E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Delete your clutch delay valve

04-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Delete your clutch delay valve

I bought a 2006 330 to replace my 2002 325. Both are manual. Shifting in the E90 was a big change - it just didn't feel right. Looking around on the forums, it was suggested I delete or replace the clutch delay valve.

I was told that the E46 also has a clutch delay valve. I can't say if that is true or not, but nonetheless, the E90 has one, and it sucks. It just makes shifting feel wrong - specifically in 1st and 2nd gear.

I was getting some stuff done at the dealer and I asked the service guy if he knew anything about the clutch delay valve, cause I read it was probably the reason that shifting felt awful. He didn't know anything but we walked over to talk to the resident gearhead. I asked "what do you know about the clutch delay valve" and both he and the other guy at the parts desk start laughing. Turns out the gearhead removed his CDV the second day he had his 335. I'm like "did it make a difference" and he is like "oh my god..." and I'm like "worried it'll make the clutch wear out sooner' and he is like "if anything, it'll probably make it last longer."

So I went against my best judgement, and instead of replacing the clutch delay valve (so the dealer can't tell anything has changed), I had the dealer remove it. I was like "won't that void my warranty?" and they are like "we'll do whatever you want to the car, it only voids the warranty if we can show that the change caused the problem."

Point being - it makes ALL the difference. The second I drove the car after they removed it - it just felt right.

Last edited by fuhgetaboutit; 04-20-2008 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Yeah, I test drove an E90 335i and the shifting definitely felt a little akward. I don't know if that was mainly because the clutch is so light, but this is definitely going to be one of the first things I do.

The CDV will make the clutch disengage slower, meaning more slip, which means smoother for someone who doesn't know how to drive a manual, but it will definitely wear down the clutch a little faster over time as compared to just knowing how to drive.
      04-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
bsavic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: (sold) e90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgetaboutit View Post
Point being - it makes ALL the difference. The second I drove the car after they removed it - it just felt right.
Undescribable difference, feels like a $15k transmission swap, which is a steal at $20...

Savicbo
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

What was the point of this thread?

lol

Not all e46's have them, mine did, $35 "hollowed" CDV did the trick. I had to also do it within the first month of ownership, I've always driven manual transmission vehicles and the CDV just made my $30+k purchase feel like crap...

Seriously though, from what I said at first, just because your service person says removing it wont void its warranty is no reason to post a thread telling everyone to remove theirs. If they never knew they had it and have been acclimated to it over the duration of their ownership, they might as well leave it in as opposed to re-learning how to drive their own car's after removing it. Also, I doubt it would hold up that since so and so read a post that said some guys service department said it was ok to remove it, removing it shouldn't have voided someone else's warranty...

blah, blah, blah, time for me to go to bed...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
GeauxChadE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Black/Terra 325i Sport

is the only way to have the valve removed by going to the dealer? if so, what is an estimate of cost? if not, is there a DIY or would someone be willing to post one? other than feel and improving clutch life, are there any performance gains?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxChadE90 View Post
is the only way to have the valve removed by going to the dealer? if so, what is an estimate of cost? if not, is there a DIY or would someone be willing to post one? other than feel and improving clutch life, are there any performance gains?
No, the only way to do it is to do it yourself. The dealer isn't going to change something like this. However, it's a very easy and cheap mod to do yourself, take a look at the thread in the DIY section:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29828
      04-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
GeauxChadE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Black/Terra 325i Sport

thanks!!
Appreciate 0