E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How do I bleed the coolant system?

01-10-2017, 04:50 AM   #1
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 320D -2009

How do I bleed the coolant system?

Hello! I'm about to change the thermostat on my 320d -09. And I wounder if someone could help me throw the bleeding procedure of the coolant system. It's a mechanical water pump. I know some E90/91 have the electrical and that procedure is to bleed the system is very easy.

Hope someone can help. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Raise the front end, run the engine to operating temperature, shut down the engine and let the air out via the bleeding screw on the expansion tank. Add coolant if needed when engine cools off.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Raise the front end, run the engine to operating temperature, shut down the engine and let the air out via the bleeding screw on the expansion tank. Add coolant if needed when engine cools off.
No, this is not the way to do it.
Follow this,
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=495950
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah.s View Post
Follow this,
How will that work on mechanical pump? Please educate us.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah.s View Post
Follow this,
OP specifically stated that he does not have an electric water pump and you are giving him directions on how to bleed with an electric water pump.
Appreciate 2
feuer4277.00
Greyfox1207.50
      01-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Wow I don't know how I missed that. My bad guys!
Appreciate 1
feuer4277.00
      01-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Ok just to check:-) so when I have filled up with coolant ,i fill it up to normal level? I start the car run it to operating temperature. Only problem is that it's a diesel and it takes AGES to get to operating temp on idle :-). I've seen so many videos on e46 and and some other models. Were they use different methods. Some sets the climate control to max heat and low fan and fill coolant until it comes out frome the bleeding screw. Then they keep filling until no bubbles comes out frome it?? Someone fills up to the very top of the tank and then gets the car to operating temp. Then when the car is still on they open the bleeding screw a bit and lets fluid blow out. And when it's not white fluid flushing out it's done??

Sorry for poor English?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeus View Post
Ok just to check:-) so when I have filled up with coolant ,i fill it up to normal level? I start the car run it to operating temperature. Only problem is that it's a diesel and it takes AGES to get to operating temp on idle :-). I've seen so many videos on e46 and and some other models. Were they use different methods. Some sets the climate control to max heat and low fan and fill coolant until it comes out frome the bleeding screw. Then they keep filling until no bubbles comes out frome it?? Someone fills up to the very top of the tank and then gets the car to operating temp. Then when the car is still on they open the bleeding screw a bit and lets fluid blow out. And when it's not white fluid flushing out it's done??

Sorry for poor English?
Climate control to max heat and low fan will not help with air pockets. Come on now! Don't take ages! Is diesel and diesel is cheap. But if you are so impatient just keep it revved up a little.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Sorry for poor English?
it is normal for cars to take forever to come up to operating temp. it is known with gasoline engines as well, especially our BMW's which have an insane amount of oil which obviously needs to be all warmed up in order to come up to temp.

dont bother idling to warm up, that would probably take almost an hour and not good for your car at all. just drive around for 20 minutes.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
it is normal for cars to take forever to come up to operating temp. it is known with gasoline engines as well, especially our BMW's which have an insane amount of oil which obviously needs to be all warmed up in order to come up to temp.

dont bother idling to warm up, that would probably take almost an hour and not good for your car at all. just drive around for 20 minutes.
+1 on this, I go start the car in the morning and come back inside and eat some food or something, the days when it idles for 10-15Minutes the oil gauge isnt even up over 160 the days when it idles for 5, same thing, just give it 5 minutes in the mornings, anything more then that isnt beneficial AFAIK.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX537.00
      01-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #11
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_E92 View Post
+1 on this, I go start the car in the morning and come back inside and eat some food or something, the days when it idles for 10-15Minutes the oil gauge isnt even up over 160 the days when it idles for 5, same thing, just give it 5 minutes in the mornings, anything more then that isnt beneficial AFAIK.
"go eat food or something" god, im about to appreciate your post just for writing that.

Honestly, its best not to idle your engine at all when it is cold. when you first start your engine, not only is the metal not fully expanded (pistons not fully seated) but the cold air cannot be efficiently used yet this meaning your ECU dumps a ton of fuel into the mixture to keep it running. its a waste of fuel yes, but its also very inefficient and simply not good for your engine at all. the best thing to do is drive off right away.

a cold start rpm (1100RPM or whatever) isnt even to warm up the engine. its to heat up the cats as quickly as possible so they can efficiently operate.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Most people here do not have diesels or 4 cylinder cars.
So you need to look up the procedure.
On the gas 6 cylinders there is and electric water pump
that has a purge procedure that runs on the battery don't
know if this is true of the diesels or older 4 cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 01:43 AM   #13
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Climate control to max heat and low fan will not help with air pockets. Come on now! Don't take ages! Is diesel and diesel is cheap. But if you are so impatient just keep it revved up a little.
:-) im not thinking in the cost! Just that its a fact that it wont reach operating temp on idle.

I just wounder if its that easy as you write. I haven't seen that advice anywhere. Sorry for asking but I have to be sure. Don't you just relise the pressure with that method. You could just open the cap gently to relise the pressure.

Last edited by Gaspo; 01-11-2017 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 05:48 AM   #14
BMW_fun
Private
Rep
Drives: E90_320d

Guys, here are the official BMW instructions from ISTA:
Open the expansion tank cap;
Open the bleeding screws (on EGR thermostat, coolant returning pipe, screw near expansion tank);
Turn on ignition;
Set the interior heater on maximum temperature and lowest speed;
Fill the coolant to expansion tank;
Screw in bleeding screws when coolant without air bubbles starts to emerge at these points, or when the expansion tank will be at maximum level;
Make sure coolant is at maximum in expansion tank;
Start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. Watch the expansion tank and add coolant if needed;
Close the coolant expansion tank cap. Rev the engine up to 2500revs/minute a few times;
Open the expansion tank again and let the engine idle for 5 minutes more;
Add coolant to maximum and close the expansion tank.

