle - video included

03-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
kisarci
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Hearing a random loud rattle - video included

So for about a year now, this random rattle noise comes back for a day or two at a time every couple months. It does not affect the performance at all. It is very inconsistent with how fast I am going. Sometimes it only rattles at lower speeds and sometimes only at higher speeds. Last year when I heard it for the first time, I had gotten a new front bumper with a custom lower grille. At first, I thought the grille got loose so I secured it down. The noise went away from a few months. Then it returned..So I checked my grilles again but they were not loose at all. Then it went away for a few months and came back again; constantly back and forth like this. Fast forward to the present. So after really listening for the noise, I feel like I am hearing it more towards the cabin this time. I have an OCC installed, maybe that got loose....Nope. I replaced injectors, plugs, and coils recently so I double checked all that. I checked my RB internal PCV/cap, crankcase hose, and anything loose that can cause a rattle but I just cannot find the source! There are no loose wires or hoses dangling around. But the noise went away today so I can't even troubleshoot until it comes back again probably in like 2 months...lol...

Here's the clip...

03-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
Snypa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Like a mahdman !

I almost wanna say radiator fan. You def changed a lot in respect to the engine. Unless you felt jerking or loss of power, I probably wouldn't have done those changes, not a bad thing though. Has it ever happened around town or just highway? It could also be the gaurd underneath the car, the big one or the small ones.

Thanks