THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics New sound system.. Jehnert Flatline, JL Audio, etc

02-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
adema24
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

New sound system.. Jehnert Flatline, JL Audio, etc

After listening to the piss poor stock system for way too long, I decided it was time for an upgrade. After reading countless threads, both on this forum and others, I finally decided on which components to use.

- Amp: JL Audio XD600/6v2
- Front doors, under seat woofers, and tweeters: Jehnert Flatline system, which is composed of the XE200 woofers, XM110 door speakers, and XE26 tweeters. This is a package deal which includes two sets of crossovers.
- Rear speakers: JL Audio C2-400x
- Amp harness off Ebay

Once everything arrived, I took my car to a local shop (for those in the Dallas area, Bonnie and Clyde Stereo) to get it all installed. It took them all day to do it, but the install was very clean. Initially the installer had the gain turned up really high on the rear speakers, so I was getting an overpowering rear soundstage along with extremely noticeable hiss. Once I turned the rear gain all the way down, the hiss vanished and soundstage vastly improved.

That was two weeks ago. Since then, I've had a chance to let the speakers break in and just enjoy much better sounding music.

My reference songs are "Rain" and "Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr" by Trivium, and "The Glass Prison" by Dream Theater. The rock and metal genre is pretty much all I listen to. All music is flac files being played by a Sony NW-ZX2.

With this setup, I am hearing incredibly more detail than before. The bass is not earth shattering by any means, but the tightness and punch is astounding. The clarity sounds superb and I find myself not wanting to turn off the car until a song finishes. Playing the songs above, I'm discovering way more guitar notes and drum hits than before. To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

If any of y'all are in the Dallas area and want a listen, just let me know. Anyways, back to

Last edited by adema24; 03-01-2017 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by adema24 View Post
After listening to the piss poor stock system for way too long, I decided it was time for an upgrade. After reading countless threads, both on this forum and others, I finally decided on which components to use.

- Amp: JL Audio XD600/6v2
- Front doors, under seat woofers, and tweeters: Jehnert Flatline system, which is composed of the XE200 woofers, XM110 door speakers, and XE26 tweeters. This is a package deal which includes two sets of crossovers.
- Rear speakers: JL Audio C2-400x
- Amp harness off Ebay

Once everything arrived, I took my car to a local shop (for those in the Dallas area, Bonnie and Clyde Stereo) to get it all installed. It took them all day to do it, but the install was very clean. Initially the installer had the gain turned up really high on the rear speakers, so I was getting an overpowering rear soundstage along with extremely noticeable hiss. Once I turned the rear gain all the way down, the hiss vanished and soundstage vastly improved.

That was two weeks ago. Since then, I've had a chance to let the speakers break in and just enjoy much better sounding music. I don't have any special tools or golden ears, but for right now, this is the setting I'm using.

My reference songs are "Rain" and "Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr" by Trivium, and "The Glass Prison" by Dream Theater. The rock and metal genre is pretty much all I listen to. All music is flac files being played by a Sony NW-ZX2.

With this setup, I am hearing incredibly more detail than before. The bass is not earth shattering by any means, but the tightness and punch is astounding. The clarity sounds superb and I find myself not wanting to turn off the car until a song finishes. Playing the songs above, I'm discovering way more guitar notes and drum hits than before. To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

If any of y'all are in the Dallas area and want a listen, just let me know. Anyways, back to
Yes. I want to listen! Been curious about how the Jehnerts sound, not to mention the JL Audio amp.

Question: Do you run the ASD-delete harness from TechnicPNP? I have a feeling that hiss is the ASD amp still feeding its nasty-ass noise floor into your signal chain. Add that harness and you can increase the gain on the CXs and really let them breathe.

Ping me, man. We have a somewhat similar taste in music, too (I've got a Gojira CD in at the moment, if that's any indication)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
adema24
Private
Rep

I don't have the ASD delete harness, however if it gets rid of the hiss then I will for sure order it. While the rear gains were turned up, the CXs really impressed me, especially only costing $100. With them turned all the way down, I can barely hear them.

