E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Muffler delete drone

02-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Muffler delete drone

who here is running catless downpipes, and a muffler delete? I like the sound of it a lot, and I want something more than my "PE mod", and I wouldn't mind ditching 40-50 lbs. My PE mod has the slightest hint of drone at 2400 rpms, and I'm wondering how much worse muffler deletes would be. I have an e90, but an X pipe in place of the resonator, so coupes would be closer to what my car will sound like. I can deal with some drone/ exhaust noise, but interior rattling, vibrance kinda drone I cannot handle. Anyone got a video or something like that?
      02-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

I run that and it sounds apeshit good IMO. Get nothing but compliments about the noise, went to the drags and when i pulled up to get my slip after loads of people came up and said the car sounded absolutely mental. Regularly scare the living fuck out of people winding out a gear slowly then hitting them with DCT bang and then MHD bangs and gurgles, no shit have had people jump and scream.

So without question it can be mental. However its also almost stock like with the windows up, especially on the highway providing you stay out of the same drone zone you are referring to with the PE mod. That zone is still there, id imagine the drone is more pronounced with the delete but occurs at the same times, so take you usual drone spots, the muffler delete will drone there too, just louder.

I negate this largely by driving in manual and driving it like a sports car should = no drone. If you drive around in D and let the car lug around and choose its own RPMs you are gonna get drone.

I love it, its the only way an N54 sounds good IMO and i want my car to sound as good as it goes. Easy for it to sound tame too, wish i did it sooner, first drive is a bit loud, but then it quietens down alot more and you will get used to it. Also if you drive with music, you wont even hear it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
Kevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Alpine White 6MT

I still have the resonator but as weird as it sound the drone was less after installing down pipes
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
Wavey 335i
Legend
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Individual E92 335i FBO

I went with muffler delete with catless downpipes.

I have a few clips on my instagram. @w8vyg
It is very loud and lots of drone which gets annoying, luckily its not my daily driver for me to care as much.

To answer your question about rattle, there is lots of it with this set up and even though I drive it on the weekends I'm considering putting a box in.
      02-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I'm also running the the muffler delete and replaced with race mufflers. It drones fairly bad around 2400-2600 rpm. Other than that it sounds badass straight up. The 6-speed helps to stay out of drone and cruising over 75 mph is quiet.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #6
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Oh and with regard to interior rattles, you will pick up one in the backseat. The little centre console in the back will ratte, i stuff some socks in there and it stops mostly.
Appreciate 0