E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cleaning wheels

04-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Cleaning wheels

Hi,

I have a '07 328xi with the stock 16" painted alloy wheels, however I didn't clean my wheels for a good 2 weeks and they got dirty to the point where there was like a good layer of black brake dust on them.

I cleaned them and there's black spots that are real tough to remove. I don't know if they're melted on rubber or brake dust spots?

It's like you clean the wheels after they had alot of brake dust on them and the spots remain there after cleaning.

I tried a old claybar that has been dropped, a Mr. Clean wheel cleaner bar, car wash soap and Turtle wax wheel cleaner and they don't get the spots out.
The Mr. Clean wheel cleaner bar seems to work but to the point it would take me forever to rub the same spot it would take me all day to do all 4.

I can take pics if that will help.

How do I get these black spots out?

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
I would start with this if clay didn't take it out P21 Wheel Gel The least strongest..

If that didn't work..either of these might get it. Wheel and Rim cleaner Or this, Grime reaper

You may have to step it up to a acidic wheel cleaner too like this one, Wheel Brightner Really Strong stuff! Be careful!!

If I were you though...keep at it with the clay, and move up the cleaners you want to try!

(Pics would really help us tell too!!)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I used the Mothers Power Ball Mini on my wheels with 3M Rubbing Compound a while back. My hopes were not high, but after use I was more than happy with the results.

Check out the link!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ower+ball+mini
      04-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshare325 View Post
Or this, Grime reaper

You may have to step it up to a acidic wheel cleaner too like this one, Wheel Brightner Really Strong stuff! Be careful!!

(Pics would really help us tell too!!)
Just ordered these 2 items! I have stuff that's similar to the P121 wheel cleaner and the cirtus cleaner and they don't work well enough.

My mother's '00 Deville wheels are bad (they rarely get washed, maybe 5-6 times a year) and I got a call from my dad asking me how to remove baked on brake dust cuz they were a bitch where the brake dust exits the wheels.

Thanks for the links!

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Don't look so close.

It drove me crazy to begin with, now I just stand a bit farther back and they look great.

If/when you get them to the point you are comfortable, be sure to put something like the PorrBoy's Wheel sealant on them, will save you lots of work in the future. Mine haven't gotten any worse since using it, and they shine pretty well after a wash.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

lol just spent an hour washing the rims with a brush and meguiar's wash...lol didn't have anything else but it seemed to do the job for the most part, still a few small spots but i'll save that for the tough cleaners
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
Hi,

I have a '07 328xi with the stock 16" painted alloy wheels, however I didn't clean my wheels for a good 2 weeks and they got dirty to the point where there was like a good layer of black brake dust on them.

I cleaned them and there's black spots that are real tough to remove. I don't know if they're melted on rubber or brake dust spots?

It's like you clean the wheels after they had alot of brake dust on them and the spots remain there after cleaning.

I tried a old claybar that has been dropped, a Mr. Clean wheel cleaner bar, car wash soap and Turtle wax wheel cleaner and they don't get the spots out.
The Mr. Clean wheel cleaner bar seems to work but to the point it would take me forever to rub the same spot it would take me all day to do all 4.

I can take pics if that will help.

How do I get these black spots out?
i stopped reading after that, cringed, and just went

I think everyone's got you covered though.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
martyl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

There is a thread on this problem on Bimmerfest in their detail section. I tried what they said and it worked. RainX bug and tar remover gel and then use an old credit card that gets under those baked on spots to scrape them off. It's a lot of work and time consuming but it's effective.