E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Soft Touch Repair?

02-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
absentmathis
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335

Soft Touch Repair?

Hey guys, long time BMW owner but new to e90s. I picked up a project '07 335 at auction a few weeks back for next to nothing. After a few engine repairs it's running pretty strong so I'm turning attention to aesthetics. One of the things letting down the interior is the dreaded soft touch finish. I've had this problem on e46, e39, e70...is there anything to do but buy new parts? The door panel handle and steering wheel are the worst. Any ideas?

I might also look to paint the chrome window trim if anyone has a link to a good DIY.

The car is black on black, manual trams, sport pack, hifi audio. It had the HPFP done already and I've done some injectors and cooling system repairs. Also VCG was leaking badly and replaced that straight away.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #2
Brandicular
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by absentmathis View Post
Hey guys, long time BMW owner but new to e90s. I picked up a project '07 335 at auction a few weeks back for next to nothing. After a few engine repairs it's running pretty strong so I'm turning attention to aesthetics. One of the things letting down the interior is the dreaded soft touch finish. I've had this problem on e46, e39, e70...is there anything to do but buy new parts? The door panel handle and steering wheel are the worst. Any ideas?

I might also look to paint the chrome window trim if anyone has a link to a good DIY.

The car is black on black, manual trams, sport pack, hifi audio. It had the HPFP done already and I've done some injectors and cooling system repairs. Also VCG was leaking badly and replaced that straight away.
Man, I was just lamenting my scratched up door panel handles not 30 minutes ago. Would love to hear what you find out.

As far as the window trim, I had mine done in a satin black vinyl wrap, along with the roof. Never had much luck with painting chrome, as it can flake off very easily.

I had a pro shop do the work. The chrome took about 45 minutes, the roof was a while longer. Thrilled with how it turned out. Very durable, and looks like it was painted.

Last edited by Brandicular; 02-17-2017 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
supergoat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan

I scratched that shit off my steering wheel and door switches at the first sign of it peeling. There was a very nicely textured black plastic underneath that looks so much better than that soft touch crap and looks like how the car should have came from BMW.

So that's my advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

I have a beige interior that needs some touch ups here and there.

I'm contemplating matching a quart of flat latex paint, from a home improvement paint department ... using either a good quality photo/print or piece of molding.

Has anyone tried this?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

plastidip
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
The steering wheel trim piece is $70, I honestly would suggest that it's not worth attempting paint with how easy it is to swap out and the relatively low cost. Not to mention the value of the aesthetically perfect new part vs. questionable other techniques. Plasti dip will not hold up, don't waste your time on that.

I haven't looked into the door handle trim personally since my OP had them done under warranty, but I can't imagine they're terribly expensive.

For the window trim I picked up a roll of black vinyl from shadowlinetrim.com, it's cheap ($20-30) and much easier to apply than paint and will definitely be tougher against chipping or other blemishes.

Come to think of it, if you're really on a budget you could probably vinyl wrap the steering wheel trim and door handle. The matching of color and sheen would be the only concern there.
Appreciate 0