BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > New M2 Strange Engine Noise

03-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing Special

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
New M2 Strange Engine Noise

So Iv'e had this issue from day 1 and it's concerning. There is a high pitched metallic pinging noise that emits from the front of the engine bay whether the car is cold or I'm driving then idling. I have heard this sound in other BMWs and I believe this video is the closest in similarity. I dont understand how a new car can have bearings shot in the tensioner pully already. This is my first BMW and I was hoping someone who has experienced this can chime in. I have my first service scheduled in 2 weeks, any suggestions for my mechanic?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSULLY View Post
So Iv'e had this issue from day 1 and it's concerning. There is a high pitched metallic pinging noise that emits from the front of the engine bay whether the car is cold or I'm driving then idling. I have heard this sound in other BMWs and I believe this video is the closest in similarity. I dont understand how a new car can have bearings shot in the tensioner pully already. This is my first BMW and I was hoping someone who has experienced this can chime in. I have my first service scheduled in 2 weeks, any suggestions for my mechanic?
Have you ever owned a Direct injected car?

Injector pulse is loud and can sound metallic like that. I would doubt it's the tensioner, but you never know!
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Thanks for the feed back ashburyn54. Come to think of it my last weekend car was a 2012 STI, I don't believe they went D/I until 2015. The noise is not consistent in fashion to the revolution of motor speed or anything else for that mater. It comes and goes and sounds very similar to this video at 1:10 min only amplified. My problem is that i'm sure my service manager won't justify the labor for a small issue unless I can prove it's been a known problem. I already have other mechanical concerns, guess I'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feed back ashburyn54. Come to think of it my last weekend car was a 2012 STI, I don't believe they went D/I until 2015. The noise is not consistent in fashion to the revolution of motor speed or anything else for that mater. It comes and goes and sounds very similar to this video at 1:10 min only amplified. My problem is that i'm sure my service manager won't justify the labor for a small issue unless I can prove it's been a known problem. I already have other mechanical concerns, guess I'll see what happens.
There's nothing worse than an unknown annoying noise! I hope you figure it out!
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Quote:
There's nothing worse than an unknown annoying noise! I hope you figure it out!
Also, probably not it again but some other sounds people might hear is flywheel chatter. I believe our flywheel is pretty light for a dual mass, when my car is warm I can hear it really well, I enjoy it though. It's not aluminum single mass/blow your brains out loud.

And at certain times I can here a little metallic rattle up front, from the belt assembly, not nearly as loud as that but I've heard it. Along with upper engine noise from our light as hell 0w30. When I switch to ester based 5w30-40 redline oil Euro mix the car is much quieter. That weight shears like a 5w40, it's awesome. It's Probably the valvetrain. Significant difference, I'm going to run it all the time. I'm sure 300v is even better.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Thanks for the suggestions and comments guys, I'm convinced it's related to the belt drive system. My best bet is to make my own journal and request the dealership make record of my concerns & request detailed copies. I'm known already for being that neurotic PITA customer because I called ahead to my S/A requesting a "Top Tech" for my 1st service. Before handing them a 60K check & request not to wash, at delivery I pointed out noticeable scratching/marring on the entire top of the rear bumper. My guess is from the wires that check/top off the battery, also chips in the door frame from carelessness. My XPEL/Detailer cured some but not all problems. Wish I had the time & physical ability to work on my own cars still. First time in 12 years anyone but myself has worked on any of my vehicles. If someone experiences the same problem or has luck regarding this noise addressed by the dealer, please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

I created a similar thread about the chatter a while back:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1269389

As you can see FUMAN had it checked out by a BMW technician who deemed it normal. I still think it's too loud though.
Appreciate 1
MSULLY25.00
      03-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Prodigy, thanks for the repost I do remember seeing that before. Please keep me posted if anything worse becomes of it.
Appreciate 1
Prodigy.697.50
      03-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
MSULLY
Private Pyle
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Just to reiterate, the sound I'm hearing is a rapid higher pitch ball bearing tapping noise in/out of sequence. Almost if someone dropped a very small bearing into a spinning aluminum wheel. If no one has had any major issues by now I'll just keep an eye on it, thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 06:19 AM   #10
bMira23
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW:M2

Engine Noise

Is it like this noise??
I went to my dealers and they are checking where the sound comes from...
Do you guys know anything about it?
Thanks.

Last edited by bMira23; 05-18-2017 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0