THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Focal Sub - v1 or v2

02-19-2017, 01:33 AM   #1
BWT
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Focal Sub - v1 or v2

Hi guys

Is it the v1 or v2 that fits the enclosure for the HK system in the 2 series?

I had a look on the Focal website but can't tell from the info they have provided.

Has anyone compared the Focals to the Jenherts?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
WhatSpeedLimit
Rep
Drives: E90 335i AW

Hi, I just installed the V2s in my 235 and they do not fit...well. The V2s come with a spacer bracket that has to be used in order to prevent the speaker from hitting the bottom of the woofer enclosure (which you need to reuse). But with the bracket applied, the entire speaker and speaker cover (a Focal part) sit up too high. Thus the BMW speaker cover which holds the carpet down doesn't sit on top of the BMW enclosure and Focal speaker entirely flush. I screwed it in place as best I could anyway but the carpet is a little loose all the way around. The cover doesn't vibrate because it is being torqued down onto the Focal speaker cover (which is metal). I just felt it looked better than leaving it off and seems to work OK.

It isn't perfect but worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
BWT
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSpeedLimit View Post
Hi, I just installed the V2s in my 235 and they do not fit...well. The V2s come with a spacer bracket that has to be used in order to prevent the speaker from hitting the bottom of the woofer enclosure (which you need to reuse). But with the bracket applied, the entire speaker and speaker cover (a Focal part) sit up too high. Thus the BMW speaker cover which holds the carpet down doesn't sit on top of the BMW enclosure and Focal speaker entirely flush. I screwed it in place as best I could anyway but the carpet is a little loose all the way around. The cover doesn't vibrate because it is being torqued down onto the Focal speaker cover (which is metal). I just felt it looked better than leaving it off and seems to work OK.

It isn't perfect but worth it.
Thanks for responding.

Would it work if you leave the Focal cover off and only use the BMW cover?

Does it sound much better thank stock and did you have the HK system?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
WhatSpeedLimit
Rep

Possibly but the Focal cover offers a lot of protection, it is metal and speaker grill and durable as hell. Since the woofer faces up, I preferred the added protection. The BMW speaker cover fits enough that it doesn't rattle and since it is under the seat you don't see that it is bowed. My car is at the dealer otherwise I'd snap a pic for you.

Sound wise, the base is much tighter. It isn't any louder just better. Not sure how else to describe it.

I replaced all the speakers with the Focal BMW IFBMW series and it sounds much better. I added the tweeter sails in the doors because I didn't have them (using focal tweeters). Still using stock amp and head unit. I also got rid of the center speaker and added the Technic harness to get rid of the engine sound.

I'm really happy with the setup now but you have to turn it up pretty high to get decent output but it is enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
jase2addict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp

I read a post by technics saying that aftermarket subs may harm the hk amp.HK amps are 8ohms. I have to focal in the front right now and would get the subs if they will not overheat the amp.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
WhatSpeedLimit
Rep

Not sure...I have the HiFi package so it's a different amp. Seems to work so far.
Appreciate 0