F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Night Vision Retrofit - F30/F80 FLIR LWIR Thermal
Studio RSR

02-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Zermatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Night Vision Retrofit - F30/F80 FLIR LWIR Thermal

Has anyone done a night vision (NV) retrofit on the F30/F80?

BMW uses FLIR Systems PathfindIR II which is a long wave infrared camera. This new system has integrated Animal and Pedestrian Detection (PD/AD) whereas version 1 didn't.

I was considering doing third party install using the kit from FLIR but I came across a superbly cheap new BMW/FLIR camera Part # 66549322653 for $400.

Now needing to get a control unit, wire loom, driver assistant switch and appropriate cables. My goal is to integrate it as much as possible into the vehicle while the back up plan is to set it up as an independent system being displayed onto the screen via AUX video input. Wiring schematic on page 2 here.

I'll be updating this OP as I progress on this project but would appreciate any input from those who have any experience or insight. Particularly in the possibility of integrating it into the iDrive 4.0 or 5.0 and coding requirements (specially pertaining to possible HUD alerts).

There are existing threads on the cost/benefit of NV and quite frankly, its practical utility. Ive done some initial tests with NV and agree its not as quite as amazing as people initially think it maybe.

Therefore Id like to focus this thread on the technical aspects rather than "is it a worthwhile mod/retrofit".
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

If you are retrofitting the control unit from another vehicle, you would most likely need the FSC code as well, or to use an emulator to enable the NiVi module.

As far as coding, you might have a challenge getting it to accept the coding as the modules for the F30 such as HUD, FEM, and Kombi, might refuse the coding if you try to VO code it since there is no NiVi option code for the F30, but I'm sure it might be possible to work around. The control button might be a problem as well with the FEM since there is no FEM(so to speak) on the 5/7 series, and it might not recognize the signal from the button.

Physically the only challenge would be to modify to the grille to accept the camera, after that you can decide where best to try to mount the control unit.

Hopefully you are able to get this working, I've always thought it would be a nice(if extravagant) feature to have on my 3, but when I eventually upgrade to a 5, I would like to have it.
Appreciate 1
Zermatt88.00
      04-29-2017, 01:25 AM   #3
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zermatt View Post
Has anyone done a night vision (NV) retrofit on the F30/F80?

BMW uses FLIR Systems PathfindIR II which is a long wave infrared camera. This new system has integrated Animal and Pedestrian Detection (PD/AD) whereas version 1 didn't.

I was considering doing third party install using the kit from FLIR but I came across a superbly cheap new BMW/FLIR camera Part # 66549322653 for $400.

Now needing to get a control unit, wire loom, driver assistant switch and appropriate cables. My goal is to integrate it as much as possible into the vehicle while the back up plan is to set it up as an independent system being displayed onto the screen via AUX video input. Wiring schematic on page 2 here.

I'll be updating this OP as I progress on this project but would appreciate any input from those who have any experience or insight. Particularly in the possibility of integrating it into the iDrive 4.0 or 5.0 and coding requirements (specially pertaining to possible HUD alerts).

There are existing threads on the cost/benefit of NV and quite frankly, its practical utility. Ive done some initial tests with NV and agree its not as quite as amazing as people initially think it maybe.

Therefore Id like to focus this thread on the technical aspects rather than "is it a worthwhile mod/retrofit".
Any progress?
Appreciate 0