F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > M-Sport Bumper Retrofit - OEM vs Aftermarket
Extreme Powerhouse

03-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
TrustButVerify
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M, 2013 335ih

M-Sport Bumper Retrofit - OEM vs. Aftermarket Parts Required

There are several threads about retrofitting, but what I can't seem to find an answer for is parts required for the aftermarket install.

Retrofitting an OEM bumper requires a laundry list of brackets, deformation elements, supports etc, but the aftermarket bumper comes with a couple ducts and grills, and that's it.

Everyone seems to have these aftermarket bumpers installed with no issue or additional parts -- are the aftermarket bumpers designed to be retrofitted on a non-M Sport, which is why they don't need these additional parts, or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
slief
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

From what I have seen, the aftermarket M sport bumpers are replicas of the OEM ones. While the fitment of some are less than perfect, they all require the same M sport hardware that the OEM ones require for the upgrade. I think some forgo the foam support but that is at your discretion since it is there to protect the cars front structure in the event of minor impacts. Your best bet is to get the complete retrofit kit that includes the brackets, foam support etc. Selma seems to be the best regarded when it comes to the replica bumpers and body parts. Their complete kit can be bought for under $400 shipped. At least that is the case for my M30 with PDC, fog lights and headlight washers. Here is a link to one of their kits on eBay.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

The rep bumpers are made to fit on non m-sport cars. They reuse the non m-sport mounting locations, hence why a substantial less amount of pieces are necessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
From what I have seen, the aftermarket M sport bumpers are replicas of the OEM ones. While the fitment of some are less than perfect, they all require the same M sport hardware that the OEM ones require for the upgrade. I think some forgo the foam support but that is at your discretion since it is there to protect the cars front structure in the event of minor impacts. Your best bet is to get the complete retrofit kit that includes the brackets, foam support etc. Selma seems to be the best regarded when it comes to the replica bumpers and body parts. Their complete kit can be bought for under $400 shipped. At least that is the case for my M30 with PDC, fog lights and headlight washers. Here is a link to one of their kits on eBay.

+1 on Selma on Ebay. I got my M Sport front end and M sport side skirts from them. Had everything needed for install including foam support.

I had my INDY mechanic do the install and said it was almost perfect.
      03-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
///Master
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW M3 Coupe

+1 for SELMA or MBNational on eBay - good M-Sport bumper fitment & good prices! The bumpers may also come with all plastics / screws / pieces to save you more hassle and money.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschi View Post
+1 for SELMA or MBNational on eBay - good M-Sport bumper fitment & good prices! The bumpers may also come with all plastics / screws / pieces to save you more hassle and money.
How can I locate Selma anything on eBay, it doesn't come up on any search? Looking for f30 perf front lip and other stuff they make.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
How can I locate Selma anything on eBay, it doesn't come up on any search? Looking for f30 perf front lip and other stuff they make.
http://stores.ebay.com/Selma-Auto-Restyle
      03-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
http://stores.ebay.com/Selma-Auto-Restyle
Awesome thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #9
sicmadek
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i sportline

I wish they would sell the bumpers already painted like the spoilers
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
Black Sheep //M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

What if you get an OEM Sports bumper with all the grills without the other hardware (foam, air ducts, etc) could you still install that OEM sports bumper without the extra parts?

An answer would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Hey guys. What's the general consensus on good aftermarket base-to-msport bumper conversion kits? It seems like SELMA or MBNational don't have a m-sport version, only a m3 (one at the moment) in their eBay store. Interested in getting the front lip spoiler as well.
Appreciate 1
d_a_m92.50
      05-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #12
eddiehatchblack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 x-Drive Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanelko View Post
Hey guys. What's the general consensus on good aftermarket base-to-msport bumper conversion kits? It seems like SELMA or MBNational don't have a m-sport version, only a m3 (one at the moment) in their eBay store. Interested in getting the front lip spoiler as well.
There were some a few days ago, they must be out. I'm looking as well. Check with Ikon Motorsports too. They have a shop and an ebay shop. They respond super quick to emails (during the week) also.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanelko View Post
Is the one from Ikon considered the same quality as the one from selma? It would be nice to have it come pre-painted anyways since they offer that.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:07 AM   #14
d_a_m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Subscribed. I'm right in the middle of this dilemma too.
      08-20-2017, 03:42 AM   #15
javigongon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep //M View Post
What if you get an OEM Sports bumper with all the grills without the other hardware (foam, air ducts, etc) could you still install that OEM sports bumper without the extra parts?

An answer would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Ill be trying that this Week, except the vendor is giving me the air ducts, foam and central vent structure too. The only thing I won't have are the deformation structures.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #16
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

FWIW...

I went full aftermarket bumpers and side skirts (Selma) . On top of that I installed a full aftermarket MP aero package. Zero mods were required.

Oem parts included the carbon fiber bits, kidney grills, front bumper reflectors, MP rims (obviously), MP exhaust and MP decals + badges. I actually had the dealer install the vinyls for me too.

It all fit FLAWLESS with the exception of the following:
-Headlight washer covers aren't exactly flush on front bumper.
-MP front lip has minor gaps on the inner contact point along the center grill opening. I noticed this is typical with most of the folks on this forum who went aftermarket.

I wouldn't spend a premium on all OEM body parts. I would however considering an oem front lip IF I ever decided to throw some money away.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
isloth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

KC328_F30, very nice!

I'm in the process of doing this myself. Will save a lot of money going aftermarket/replica bumpers (rear, front). I've ordered all hardware parts separately and will post later the outcome of my install. Most items could be found on ebay.. just search by BMW part number and there will be aftermarket/replica parts for sale.

I didn't buy a whole M sport kit from an aftermarket brand or company because I could source/find each part priced lower on the internet.
Appreciate 1
7iM3less2595.00
      08-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #18
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustButVerify View Post
There are several threads about retrofitting, but what I can't seem to find an answer for is parts required for the aftermarket install.

Retrofitting an OEM bumper requires a laundry list of brackets, deformation elements, supports etc, but the aftermarket bumper comes with a couple ducts and grills, and that's it.

Everyone seems to have these aftermarket bumpers installed with no issue or additional parts -- are the aftermarket bumpers designed to be retrofitted on a non-M Sport, which is why they don't need these additional parts, or am I missing something?
I realize your post is months old and you have already done what you've done, but for the benefit of others, you should NOT use non-OEM in front or rear IF YOU HAVE SENSORS.

It is the reason Insurance Companies cannot use non-OEM (providing the owner or repair shop knew what they were doing) bumpers if sensors are involved.
Appreciate 0