E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What parts I need for VCG replacement for n51?

02-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #1
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

What parts I need for VCG replacement for n51?

Wanted to order a gasket kit, but turns out it lacks some parts that should be replaced while you are at it. You would think by now every store should sell a complete kit, but nope - still have to double check and google search

So far I came up with this list (and none of the kits on market sells all this in one kit (probably will have to order separately):
1. valve cover gasket
2. valve cover bolt set (only replace if aluminum - thanks Bamaben)
3. eccentric shaft sensor gasket
4. valvetronic motor gasket
5. RTV (silicone sealant)
6. secondary air valve gasket (n51 specific?)

complimentary (may do while cover is taken off):
7. change spark plugs

Anything I'm missing?

P.S. Here's list (thanks to joekitch) of tools needed (for future searches):
METRIC SOCKET SIZES (8mm, 10mm)
TORX SOCKET SIZES(E8, E14, E18)
TORX DRIVE SIZES (T20,T30)
ALLEN WRENCH SIZES (5mm, 4mm)
OPEN-END WRENCH SIZES (10mm)
-C-clip pliers for the glow plug surrounds, make sure they grip inwards (pulling together instead of spreading apart)
-a very very deep socket 10mm socket for the grounding wires. at least 1" clearance
-mechanic's gloves. they help.
-multiple sizes of socket extensions and a universal joint thingy for getting bolts in funky places (especially the back of the valve cover)
-torque wrench, you dont want to do this job again so make sure you tightened the damn valve cover bolts enough!
-some krazy glue, the breather valves on the underside of the valve cover like to pop out when you're removing it, those need to be glued back in LIBERALLY

Tips (taken from DIY joekitch):
- torque wrench is VERY IMPORTANT.
- also be advised, some parts of the job are going to be a huge pain. off the top of my head i remember the valvecover breather hose (use a screwdriver to press in one side of the two squeeze clip things), getting the valve cover off (removing it from all the clutter will be a pain, make sure to get it past the windshield wiper surround metal thing attached to the firewall before trying to pull it out more).....and then getting it back on.
- AND DO NOT OVER LOOSEN THE ECCENTRIC VALVE SENSOR SCREWS, THEY CAN FALL OUT INTO THE ENGINE. just loosen them a bit and see if you can slide the sensor out, only loosen them as much as you need to and no more.
- the secret to getting the valve cover off and back on (which is to force the top rear of the valve cover past the piece of metal coming out from the firewall, you'll know what it is when you get to it, it'll make it seem like the cover is impossible to get off at first)
- also when you're disconnecting the injector plug rail, use a lot of force to yank it off.

Pelican guide for VCG replacement: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

Some youtube video DIY guides for VCG replacement:

Last edited by n55jb4; 02-17-2017 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #2
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

If your bolts are not aluminum don't need to replace them. See if magnet sticks to them

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 1
n55jb4130.50
      02-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
dstrickland
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 325I

A few points that are missed.

1. Don't YANK that fuel injector harness. Used a mechanics pic & move the metal clips off the side of each injector & the harness will pull off easily. Just yanking on it could break the connectors.

2. Save yourself a ton of headache of trying the get the valve cover out & in by removing the windshield wipers & the plastic shielding brackets that run underneath them. This allows you to pull the valve cover straight off, no need to try to maneuver it in and out.

I probably do 5 of these a week, I can now finish the job in 75min flat.
Appreciate 1
n55jb4130.50