E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 30ff code, pop noise, can't find any popped hoses

03-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

30ff code, pop noise, can't find any popped hoses

I had upshifted from 3rd to 4th and right after the upshift heard a pop noise and I got off the throttle. When I tried to accelerate again I got absolutely 0 boost and shortly thereafter got a reduced engine power message and I have the 30ff code.

I checked the entire intake track and all hose clamps look nice and tight. I re-installed my ER charge pipe and double checked the o ring is in tact and the c-clamp was correctly installed.

The only thing I couldn't see was the inlet to the rear turbo but if anything you'd think if something came loose it would be on the pressurized side but I guess anything is possible.

I know it code be vacuum leaks, wastegate issues, etc. I have 6 month old forge diverter valves so I didn't bother checking them.

Obviously this was just a visual inspection.

If I clear the codes and let the car sleep and then drive it again I get 0 boost before the reduced power light comes back on. not like I get lowish (6 - 7 psi) boost but absolutely no boost.

To help narrow down the troubleshooting does any of what I laid out point to something particular that I should check first rather than going on a wild goose chase.

Here is a log of WOT in this condition: http://www.datazap.me/u/mfish123/log...1&data=5-22-30

Last edited by mfish123; 03-04-2017 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Shane303
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post
I had upshifted from 3rd to 4th and right after the upshift heard a pop noise and I got off the throttle. When I tried to accelerate again I got absolutely 0 boost and shortly thereafter got a reduced engine power message and I have the 30ff code.

I checked the entire intake track and all hose clamps look nice and tight. I re-installed my ER charge pipe and double checked the o ring is in tact and the c-clamp was correctly installed.

The only thing I couldn't see was the inlet to the rear turbo but if anything you'd think if something came loose it would be on the pressurized side but I guess anything is possible.

I know it code be vacuum leaks, wastegate issues, etc. I have 6 month old forge diverter valves so I didn't bother checking them.

Obviously this was just a visual inspection.

If I clear the codes and let the car sleep and then drive it again I get 0 boost before the reduced power light comes back on. not like I get lowish (6 - 7 psi) boost but absolutely no boost.

To help narrow down the troubleshooting does any of what I laid out point to something particular that I should check first rather than going on a wild goose chase.

Here is a log of WOT in this condition: http://www.datazap.me/u/mfish123/log...1&data=5-22-30
There is a charge pipe that came apart. Either hot or cold side.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane303 View Post
There is a charge pipe that came apart. Either hot or cold side.
Do you say that only because of the pop noise I mentioned. Or does 0 boost and / or anything else I said also indicate hot or cold charge pipe. I may have missed something but when I checked both hot and cold all clamps look to be tight.

Also I just watched the rear turbo wastegate arm when my wife started the car
As soon as the car is started the barm gets pulled back into what I think is called the actuator (the circular thing where the arm protudes from the center) In other words the arm moves towards the rear of the car. Also when she revs the engine while in park the arm does not move. Is that the normal and expected behavior?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You are right. My MMP silcone outlet has a huge split along the length of the pipe. Grrrr! Must have exploded from the boost pressure and I'm only on stock turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #5
NA55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
You are right. My MMP silcone outlet has a huge split along the length of the pipe. Grrrr! Must have exploded from the boost pressure and I'm only on stock turbos.
Did it melt or just exploded? Can you post a picture?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 07:06 AM   #6
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA55 View Post
Did it melt or just exploded? Can you post a picture?
Didn't melt. Had good clearance on install and put heat tape where it is close to manifold. Literally exploded and made loud pop noise when it let go under WOT after an upshift. I could easily feel a big split several inches long when I squeeze the tube with my hand I'll post pictures when I get it fixed as soon as my mechanic can get to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
Shane303
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have been down this road once or twice
Appreciate 0