THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning B58 troubles

01-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
B58 troubles

Brought my car in at the beginning of January for a small oil leak. They did a diagnostic only that day and said the oil pan needed to be resealed. I shrugged it off because I knew that for a small leak that oil wouldn't be getting on part of the half shaft for the passenger side, and also there was oil up on what looked like the return line for the turbo. So I dropped my car off on January 23rd at 0700 to get the oil pan "resealed" as they said it was the problem, but I also had them check out that line that I saw oil on and took pictures of.

So I found out on my way to work that the car actually needs not only the oil pan resealed, but it also needs a new "Turbolader" which is German for Turbocharger.

The car only has 3400 miles on it, and it already needs a new Turbo and the oil pan resealed. Although I think the oil pan was fine and the oil was just coming from the turbo to begin with.

The crappy part is that I've changed rental cars with BMW once already from one Orange Mini Cooper, to another Orange Mini Cooper, and I also have to change rental cars a second time tomorrow because the rental was only reserved for 1 and 2 days respectfully. Also they said that my car will be fixed by the end of the week.

Anyone else having any issues with their B58s yet?

**UPDATE**

Wanted to update this post since this whole incident took place.

Car is currently around 6k miles and running strong. FBO (except meth and Pure Stage 1 turbo) and no issues at all mechanically. Haven't been under the car in awhile to check for leaks, but I have no warnings/CELs/Codes and the oil gauge still says full.

**Update 31 December 2017**

Was hearing a clicking noise from the front driver side every time I turned left or right. Typical noise of a blown wheel bearing. Took it to the dealership and got it back on the 29th and was surprised to hear it wasn't a wheel bearing. There's a service bulletin for this issue: SIB 34 05 15 and the issue resulted from "microscopic slippage of contact surface between inner brake disc and wheel flange."

Just wanted to get this info out there for the other 240 owners. Took the dealer 3 days to get the kit in for the repair. The repair kit consists of a friction ring to be installed on both front rotors which resolved the issue. Looking at my invoice (was all covered under warranty) it lists 10 wheel bolts so guessing the kit also replaces these? car only has 13k miles on it

Last edited by Joe240; 12-31-2017 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Another Issue
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
Cars
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi MGM

Sounds like a lemon to me. Mine only has 200 miles on it so I can't give you any input yet my friend. Good luck though.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Joe240, yeah my experience with my mercedes had been that warranty work can be a bit sloppy. probably due to reimbursement.
But overall once things get fixed every thing should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars View Post
Sounds like a lemon to me. Mine only has 200 miles on it so I can't give you any input yet my friend. Good luck though.
Thank you. My wife is upset and wants to go back to the SA and have them get us a new one. I told her it hasn't technically hit the lemon law guidelines yet so we can't.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Joe240, yeah my experience with my mercedes had been that warranty work can be a bit sloppy. probably due to reimbursement.
But overall once things get fixed every thing should be fine.
I'm fine with driving in a mini, I just hate having to drive back to the dealer multiple times to switch out my rental car. As long as the repairs aren't sloppy. Also the issue it seems is that my car is US Spec, so the warranty is handled by BMW NA. Since I'm stationed in Germany, they have to have the repairs approved through Munich before they can do them. So that took a day itself it seems.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
So I found out on my way to work that the car actually needs not only the oil pan resealed, but it also needs a new "Turbolader" which is German for Turbocharger.

The car only has 3400 miles on it, and it already needs a new Turbo and the oil pan resealed. Although I think the oil pan was fine and the oil was just coming from the turbo to begin with.
This is occurred prior to pre-JB4 install right?
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars View Post
Sounds like a lemon to me.
Not really. Think of what's actually failed - By the sounds of it, it was really just the turbo at fault to begin with. The car has only had one fault it can be blamed for - the leaky turbo. The dealership is at fault for the oil pan reseal that didn't need to be done.

If the new turbocharger fixes everything, consider it a minor hiccup and enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
This is occurred prior to pre-JB4 install right?
Not sure if it was before or after. I noticed it after the JB4 install when I was about to do my DP, but it was so minor that I found out mid December, went in for the fix on the 23rd of January and my oil level still read "Max." It could have been leaking the whole time and just never knew.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout8488 View Post
Not really. Think of what's actually failed - By the sounds of it, it was really just the turbo at fault to begin with. The car has only had one fault it can be blamed for - the leaky turbo. The dealership is at fault for the oil pan reseal that didn't need to be done.

If the new turbocharger fixes everything, consider it a minor hiccup and enjoy the car!
That's how I'm looking at it. But the wife isn't which I understand. I don't think the oil pan ever needed to be sealed, but it still may have.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
KC 07
2Addicts Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' | M240xi | Alpine White

If I recall from your posts on this site, the JB4 went in first and then you did the dyno run around Jan 21st. Do you think the issue happened after both of these events? Did you ever notice anything prior to these two events? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Whats the issue with the turbo?

