E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PE Mod review

01-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

PE MOD

Sooo after weeks of reading about the PE mod, I decided to look around for shops in my area who will do it for a reasonable price. Made the appointment last week and finally got it done today.

As I turned the car on I was quite disappointed, the car did not sound like it did when it was stock. Sounded much quieter actually. I drove off and was I wrong.. The car actually sounds almost similar to my old 350z (maybe even better.) I drive an automatic, and was quite surprised at how quiet the car can be in D, but once I put it on M1 and took off I was so impressed with the quality of the sound. Really makes me feel like I'm driving a german Inline 6. The car gurgles at downshifts and i love every second of it, It also does not drone either which is a plus. Overall I feel like the price of the mod was well worth it. If you guys want more info on what exactly I asked him to get done Let me know. I have posted a quick pull below. Mind you this is on stock cats and DPs.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

easy for the first 100 miles.. no full throttle pulls

after that, for the next 150 miles do lots of highway, city mix with revs to a variety of RPM's and a bunch of full throttle pulls

250 miles later, you will get the updated sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post

after that, for the next 150 miles do lots of highway, city mix with revs to a variety of RPM's and a bunch of full throttle pulls

Is this so the packing gets settled? I beat the crap out of it on my way home. LOL oops.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
HooDat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi 2008 | c63s amg 2019

Wait till you get Catless downpipes.. I'm running catless downpipes + PE exhaust and the sound is

2019 | w205 | C63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooDat View Post
Wait till you get Catless downpipes.. I'm running catless downpipes + PE exhaust and the sound is
Sooo excited haha problem is emissions down here is ass.. I need to befriend a certified state mechanic. For now, I have to slow my roll with mods. Have had the car for less than 6 months and am already almost at full boltons.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

Quote:

This makes no sense what so ever. You're not going to "Break in" a PE mod.
Appreciate 4
      01-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
This makes no sense what so ever. You're not going to "Break in" a PE mod.
Gotta break in that straight piping
Appreciate 3
      01-31-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedEM View Post
Is this so the packing gets settled? I beat the crap out of it on my way home. LOL oops.
nice job...

its not to break in any sort of piping. its let your ECU adjust for best sound and gains.

you ruin this process by doing full throttle pulls.

if you really wanted to, you can take off the muffler, do 250 mile process, put it back on, CAREFULLY do 100 mile process. then, the last 150 miles can be not so careful
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #9
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
nice job...

its not to break in any sort of piping. its let your ECU adjust for best sound and gains.

if you really wanted to, you can take off the muffler, do 250 mile process, put it back on, CAREFULLY do 100 mile process. then, the last 150 miles can be not so careful
Oh thanks for the advice. I didn't think this had any impact on the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

Quote:
It doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:01 PM   #11
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
Quote:
It doesn't.
Well then.. Can't wait for my morning commute. LOL strictly Manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #12
cyman83
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
nice job...

Lol ecu adjusts for sound and gains?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
nice job...

Please go back to whatever naturally aspirated hole you crawled out of.
Appreciate 3
      02-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #14
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Y'all are rough...
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #15
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
nice job...

WHAAAAAT?????? What kinda straight pipe are you smokin?!
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #16
alyqc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2008

[QUOTE=RatedEM;21203167]Sooo after weeks of reading about the PE mod, I decided to look around for shops in my area who will do it for a reasonable price. Made the appointment last week and finally got it done today.

As I turned the car on I was quite disappointed, the car did not sound like it did when it was stock. Sounded much quieter actually. I drove off and was I wrong.. The car actually sounds almost similar to my old 350z (maybe even better.) I drive an automatic, and was quite surprised at how quiet the car can be in D, but once I put it on M1 and took off I was so impressed with the quality of the sound. Really makes me feel like I'm driving a german Inline 6. The car gurgles at downshifts and i love every second of it, It also does not drone either which is a plus. Overall I feel like the price of the mod was well worth it. If you guys want more info on what exactly I asked him to get done Let me know. I have posted a quick pull below. Mind you this is on stock cats and DPs.

I want to know something about this PE mod build ... I'm doing this mod right now , did you put back all the packing inside(thing look like gray old hair) or you just remove it at 100% ?? If you put it back, did you split the packing between the two side or not

thanks !
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #17
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=alyqc;21207446]
Quote:
Sooo after weeks of reading about the PE mod, I decided to look around for shops in my area who will do it for a reasonable price. Made the appointment last week and finally got it done today.

I want to know something about this PE mod build ... I'm doing this mod right now , did you put back all the packing inside(thing look like gray old hair) or you just remove it at 100% ?? If you put it back, did you split the packing between the two side or not

thanks !
I split the packin between both sides! It def made the most amount of sense to me. Why would I completely pack one side and leave the other one empty?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO Bagged 08 E92 335xi (V2)

Quote:
I split the packin between both sides! It def made the most amount of sense to me. Why would I completely pack one side and leave the other one empty?
To clarify, the packing (fiberglass, I think) is only present on passenger side muffler in the stock exhaust as the driver's side muffler contains a small resonator. So now that that resonator is gone and replaced with straight pipe, you should split the packing evenly between the two mufflers.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #19
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayyy View Post
Quote:
To clarify, the packing (fiberglass, I think) is only present on passenger side muffler in the stock exhaust as the driver's side muffler contains a small resonator. So now that that resonator is gone and replaced with straight pipe, you should split the packing evenly between the two mufflers.
Yes that's why I split it. The car sounds like the VQ35 more than the n54 now. It's kinda bad ass actually. Let me know if you guys want anymore sound clips!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #20
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's why I split it. The car sounds like the VQ35 more than the n54 now. It's kinda bad ass actually. Let me know if you guys want anymore sound clips!
I'd really suggest golf tee modding it for a bit to see how you like that. Much more mean-sounding especially at low RPMs and cold start. You can even just unplug the actuator that leads to the vacuum line that controls the valve for a quick drive to test it out. Takes 5 seconds!
Appreciate 1
RatedEM64.00
      02-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #21
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayyy View Post
Quote:
I'd really suggest golf tee modding it for a bit to see how you like that. Much more mean-sounding especially at low RPMs and cold start. You can even just unplug the actuator that leads to the vacuum line that controls the valve for a quick drive to test it out. Takes 5 seconds!
Actuators already unplugged homie
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #22
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actuators already unplugged homie
Lol where there ya go! Next up catless DPs haha