THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Painting license plate numbers?

02-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

Painting license plate numbers?

Anyone know if it's legal to paint the license plate numbers? I am fully aware that license plates are not supposed to be tampered or altered with. This is mainly to avoid having people mess with the reflective coating which is used by cameras and cops to easily read the plate numbers. However, I'm talking about painting the numbers themselves in a way that they are still perfectly visible.

Reason I ask is because my car is currently all black and white. The license plate numbers are in red which is a bit annoying given my OCD, and with a white background (standard Illinois plates). I want to use some plasti dip (in case it needs to be removed at some point) and just cover the numbers in black. The reflective coating would be left intact, and the numbers can't be any more visible with black on white background. Before I do anything though I want to make sure there aren't any major red flags. Seems like an innocent modification but you never know...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

In NC and VA it is illegal. I think you'd be getting asked to get pulled over as cops may think you have a fake plate on due to its change.

Maybe try finding one of those Vanity plate most states have. Usually they are of different color and design (you may pay a bit more yearly for them though)
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuttea View Post
Anyone know if it's legal to paint the license plate numbers? I am fully aware that license plates are not supposed to be tampered or altered with. This is mainly to avoid having people mess with the reflective coating which is used by cameras and cops to easily read the plate numbers. However, I'm talking about painting the numbers themselves in a way that they are still perfectly visible.

Reason I ask is because my car is currently all black and white. The license plate numbers are in red which is a bit annoying given my OCD, and with a white background (standard Illinois plates). I want to use some plasti dip (in case it needs to be removed at some point) and just cover the numbers in black. The reflective coating would be left intact, and the numbers can't be any more visible with black on white background. Before I do anything though I want to make sure there aren't any major red flags. Seems like an innocent modification but you never know...
No tampering is allowed, anywhere, on license plates that affects readability, either for better or for worse. In fact, a number of states have banned the use of license plate covers -- even clear ones -- for just that reason. The law is such because readability goes beyond legibility and reflectivity of the surface behind the characters. For instance, a plate has to be readable by traffic and toll booth cameras, the latter of which are frequently NOT government operated. Also, initial plate identification is often done by color, particularly by out-of-state law enforcement.

The only physical modification you may (emphasis added) be able to make (check your specific state's laws) is to cut or file the edges to make it smaller. This is common in the motorcycling world -- and legal in many states as long as the plate is readable from the rear of the bike. What is not legal is how those rear plates are frequently mounted. If they're not readable, it's the mounting location and/or angle that is illegal, not the physical cutting of the plate.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Can't you just get a personalized plate, DARE jumps to mind, with better colors for you?
Appreciate 0