A defective gasket on an oil pan is one thing

A failed/failing turbo is totally different/unrelated

Could the nature of the turbo failure be construed by the dealer to be a function of use of a non approved oil? (Mobil 1)

IIRC you said you were using or intended to use Mobil 1 in the car
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC 07 View Post
If I recall from your posts on this site, the JB4 went in first and then you did the dyno run around Jan 21st. Do you think the issue happened after both of these events? Did you ever notice anything prior to these two events? Just curious.
Nah Dyno was done January 21st bone stock, no JB4. I found the oil leak end of December, went in for diag on like the 4th of January after I pulled the JB4 and intake off. Hasn't been back on since I found the leak.

So those dyno numbers were bone stock xDrive 240 in -1.5C temps. 308whp, 358crank hp, 374 crank tq.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #13
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Whats the issue with the turbo?

A defective gasket on an oil pan is one thing

A failed/failing turbo is totally different/unrelated

Could the nature of the turbo failure be construed by the dealer to be a function of use of a non approved oil? (Mobil 1)

IIRC you said you were using or intended to use Mobil 1 in the car
They haven't said anything as to why it failed. I think it was a crack in the oil return line but that seems easy enough to fix without swapping a whole turbo so not sure what exactly was wrong with the turbo. They just said they took pictures, sent them to Munich, and Munich said give me a new turbo.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
They haven't said anything as to why it failed. I think it was a crack in the oil return line but that seems easy enough to fix without swapping a whole turbo so not sure what exactly was wrong with the turbo. They just said they took pictures, sent them to Munich, and Munich said give me a new turbo.
Cool

cracked oil return line is a wierd one.....unclear why that would not be replaceable/cause the need to replace whole turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I also don't think the gasket on the oil pan ever failed. I think the oil that was around it came from the turbo because there was oil dripping from the return line onto the half shaft on the passenger side. To me it looked like it just trailed down the engine block and followed around the oil pan.

The leak was small enough that I drove around essentially for a month, did a dyno run and I still drove like my usual lead foot, and the oil gauge said Max the entire time. So it's not like it was loosing a ton of oil. Could it be that the Mobil 1 0w-20 is a different viscosity than the BMW 0w-20 they use from the factory? Of course. Is it such a drastic difference that the gasket couldn't hold the oil in? Highly doubt it. I don't think it was the type of oil that was used. I think it was just a defective part of some sort.

I will say this, I did mention to my SA and the Service Rep that I would hear an actuator noise when I'd be doing like 30kph and give very little gas and then come off. It'd make the noise twice and sounded like it was from the middle of the car somewhere. Maybe that's why the turbo is being replaced? Something with the EWG? I don't think the EWG is built into the turbo housing, is it? I'm driving a 320xi demo model in the mean time and it doesn't make this noise at all so I'm pretty sure the noise wasn't the center diff or something making the noise so no idea where that was coming from.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #16
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I also don't think the gasket on the oil pan ever failed. I think the oil that was around it came from the turbo because there was oil dripping from the return line onto the half shaft on the passenger side. To me it looked like it just trailed down the engine block and followed around the oil pan.

The leak was small enough that I drove around essentially for a month, did a dyno run and I still drove like my usual lead foot, and the oil gauge said Max the entire time. So it's not like it was loosing a ton of oil. Could it be that the Mobil 1 0w-20 is a different viscosity than the BMW 0w-20 they use from the factory? Of course. Is it such a drastic difference that the gasket couldn't hold the oil in? Highly doubt it. I don't think it was the type of oil that was used. I think it was just a defective part of some sort.

I will say this, I did mention to my SA and the Service Rep that I would hear an actuator noise when I'd be doing like 30kph and give very little gas and then come off. It'd make the noise twice and sounded like it was from the middle of the car somewhere. Maybe that's why the turbo is being replaced? Something with the EWG? I don't think the EWG is built into the turbo housing, is it? I'm driving a 320xi demo model in the mean time and it doesn't make this noise at all so I'm pretty sure the noise wasn't the center diff or something making the noise so no idea where that was coming from.
There's no way the oil could be implicated in a oil pan gasket fail

Glad they are taking care of you
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You and me both. I'm assuming the turbo replacement is at least a grand, if not more.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #18
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You and me both. I'm assuming the turbo replacement is at least a grand, if not more.

More.....

Dinan's big turbo for the M235 is 1500 alone.....just for reference

The OEM for B58 has to be at least that much......plus labor....easy 3 hrs labor....prob 5
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #19
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

They're probably replacing the turbo as a precautionary measure. If they believe it may have been oil starved, even briefly, i doubt they'd want to just replace the oil line on a potential time bomb. Less headaches in the future (hopefully).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #20
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Hope you can solve that issue Joe240
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #21
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
They're probably replacing the turbo as a precautionary measure. If they believe it may have been oil starved, even briefly, i doubt they'd want to just replace the oil line on a potential time bomb. Less headaches in the future (hopefully).
Hopefully that was the only reason for turbo swap. The oil gauge though said that it was at Max the entire time so I doubt it was. Also, was surprised that the mechanic told me initially that it was safe to drive on it knowing it had an oil leak (albeit small).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #22
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM240i View Post
Hope you can solve that issue Joe240
Thanks Alex. It's being covered under warranty. Just hope this is the last of the issues so I can finish putting the performance stuff on and enjoy the car more (again).
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50