Gojira, nice, I haven't listened to them yet but I have heard good things. I use the AUX connection so I play my songs through the Poweramp app and use its EQ. If I hook up the Sony through USB, I lose all that.

I use the song "Rain" because it is super fast and thrashy throughout, and then towards the end there is a killer breakdown. Like inciting a riot type of breakdown. "Pull Harder" has an incredible drum intro and it's really cool being able to hear all the drum hits.

I should add that I have the base hi-fi system, so my car didn't come with any tweeters. I had to buy the sail panels.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adema24 View Post
I don't have the ASD delete harness, however if it gets rid of the hiss then I will for sure order it. While the rear gains were turned up, the CXs really impressed me, especially only costing $100. With them turned all the way down, I can barely hear them.

Gojira, nice, I haven't listened to them yet but I have heard good things. I use the AUX connection so I play my songs through the Poweramp app and use its EQ. If I hook up the Sony through USB, I lose all that.

I use the song "Rain" because it is super fast and thrashy throughout, and then towards the end there is a killer breakdown. Like inciting a riot type of breakdown. "Pull Harder" has an incredible drum intro and it's really cool being able to hear all the drum hits.

I should add that I have the base hi-fi system, so my car didn't come with any tweeters. I had to buy the sail panels.
All the more reason for me to hear it; I have a Hi-Fi system, too ... and my Aux jack is defective (haven't replaced it yet), so I'm forced to use the CD player or my iPhone for hi-res files (all of my rips are CD-quality Apple Lossless; I use a Mac Mini as a music server at home, so it makes sense for my setup).

That Dream Theater track is a good reference as well; lots of dynamism across the frequency spectrum. I'll bring a couple of my own reference songs.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

OP, do you have any more pics of the amp/crossover install?

Where'd you order the Jehnert's from?

I take it you're not using the center channel either?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
adema24
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
OP, do you have any more pics of the amp/crossover install?

Where'd you order the Jehnert's from?

I take it you're not using the center channel either?
I don't have anymore pictures as the shop did the install. I do know that the shop removed part of the metal bar at the original amp's location. They also mounted the new amp to a custom board. The crossovers are just above the amp. They fit snugly and don't move around.

Yes, not using the center channel. You don't need it.

I ordered the Jehnerts from Don at Unexpected Creations. He is one of the only US dealers you can buy them from. He's on the forums. Contact info is don@unexpectedcreations.com
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
adema24
Private
Rep

Well I ordered the Technic ASD harness and got it installed today. Following this excellent write up (http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1202389), it took less than 30 minutes to install.

There were reports of the harness possibly eliminating the hiss that an aftermarket amp produces; however, while it did reduce the hiss, it did not eliminate it. I was able to turn up the gain for my rear speakers significantly and the fronts a little, though. If I turn the gains up a lot, the hiss appears.

I've switched to using these settings for my amp. I think it's as good as I can get the sound without a DSP. Turning up the rear gains helped fill out the sound nicely. I compare using my PSB M4U 1 headphones, which are super neutral.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      02-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
shocksim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT

I've got a hiss in my system with the same amp. Coded ASD out then eventually bought the harness, still have a hiss.

Been too lazy to troubleshoot too much. Just lowered the gain on the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #9
shocksim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT

I've got a hiss in my system with the same amp. Coded ASD out then eventually bought the harness, still have a hiss.

Been too lazy to troubleshoot too much. Just lowered the gain on the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #10
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Yes. I want to listen! Been curious about how the Jehnerts sound, not to mention the JL Audio amp.

Question: Do you run the ASD-delete harness from TechnicPNP? I have a feeling that hiss is the ASD amp still feeding its nasty-ass noise floor into your signal chain. Add that harness and you can increase the gain on the CXs and really let them breathe.

Ping me, man. We have a somewhat similar taste in music, too (I've got a Gojira CD in at the moment, if that's any indication)
GOJIRA?! We'd so totally be buds. NONE of my friends here can take their music, even though they appreciate the musicianship.

OH! And I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, the JL Audio amp sounds great. Not like I've compared it to any other aftermarket amp but it's far better than stock. And JLA amps are known for quality build & sound. If I'm missing something in my sound, I ain't hearing it.

