E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Thump changing gears

02-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Thump changing gears

Every since I installed my MFactory LSD, subframe bushings, diff bushings, M3 front control arms I've experienced a *thump* whenever changing gears. It started off only happening when I put the car in gear from neutral, which is normal with the LSD I believe, but then it started happening between 1-2, 2-3 shifts as well.

If I'm sitting at a light in neutral and I push the gear shifter forward without disengaging the clutch, I can make the thump happen. It then will not occur when I eventually shift into 1st. Also, if I disengage the clutch for a few seconds before shifting, the thump doesn't happen.

I was just going to deal with it, but I recently had my turbos and engine mounts replaced, and it was way better for a week. Now it's back. This makes me think that it has something to do with play in some suspension components, maybe the control arms?

I read some threads about people having similar issues but I saw nothing conclusive with respect to fixing it. Any thoughts on what my problem is?
      02-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
kisarci
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

The thump from neutral to 1st is normal according to Mfactory in one of their information threads on their LSD. It shouldn't happen when going to 1-2 or 2-3 to my knowledge. Sounds like what you said, could be a little play in suspension parts. My friend has the same problem too. He's just gotten used to it over time but I'm interested myself why this happens as well.