E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Prepping for NoFlyZone

01-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Prepping for NoFlyZone

Looks like next event is scheduled for April 1st, and I finally have the car where I want it parts wise:

2009 135i AT (I know it's not a 335i, but way more help on this forum)
VRSF Downpipes
Catless Mids
PE Exhaust
Burger DCI's (debating relocated inlets before I go)
Alpina flash
Fuel it Stg2 w/fuel lines and E Sensor
CX FMIC
RB PCV
Phoenix Charge Pipe
Basic maintenence complete and new tires
MHD E60 Tune (debating custom tune before I go)

My question is, what challenges have you guys had at these roll racing events? I usually hear about misfire problems or limp modes, etc. I want to make sure the car is prepped right and I have spare parts just in case (spark plugs, coils, etc). I'm thinking tool kit and jack is a must to take, maybe a can of E85.

For those that have been there, how was your experience? Any tech issues? Anything I should prep for beforehand? I want to make sure the car runs strong all day for multiple passes and don't want to miss anything. What should I expect as far as trap speeds?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Bimmer 808
MT or bust!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport, 6MT

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2010 335i  [0.00]
I ran a very similar setup to yours at NFZ AZ (mods in sig). Probably the biggest difference is I'm running a custom E60 tune with stock, yes stock, airbox. Trap times varied between 139 and 144mph.

The biggest challenge for me was IATs and heat soak. Take a look at the logs below from back to back runs #2, 3, and 4.

12:50 PM http://datazap.me/u/lumikuke/log-147...0&data=4-17-24

1:03 PM http://datazap.me/u/lumikuke/log-147...0&data=4-17-24

1:24 PM http://datazap.me/u/lumikuke/log-147...0&data=4-17-24

My advice is to monitor your IATs and log each run. Interested in seeing how your CX stacks up.

Also if you don't have upgraded brakes it can get pretty hairy. The first time I did NFZ was with stock brakes and RFTs. The 2nd time with my current setup made a YUGE difference.

Have fun!
2010 E90 335i M Sport, MT - BMW PE; VRSF 7in HD; RB PCV; VRSF CP; Turbosmart KPB BOV; M3 Cowl; VRSF Cerakote DPs; Carly coding; ECS Scoops; Ziza interior LEDs; Fuel-It! Bucketless; Diff lock down brace V2; MHD E60 Map from BQ; Mishimoto OCC; Fuel-It! Ethanol Sensor; Apex 18x9 ARC-8's; StopTech slotted rotors; HPS pads; ECS brake lines; MMP turbos, inlets, outlets; 034 mounts; Kumho PS31s; BimmerLife coils

Last edited by Bimmer 808; 01-30-2017 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: fixed logs
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer 808 View Post
I ran a very similar setup to yours at NFZ AZ (mods in sig). Probably the biggest difference is I'm running a custom E60 tune with stock, yes stock, airbox. Trap times varied between 139 and 144mph.

The biggest challenge for me was IATs and heat soak. Take a look at the logs below from back to back runs #2, 3, and 4.

12:50 PM http://datazap.me/u/lumikuke/log-147...0&data=4-17-24

1:03 PM http://datazap.me/u/lumikuke/log-147...0&data=4-17-24

1:24 PM http://datazap.me/u/lumikuke/log-147...0&data=4-17-24

My advice is to monitor your IATs and log each run. Interested in seeing how your CX stacks up.

Also if you don't have upgraded brakes it can get pretty hairy. The first time I did NFZ was with stock brakes and RFTs. The 2nd time with my current setup made a YUGE difference.

Have fun!
Awesome. Thanks for the logs. I'm definitely interested how the CX holds up, I'll be logging the whole time I'm out there.

Good point about the brakes, I think Terry posted in a thread a while back he had some issues with stock brakes. I'll have to do a flush and swap pads before I go.

How many runs did you get in? How much time between runs?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Bimmer 808
MT or bust!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the logs. I'm definitely interested how the CX holds up, I'll be logging the whole time I'm out there.

