BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Emergency braking - is it standard?

03-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
jcompleto
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, X1 F48

Question Emergency braking - is it standard?

Hi all,

I've speced my future M2 without the drivers assistance package. Does it have any active emergency braking system as standard?

I've read mixed opinions in other forums. Some say that all new BMWs have an auto emergency braking as standard even without the drivers assistance package. Others say that is only included with the package... in the case of the M2, what is true?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It is not standard and even if you have it, it will not prevent you from hitting something or someone. It will just lessen the impact. It does not have the capability of full stop emergency braking.
      03-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

It should be the same system as on the 228i tested by the IIHS. The optional system (in the executive package on the M2) reduced the speed by 10mph on a 12 mph collision and reduced the speed by 7 mph in a 25 mph collision.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...oor-coupe/2017
If the speed is under 10 mph based on this, there is a possibility it could avoid a collision.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
      03-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I find this feature a bit perplexing. Subaru has a system that stops the car completely. Honda has a system that stops the car completely. Toyota has a system that stops the car completely. So if my car is going to have this invasive nanny system, how come it does not completely stop the car? If it is going to intervene at all and make me get rear ended perhaps, then why not stop completely at 12 mph vs just dropping it to 2 mph? It's odd. I'd love to hear the rational.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 04:58 AM   #5
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have not been able to find any good information about how this system actually works. I really do not want to be put in a situation where I'm in total control and the car decides that I'm about to hit the car in front of me and activates the brakes and I end up getting rear ended...

Any experts out there?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

It does also alert you audibly when braking is required, with adequate time for you to brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
OldDirtyCoaks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
It does also alert you audibly when braking is required, with adequate time for you to brake.
I’ve had the brake warning light come on at the track, in fact I use it to judge my distance when I am setting up to pass.

The one thing that worries me is if the autobraking kicks in on the track, because I am frequently a few feet behind someone at 140-180kmh and if the car autobrakes at that speed it could easily cause an accident.

So does it exist? How is it triggered and how can we turn it off?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDirtyCoaks View Post
I’ve had the brake warning light come on at the track, in fact I use it to judge my distance when I am setting up to pass.

The one thing that worries me is if the autobraking kicks in on the track, because I am frequently a few feet behind someone at 140-180kmh and if the car autobrakes at that speed it could easily cause an accident.

You literally just push a button to turn it on or off. I dunno why this is an issue
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
somberlaine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (ED 6/6/19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDirtyCoaks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post

I don't know about the breaking but The warning is triggered by both the distance from the car in front of you and the speed at which you are approaching said car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
I find this feature a bit perplexing. Subaru has a system that stops the car completely. Honda has a system that stops the car completely. Toyota has a system that stops the car completely. So if my car is going to have this invasive nanny system, how come it does not completely stop the car? If it is going to intervene at all and make me get rear ended perhaps, then why not stop completely at 12 mph vs just dropping it to 2 mph? It's odd. I'd love to hear the rational.

Mike
The main reason why the brake to stop feature is not standard has to do with the the quality of the cameras/radar sensors. To offer a full 1g brake to stop feature you need to be VERY sure there is an actual object in front of you. If you use single or even stereo camera system things like plastic bags and columns of steam from man whole covers can be interpreted as object, causing unnecessary and potentially hazardous braking at high decelerations. This can lead to rear ending.

So to offer the feature most OEMs need camera and mid range radar systems. If you rely on camera alone you can also find yourself in Tesla situation where the car should brake and it doesn’t.

So this is why there are flavors of this feature out there. The less deceleration is provides the less integrity the manufacturer has in the sensing reliability of the camera/ultrasonic or radar systems offered. But if you have some sensors you might as well use them and sell a feature. So here we are.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #11
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

the honest answer is BMW is a small company. They dont have the economics of scale of a Toyota or Nissan. It was probably too expensive at the time when the M2 was being developed to install a full automous emergency braking system.

Subaru is partly owned by toyota, so they just use the toyota parts bin. These automouse and ai based systems are getting very system..hence why you see a lot of auto makers partnering up or just buying it from a supplier.

Its also one of the reasons you keep seeing FCA trying to find a big manufacturer to partner up with.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #12
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
the honest answer is BMW is a small company. They dont have the economics of scale of a Toyota or Nissan. It was probably too expensive at the time when the M2 was being developed to install a full automous emergency braking system.
I believe BMW already have the R&D and technology or close to it to accomplish full automatic braking but I assume would require too much overhead cost in equipment, for it to be profitable on a retail level, at the moment..

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I believe BMW already have the R&D and technology or close to it to accomplish full automatic braking but I assume would require too much overhead cost in equipment, for it to be profitable on a retail level, at the moment..

i'm sure they do... even Elon Musk said that developing tech is easy but building it on scale and at a profit is difficult.

keep in mind BMW sold a total of 330k total BMWs in the US last yr. FCA sells 600k Ram Trucks by itself in the US last yr.

I'm sure their per profit on each cars are high but their revenues overall is still compartively low.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #14
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Frankly, I don't think it has full braking because you can buy the car with a manual. In the end I think the audible warning is more than enough. This isn't a car meant to autonomous driving.
Appreciate 0