E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335 Diagnosis Help - Bad Catalytic Converter?

02-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
K.M
New To All Of This
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E92

335 Diagnosis Help - Bad Catalytic Converter?

EDIT: Running 90, consistent over several tanks of fuel, no noticeable power loss

Recently, on moderate acceleration and everything above, a pretty putrid smell comes through my vents from the engine bay. It isn't burning oil, nor is it a sulfuric, rotten egg smell like I've seen many posts about - I can best describe it as sour mold. The harder the acceleration, the stronger the smell.

After plenty of forum searching, I'm a bit torn between the cause. My idle is a little rough - right after I start the engine, it has a normal RPM, but I have noticed it is a bit shakier than usual; every couple of seconds, there is a subtle jolt. Also, my exhaust is a bit louder than so believe it should be.

I've been led to believe, from my research, that this could be a collapsed catalytic converter, or a bad coil. However, I don't have nearly as bad of symptoms as others report with these issues.

I have no errors at all coming through the dash. Car has many miles (133k), and has an oil leak (damn those gaskets). Car also has a JB3.

Anyone know what the cause may be? If it is a catalytic converter, is it possible to salvage one from a yard? Would it be bad to remove it altogether (my city does not require emissions tests)? I can't shell out $2k for a dealer fix right now.

Thanks!

Last edited by K.M; 02-09-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.M View Post
EDIT: Running 90, consistent over several tanks of fuel, no noticeable power loss

Recently, on moderate acceleration and everything above, a pretty putrid smell comes through my vents from the engine bay. It isn't burning oil, nor is it a sulfuric, rotten egg smell like I've seen many posts about - I can best describe it as sour mold. The harder the acceleration, the stronger the smell.

After plenty of forum searching, I'm a bit torn between the cause. My idle is a little rough - right after I start the engine, it has a normal RPM, but I have noticed it is a bit shakier than usual; every couple of seconds, there is a subtle jolt. Also, my exhaust is a bit louder than so believe it should be.

I've been led to believe, from my research, that this could be a collapsed catalytic converter, or a bad coil. However, I don't have nearly as bad of symptoms as others report with these issues.

I have no errors at all coming through the dash. Car has many miles (133k), and has an oil leak (damn those gaskets). Car also has a JB3.

Anyone know what the cause may be? If it is a catalytic converter, is it possible to salvage one from a yard? Would it be bad to remove it altogether (my city does not require emissions tests)? I can't shell out $2k for a dealer fix right now.

Thanks!
your city does not require emissions? I would not hesitate to install a downpipe. Like right away. with a tune it will definetely be less then 2 grand and the gains/sound are great.

as for the oil leaks, make sure to get those gaskets fixed as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
K.M
New To All Of This
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
your city does not require emissions? I would not hesitate to install a downpipe. Like right away. with a tune it will definetely be less then 2 grand and the gains/sound are great.

as for the oil leaks, make sure to get those gaskets fixed as well.
I'd certainly do this if, in fact, the issue is rooted in the catalytic converter. I'm starting to think the engine may be misfiring though. Anyone have expertise in this area?
      02-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.M View Post
I'd certainly do this if, in fact, the issue is rooted in the catalytic converter. I'm starting to think the engine may be misfiring though. Anyone have expertise in this area?
you need to do a walnut blast.

any codes? start with the intake blasting as this will smooth out your idle. from there, you can determine whether you need new coils and stuff like that.

you definitely need to also do something with your stock cat.
Appreciate 0