Good point about the brakes, I think Terry posted in a thread a while back he had some issues with stock brakes. I'll have to do a flush and swap pads before I go.

How many runs did you get in? How much time between runs?
I did 9-10 passes in groupings of 3 or 4. Avg time between back to back runs was 15-20 minutes waiting in line.

Heading back to NFZ in March and hoping to run the new Fuel-It bucket-less and an upgraded FMIC. Holding off on inlets/outlets until I upgrade the turbos.

Also fixed logs up above.
2010 E90 335i M Sport, MT - BMW PE; VRSF 7in HD; RB PCV; VRSF CP; Turbosmart KPB BOV; M3 Cowl; VRSF Cerakote DPs; Carly coding; ECS Scoops; Ziza interior LEDs; Fuel-It! Bucketless; Diff lock down brace V2; MHD E60 Map from BQ; Mishimoto OCC; Fuel-It! Ethanol Sensor; Apex 18x9 ARC-8's; StopTech slotted rotors; HPS pads; ECS brake lines; MMP turbos, inlets, outlets; 034 mounts; Kumho PS31s; BimmerLife coils

Last edited by Bimmer 808; 01-30-2017 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: fixed logs up above
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Looks like next event is scheduled for April 1st, and I finally have the car where I want it parts wise:

2009 135i AT (I know it's not a 335i, but way more help on this forum)
VRSF Downpipes
Catless Mids
PE Exhaust
Burger DCI's (debating relocated inlets before I go)
Alpina flash
Fuel it Stg2 w/fuel lines and E Sensor
CX FMIC
RB PCV
Phoenix Charge Pipe
Basic maintenence complete and new tires
MHD E60 Tune (debating custom tune before I go)

My question is, what challenges have you guys had at these roll racing events? I usually hear about misfire problems or limp modes, etc. I want to make sure the car is prepped right and I have spare parts just in case (spark plugs, coils, etc). I'm thinking tool kit and jack is a must to take, maybe a can of E85.

For those that have been there, how was your experience? Any tech issues? Anything I should prep for beforehand? I want to make sure the car runs strong all day for multiple passes and don't want to miss anything. What should I expect as far as trap speeds?
Been to NFZ a few times now...and always leave satisfied having a good time. Never been a huge fan of Shift Sector personally for amateur racing as the little guys won't get much love or opportunity for runs at those events. Lots of other cool things going on though at Shift Sector if you aren't running the car and just spectating..

Every time I go I bring a full size jack, jack stands, tool kit, spark plugs, coil packs, injectors, diagnosis equipment, extra 100% e85 containers, logging equipment and some other spare parts. I may be going this coming April as well so would be cool to link up if we have other guys coming as well.

Best prep for the car would be shakedown runs well in advance on a stable tune prior to the event. I never leave tuning or changes on the table for the event - usually makes for a bad time from my experience. Meth is almost a necesity to continue to do back-to-back runs but I have done plenty of events without Methanol as well. I ran a CX Racing FMIC at quite a few events and it surprisingly does quite well. I have also ran a couple other brand FMICs as well VRSF 7" HD which has done bar none the best out of all the setups I have ran for IAT and heat soak, soon to be swapped out though..

First NFZ event my traps were around 141-142mph on a FBO+E85 setup - running Cobb E30 maps and basic bolt ons, but length etc changes from event to event and you can't take consistency unless you compare to cars on that same day IMHO unless just ballparking. Last event in November I did my best ever and for any of the Stock Turbo cars running that I saw. Hit 147.xx mph and can upload the slip if anyone wants to see with typical FBO+Inlets+E85 Setup. Oh I am a 6MT by the way so bit slower on the traps due to rowing the gears..

Hope that helps! Feel free to shoot me contact information via PM and we can link up
      01-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice, let us know how it goes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Bimmer 808
MT or bust!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
Been to NFZ a few times now...and always leave satisfied having a good time. Never been a huge fan of Shift Sector personally for amateur racing as the little guys won't get much love or opportunity for runs at those events. Lots of other cool things going on though at Shift Sector if you aren't running the car and just spectating..