(oh SNAP that's a good one there!)
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65 View Post
GOJIRA?! We'd so totally be buds. NONE of my friends here can take their music, even though they appreciate the musicianship.

OH! And I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, the JL Audio amp sounds great. Not like I've compared it to any other aftermarket amp but it's far better than stock. And JLA amps are known for quality build & sound. If I'm missing something in my sound, I ain't hearing it.

(oh SNAP that's a good one there!)
Heh. Noice!

I'm still warming to Magma -- it's somewhat the same kind of stylistic switch that Baroness made with the Yellow and Green -- but those French dudes kick ass like no other French band has before, man.

I'm 90 percent certain I'm gonna install a JL 600/6v2 next weekend. Wanted to try an Alpine PDX-V9, a stacked 4x/2x Alpine PDX or Focal FD setup, but I've gotta think about replacement underseats, too (I'm waffling between the Bavsound Ghosts and the Jehnert Flatlines), and my budget's about $1,200 right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #12
jase2addict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp

Mike do you have to get a mobride module to put in the amp in?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase2addict View Post
You mean a MObridge? Nope. Both the 2 Series Hi-Fi and HK are totally analog after the HU. The only things to consider are the voltage of the HU line-outs (between 3V and 4V, IIRC) and that they're differential balanced (a twisted pair of matched, mirrored positive lines per channel -- as opposed to balanced, which includes a third line as a negative ground).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #14
BWT
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase2addict View Post
You mean a MObridge? Nope. Both the 2 Series Hi-Fi and HK are totally analog after the HU. The only things to consider are the voltage of the HU line-outs (between 3V and 4V, IIRC) and that they're differential balanced (a twisted pair of matched, mirrored positive lines per channel -- as opposed to balanced, which includes a third line as a negative ground).
So can any amp be used or only the ones which accept balanced differential input?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
So can any amp be used or only the ones which accept balanced differential input?
Only ones that accept balanced differential inputs. Off the top of my head, those include:
- All JL Audio
- All Arc Audio
- Alpine PDX series
- Mosconi
- Audison
- higher-line Zapco
- most Focal
- Rockford Fosgate Power series
- some Kicker

Many DSP units can take balanced differential signals from the HU and convert it for other amps, kind of like an LOC. Three that I know can for sure are Audison, Helix, and AudioControl.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 05:56 AM   #16
BWT
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Only ones that accept balanced differential inputs. Off the top of my head, those include:
- All JL Audio
- All Arc Audio
- Alpine PDX series
- Mosconi
- Audison
- higher-line Zapco
- most Focal
- Rockford Fosgate Power series
- some Kicker

Many DSP units can take balanced differential signals from the HU and convert it for other amps, kind of like an LOC. Three that I know can for sure are Audison, Helix, and AudioControl.
Thanks for the list of amps. Have been thinking of upgrading so the list is very handy to have.

Would you know if on the HK system, the ASD sound comes through only the 2 rear speakers or other speakers as well?

Also, if I used the Technic add an amp harness with the JL Audio Amp, would all the parking sensor sounds come through to the correct speakers?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #17
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the list of amps. Have been thinking of upgrading so the list is very handy to have.

Would you know if on the HK system, the ASD sound comes through only the 2 rear speakers or other speakers as well?

Also, if I used the Technic add an amp harness with the JL Audio Amp, would all the parking sensor sounds come through to the correct speakers?
As far as I know, ASD emits primarily from the rears on both Hi-Fi and HK systems -- however, some lower-frequency ASD sounds go to the underseats, too. System sounds other than ASD emanate from the HU/iDrive and are balanced front to back, so parking-sensor tones shouldn't be adversely affected by those who (I'm assuming here) choose to go with a fronts-only setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #18
Mr Reality
Mr Reality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x6

Maybe a bad ground connection

I used the Technic PNP harness with a alpine mrv-m500 and a alpine sws-12D4 sub in a tuned ported box I have no hissing noise just crystal clear music. JL audio are great amps back in the day Precision Power were the best their team left and went to JL audio. The shouldn't had to cut any wires to hook up your system

Last edited by Mr Reality; 04-17-2017 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0