E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Welded diff anyone?

03-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Beas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Skyline

Welded diff anyone?

so, LSDs are stupid expensive and open diffs are horrible. Anybody ran a welded diff on an e9x?? My question is how did all the electronic nannies in the car react to the diff being locked? Have people been able to permanently disable traction control? also did any other electronic systems go nuts?
      03-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
nckwrnr
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Are you looking to do some mad drifts?
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beas View Post
so, LSDs are stupid expensive and open diffs are horrible. Anybody ran a welded diff on an e9x?? My question is how did all the electronic nannies in the car react to the diff being locked? Have people been able to permanently disable traction control? also did any other electronic systems go nuts?
have fun with that if its going to be your daily driver...

BMW open diffs are horrendous shit. either buy an LSD or stop complaining.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
Sshec152
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Lmaooo
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
Beas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckwrnr View Post
Are you looking to do some mad drifts?
yes. been drifting other cars for several years now. 335i has potential. do you just get mad groceries in your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
have fun with that if its going to be your daily driver...
I drove a welded diff for 2 years as a daily. its no big deal. have you even been in a car with a welded diff?
      03-03-2017, 12:29 AM   #6
Manberg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

If the diff is welded, the wheels turn at the same speed... I'm assuming you're aware. However, the electronics would only intervene if they see a wheel slipping(as a characteristic of the open diff. its trying to overcome) and should never be an issue since its going to see you moving in(what it calculates to be) a strait line for the rest of time as far as he rear wheels go. I dont think traction control messes with the front wheels although seeing steering angle and rotational differences as normal in the front and no change in the rear may through the ABS for a loop.

^all just in theory here.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 03:54 AM   #7
JASE335
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 2008

Vid below - welded diff and MT ET drag radials = 11's

2008 (pre LCI) 335i E90 6AT Sapphire Black- MHD Wedge Custom E60 Map - Fuel It Stage 2 LPFP - Alpina Trans Flash - AFE Stage 2 Intake - RB Inlets & Outlets - Wagner Performance Intercooler - BMS catch can, RB PCV Valve - Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings - Dunlop Sportmaxx RT - M3 219M 18" Wheels - Akebono Ceramic Pads - M3 Steering Wheel & M3 DCT Paddles - M3 LCI Novillo leather full interior

Last edited by JASE335; 03-03-2017 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #8
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beas View Post
To answer the traction control question, yes, you can code out all the electronic traction systems.
      03-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #9
McLeanSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe Sport

I don't think a welder would be that bad. I ran one on my 328i and it was murder, but it had 200,000 miles and worn bushes everywhere so I got lots of diff/subframe movement when turning. I also only got to 1 event, so it wasn't worth the trade off in my eyes. Then I ripped my rear trailing arm off which was interesting. These are newer so wouldnt be as bad and if you can code out the traction control it'd be interesting to see how it does. I say do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

There are a couple guys who have done it and they seem to be holding up ok, but obviously it isn't something done by people who use the car as a daily driver. Despite being inexpensive it's not what I would consider a good modification. Plus if you want to sell the car you're back to needing to get a differential...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #11
nckwrnr
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

[QUOTE=Beas;21357998]yes. been drifting other cars for several years now. 335i has potential. do you just get mad groceries in your car?

Yeah sometimes I get groceries, shoot even put the kids in the car.

Check out the thread in the photo section the username Puckett he welded the diff in his car said it wasn't that bad you could ask him about some more details.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
Beas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manberg View Post
If the diff is welded, the wheels turn at the same speed... I'm assuming you're aware. However, the electronics would only intervene if they see a wheel slipping(as a characteristic of the open diff. its trying to overcome) and should never be an issue since its going to see you moving in(what it calculates to be) a strait line for the rest of time as far as he rear wheels go. I dont think traction control messes with the front wheels although seeing steering angle and rotational differences as normal in the front and no change in the rear may through the ABS for a loop.
good point. I didn't think about it like that. diff being locked would trick the car into thinking it always has traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
To answer the traction control question, yes, you can code out all the electronic traction systems.
thanks. that's what I was wondering. its been a few years since I owned my e90. a lot has changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
There are a couple guys who have done it and they seem to be holding up ok, but obviously it isn't something done by people who use the car as a daily driver. Despite being inexpensive it's not what I would consider a good modification. Plus if you want to sell the car you're back to needing to get a differential...
driving with a welded is really not bad at all. its only slow speed parking u notice it. if u are running some 285 street slicks or something maybe it would be worse. I never minded at all. my daily was a 400tq s14. I wouldn't recommend it if you are doing any road racing / autoX. rear end kicks out really easy in turns.