BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Dumb HVAC Question

01-31-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Dumb HVAC Question

OK, I officially give up. I'm new to the BMW brand and I'm having a dumb issue with the HVAC controls. There's 2 rotary knobs that control the cabin temp settings; one driver's side, one passenger's side. I've been through the manual and am still not finding how to lock these together so that simply adjusting the driver's side temp also brings the passenger's side temp along with it. That must be possible, right?

If the cabin temp is set to 68 and I want to bump it up to 70, do I really need to dial driver's side to 70, then dial passenger's side to 70 as well?
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Unfortunately not...you can't lock the two dials together. This is one of my (minor) pet peeves as well
Appreciate 3
      01-31-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
Unfortunately not...you can't lock the two dials together. This is one of my (minor) pet peeves as well
Well that's just dumb!

Oh well, minor complaint. Every time I get a little bent out of shape about these minor inconveniences, I have to remind myself that there once was a time I drove an 87 Tercel that burned a quart of oil with every tank of gas, had no reverse, and had to be push started at least 50% of the time.
Appreciate 3
      01-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
Well that's just dumb!

Oh well, minor complaint. Every time I get a little bent out of shape about these minor inconveniences, I have to remind myself that there once was a time I drove an 87 Tercel that burned a quart of oil with every tank of gas, had no reverse, and had to be push started at least 50% of the time.
Yeah, it's silly...not that I don't love the car still, but such a small quirk that should have been a no brainer to correct
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E92 M Sport / 2008 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
OK, I officially give up. I'm new to the BMW brand and I'm having a dumb issue with the HVAC controls. There's 2 rotary knobs that control the cabin temp settings; one driver's side, one passenger's side. I've been through the manual and am still not finding how to lock these together so that simply adjusting the driver's side temp also brings the passenger's side temp along with it. That must be possible, right?

If the cabin temp is set to 68 and I want to bump it up to 70, do I really need to dial driver's side to 70, then dial passenger's side to 70 as well?
Have you tried pushing the drivers side control button.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsches Blut View Post
Have you tried pushing the drivers side control button.
I assume you mean the button in the center of the driver's side temp control knob? It's for "Auto" on/off. Yes. That has no impact on the situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 01:35 AM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:

Is there no sync or all button?
Appreciate 1
Joshd6353.00
      02-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #8
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
This generation has removed the sync option. Had it on my E92, lost it with the F22 & F87 we have now.
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2372.50
      02-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
My F30 was the same as my F87, was a PITA at first, but u get used to it.
      02-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:

Is there no sync or all button?
No
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2372.50
      02-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #11
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Does it default to a "sync" state when the system is first turned on?

i.e. if you hit the fan off button, then hit Auto again, will that set the temps the same?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #12
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Does it default to a "sync" state when the system is first turned on?

i.e. if you hit the fan off button, then hit Auto again, will that set the temps the same?
Sync and Auto are two very different things.

There is NO SYNC on the M2, meaning each side has to be controlled independently.

The Auto controls automatic airflow and direction to maintain cabin temperature to your setpoint. This will stay on whatever setting you leave it in - turning it on and off will not change the temperature setpoint.
Appreciate 2
ZPrime610.50
      02-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #13
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Sync and Auto are two very different things.

There is NO SYNC on the M2, meaning each side has to be controlled independently.

The Auto controls automatic airflow and direction to maintain cabin temperature to your setpoint. This will stay on whatever setting you leave it in - turning it on and off will not change the temperature setpoint.
Roger. That's somewhat different behavior to other German cars that have dual-zone functionality, that's why I was asking. In VW/Audi, IIRC turning the system "off" and then turning it back on by hitting Auto will also re-synchronize the two sides (driver's side wins). (Most of those cars will also have a "Dual" or "sync" button too, but this is another way to accomplish the same thing, so I was thinking maybe BMW would have that "feature.")
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Roger. That's somewhat different behavior to other German cars that have dual-zone functionality, that's why I was asking. In VW/Audi, IIRC turning the system "off" and then turning it back on by hitting Auto will also re-synchronize the two sides (driver's side wins). (Most of those cars will also have a "Dual" or "sync" button too, but this is another way to accomplish the same thing, so I was thinking maybe BMW would have that "feature.")
Indeed. I don't know wtf BMW was smoking when they designed this HVAC setup...
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      01-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #15
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

sorry to dig up an old thread, but found it looking for more info on the dial I find most curious - the red->blue horizontal dial just under the center HVAC vents.

It clearly changes the temp of the air (just from the center top vents?) and can do so pretty dramatically, but I'm confused as to it's purpose since the actual temp control dial(s) are right there.

Is there some other use for this that I'm unaware of?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #16
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

That is a uniquely BMW thing. It does just as you said: change temp of the center vent. Why? I have no idea but to help blend different temp air from those vents. I kind of like it. Our 1999 E46 has it, not sure how far back BMW did this.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #17
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac View Post
sorry to dig up an old thread, but found it looking for more info on the dial I find most curious - the red->blue horizontal dial just under the center HVAC vents.

It clearly changes the temp of the air (just from the center top vents?) and can do so pretty dramatically, but I'm confused as to it's purpose since the actual temp control dial(s) are right there.

When I bought my first BMW in the mid 90s, I was told it was to keep warm air on your feet but cooler air to your face to help you keep alert while driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #18
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac View Post

I find it a handy feature and it is discussed here ...

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...e+control+vent
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #19
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Don't laugh but I was thinking of finding a black rubber band and looping it over both knobs. Turn one and you turn the other.