Every time I go I bring a full size jack, jack stands, tool kit, spark plugs, coil packs, injectors, diagnosis equipment, extra 100% e85 containers, logging equipment and some other spare parts. I may be going this coming April as well so would be cool to link up if we have other guys coming as well.

Best prep for the car would be shakedown runs well in advance on a stable tune prior to the event. I never leave tuning or changes on the table for the event - usually makes for a bad time from my experience. Meth is almost a necesity to continue to do back-to-back runs but I have done plenty of events without Methanol as well. I ran a CX Racing FMIC at quite a few events and it surprisingly does quite well. I have also ran a couple other brand FMICs as well VRSF 7" HD which has done bar none the best out of all the setups I have ran for IAT and heat soak, soon to be swapped out though..

First NFZ event my traps were around 141-142mph on a FBO+E85 setup - running Cobb E30 maps and basic bolt ons, but length etc changes from event to event and you can't take consistency unless you compare to cars on that same day IMHO unless just ballparking. Last event in November I did my best ever and for any of the Stock Turbo cars running that I saw. Hit 147.xx mph and can upload the slip if anyone wants to see with typical FBO+Inlets+E85 Setup. Oh I am a 6MT by the way so bit slower on the traps due to rowing the gears..

Hope that helps! Feel free to shoot me contact information via PM and we can link up
Why are you getting rid of the VRSF HD? Do you have any logs with it at events? You said it was the best so far, what are you switching to and why? Curious because I'm looking at getting an HD.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
F80Mmm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 M3 ZCP, 09 E90 335i 6MT

When doing research, I noticed a lot of folks saying stock brakes are just as good as aftermarket and there's no real noticeable improvement if upgraded. Does aftermarket brakes show any positive stats at 130+mph?
2009 BMW 335i 6MT/MHD Wedge Custom E60/VTT Inlets/VRSF DP's/VRSF 7" HD FMIC/Boost Concepts FPM-1 E85 Fuel Pump/BMS DCI/BMW PE/ER CP/Tial BOV/BMS OCC/RB PCV/19" Gunmetal Forgestar F14's Deep Concave/Michelin PS4S/Ohlins R&T Coilovers/Swift Springs/Spec Stg 2+/Icon Motorsports M3 Rep Front Bumper
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Crack View Post
When doing research, I noticed a lot of folks saying stock brakes are just as good as aftermarket and there's no real noticeable improvement if upgraded. Does aftermarket brakes show any positive stats at 130+mph?
Obviously just upgrading the brake pads themselves offers the biggest bang for the back; even on the street...anything past that and you likely wouldn't notice a difference until you hit up a road course, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Great, thanks for all the info. I noticed that some people launch their cars from the starting point at the beginning of the runway and some hit the cones at 20mph before going WOT. What's the typical way people do their runs? I'll send you a PM to see if we can link up if you go. Where in SoCal you located? I'm in Santa Ana.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
Bimmer 808
MT or bust!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is pretty informative.

Last edited by Bimmer 808; 01-31-2017 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: fixed video
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

It's a good time. Have spare misfire parts and plan to have fun.

Ran 149mph in NFZ AZ in December with FBO/Inlets/E50. A RB E93 was running low 150s.

Pre Inlets I ran 145mph.

Plan on attending in March and hoping to hit 150-151mph. This mfactory flywheel shaved 10lbs and I now keep even with my buddy's Supra that hit 150-152 consistently at NFZ.

Make sure your brakes and tires are up to snuff
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Why are you getting rid of the VRSF HD? Do you have any logs with it at events? You said it was the best so far, what are you switching to and why? Curious because I'm looking at getting an HD.
I have too many logs that I honestly don't keep good track of, so I am not the best comparison point. These days I am all about simply having fun haha

Oh and reason why I no longer plan to run the 7" HD is because this little guy right here:

Quote:
Great, thanks for all the info. I noticed that some people launch their cars from the starting point at the beginning of the runway and some hit the cones at 20mph before going WOT. What's the typical way people do their runs? I'll send you a PM to see if we can link up if you go. Where in SoCal you located? I'm in Santa Ana.
Some people launch from the furthest point out - it can allow you to get a slightly higher trap but nothing crazy that people would think on paper. IMO a lot can go inconsistent on a launch especially on my car with a 6MT like mine so I prefer to do rolls all day long. Mostly from what I see companies, sponsors or guys trying to set bragging rights will run from a dig sometimes on most runs of the day. Not always though the case - lets say you and me want to mess around and decide after some rolls-ons we want to see what happens at the dig just for fun you just never know. Rolls for me also gives me a better foundation of where the car sits against other cars and what cars I can/can't try to run through the day.

I am located in the city of Yorba Linda, often in Anaheim about 10 minutes from Santa Ana. Not far at all lets link up for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrder View Post

Ran 149mph in NFZ AZ in December with FBO/Inlets/E50. A RB E93 was running low 150s.

Pre Inlets I ran 145mph.

Plan on attending in March and hoping to hit 150-151mph. This mfactory flywheel shaved 10lbs and I now keep even with my buddy's Supra that hit 150-152 consistently at NFZ.

Good traps for your setup. Are you 6MT, AT or DCT out of curiosity?
      01-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #14
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrder View Post

Pre Inlets I ran 145mph.

Got new tires ready to go and I'll be swapping pads and brake fluid. Are the inlets worth the extra 5-6mph? I'm debating installing them along with a custom tune before I go, just don't want to deal with possible issues as my car is pretty much running perfect right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #15
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Good traps for your setup. Are you 6MT, AT or DCT out of curiosity?
6MT, 335is clutch in the car. She runs consistent for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #16
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got new tires ready to go and I'll be swapping pads and brake fluid. Are the inlets worth the extra 5-6mph? I'm debating installing them along with a custom tune before I go, just don't want to deal with possible issues as my car is pretty much running perfect right now.
I went the Oct then Dec back to back all I changed on the car was inlets and allowing psi to carry some more up top. IATs at the starting line both days were within 10f. So I would attribute most of my gain to the inlets. I was consistent 143mph pre-inlets. Post I was mainly 147-148mph with the best of 149.7mph.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #17
Shane303
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Unfortunately IAT's are going to be an issue with the CX racing intercooler. Definitely recommend a better intercooler or water/meth. The core is terrible. I ran this intercooler for 8 months and was VERY disappointed. Switched to VRSF race 7.5" and the difference was clear between a good core and a ebay core.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane303 View Post
Unfortunately IAT's are going to be an issue with the CX racing intercooler. Definitely recommend a better intercooler or water/meth. The core is terrible. I ran this intercooler for 8 months and was VERY disappointed. Switched to VRSF race 7.5" and the difference was clear between a good core and a ebay core.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #19
natedog7700
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp

Quote:
Ive done hard braking from 180+mph down to 20mph. No brake fade at all. Stock is pretty sufficient unless you track your car and do repeated hard stops.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #20
natedog7700
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp

Quote:
This is pretty informative.
Ive seen this video before, one thing that keeps popping up in my head is the fact its a 328i. 335's come with bigger, better brakes. So i wonder how that would manipulate the results..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #21
Bimmer 808
MT or bust!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700 View Post
Ive seen this video before, one thing that keeps popping up in my head is the fact its a 328i. 335's come with bigger, better brakes. So i wonder how that would manipulate the results..
Maybe the biggest takeaway was the difference that new pads make. But for what it's worth, I know that when I switched out my stock brake for upgraded rotors it made a huge difference. Guys should be looking to replace stock brakes anyway with the E9X platform getting older.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #22
AK.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E92 M3

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [10.00]
Perhaps you should go get the inlets installed prior to NFZ. It's gonna be hot around that area and your turbos are gonna thank you for letting it breathe better after the inlets. Doing that and a better FMIC will lower your IATS by a good amount.
Appreciate 0