That's all! Also, I am always checking the coolant level next morning on cold engine and top up if needed.
Appreciate 1
rulonger110.50
      01-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #15
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_fun View Post
Guys, here are the official BMW instructions from ISTA:
Open the expansion tank cap;
Open the bleeding screws (on EGR thermostat, coolant returning pipe, screw near expansion tank);
Turn on ignition;
Set the interior heater on maximum temperature and lowest speed;
Fill the coolant to expansion tank;
Screw in bleeding screws when coolant without air bubbles starts to emerge at these points, or when the expansion tank will be at maximum level;
Make sure coolant is at maximum in expansion tank;
Start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. Watch the expansion tank and add coolant if needed;
Close the coolant expansion tank cap. Rev the engine up to 2500revs/minute a few times;
Open the expansion tank again and let the engine idle for 5 minutes more;
Add coolant to maximum and close the expansion tank.

That's all! Also, I am always checking the coolant level next morning on cold engine and top up if needed.
Thx! I only have the bleeding screw on top of the expansion tank. I will fill up to when it indicates max level. I think if I fill up to the bleeding screw it's almost over full.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #16
BMW_fun
Private
Rep
Drives: E90_320d

Yes, You should fill up coolant until it starts to run from bleeding screw. Then screw in bleeder screw and continue filling coolant till it will be at max in expansion tank. Then start the engine end follow the procedure
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #17
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Thx! I only have the bleeding screw on top of the expansion tank. I will fill up to when it indicates max level. I think if I fill up to the bleeding screw it's almost over full.
Do not fill coolant in the tank all the way to the bleeding screw.

You misunderstood what was being discussed.

These cooling systems are self venting, and many people are still confused about that.

Fill coolant and observe the floating fill level indicator. Fill to max. Run car with heat on max and observe the coolant level. If level drops add more coolant. Close coolant tank cap and you're done.

You don't need to bleed anything as the whole tank is designed to take out air from the system, hence the overflow hose that connects to it from the top.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
feuer4277.00
      01-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #18
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

I don't know why people got caught up on this idle thing. Nobody is telling him to idle extensively! He is not doing it everyday and multiple time per day to be detrimental. So please stop posting about it. As I told him let idle and if needed rev it up. If you can't get you car to operating temperature especially while statationary then you shouldn't have been doing the thermostat replacment yourself and ahd had the car dropped off at the mechanic shop where guess what? > they won't drive it around for 20-30 minutes as said above.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352350.50
      01-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why people got caught up on this idle thing. Nobody is telling him to idle extensively! He is not doing it everyday and multiple time per day to be detrimental. So please stop posting about it. As I told him let idle and if needed rev it up. If you can't get you car to operating temperature especially while statationary then you shouldn't have been doing the thermostat replacment yourself and ahd had the car dropped off at the mechanic shop where guess what? > they won't drive it around for 20-30 minutes as said above.
Its a diesel!! Please guide me to a mechanic that can get the car to operating temp on idle cold engine. just after you have flushed the system. It takes TIME!! And no I haven't changed the thermostat yet!

Last edited by Gaspo; 01-11-2017 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #20
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Do not fill coolant in the tank all the way to the bleeding screw.

You misunderstood what was being discussed.

These cooling systems are self venting, and many people are still confused about that.

Fill coolant and observe the floating fill level indicator. Fill to max. Run car with heat on max and observe the coolant level. If level drops add more coolant. Close coolant tank cap and you're done.

You don't need to bleed anything as the whole tank is designed to take out air from the system, hence the overflow hose that connects to it from the top.

Cheers.
I wrote:I will fill up to when it indicates max level. I think if I fill up to the bleeding screw it's almost over full.
That said I will not fill up to the bleeding screw. Because the bleeding screw is at the same level at the top of the tank. It will be coolant all the way up=overfilled. In the description bmw_fun write it says either fill up to the bleeding screw or max level. So floating fill level indicator max:-)

Your description is it blower on max too? And is the process on idle stationary.

Sorry for all the questions but that's what the forums is for :-) I appreciate all help guys. And sorry for extremely swenglish :-) I'm frome Sweden :-)

Last edited by Gaspo; 01-11-2017 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #21
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its a diesel!! Please guide me to a mechanic that can get the car to operating temp on idle cold engine. just after you have flushed the system. It takes TIME!! And no I haven't changed the thermostat yet!
I'm from Macedonia, most cars, not only BMW are diesel. Like I said, if needed rev it up. I've done it, oh God, can't even tell you how many times...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #22
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
I wrote:I will fill up to when it indicates max level. I think if I fill up to the bleeding screw it's almost over full.
That said I will not fill up to the bleeding screw. Because the bleeding screw is at the same level at the top of the tank. It will be coolant all the way up=overfilled. In the description bmw_fun write it says either fill up to the bleeding screw or max level. So floating fill level indicator max:-)

Your description is it blower on max too? And is the process on idle stationary.

Sorry for all the questions but that's what the forums is for :-) I appreciate all help guys. And sorry for extremely swenglish :-) I'm frome Sweden :-)
No problem, we are all here to assist each other as much as possible.

My description was referring to set the interior temperature controls to full warm and blower fan speed to low.

Process was on idle. Clearly your car would take a really long time to heat up to operating temps, so just carry out the process at idle with whatever temp you can get. At least let it idle for 10-15 mins, then observe the coolant level.

As feuer said, no shop is going to drive your car around until it heats up, so they would be doing the same thing. Also keep in mind that coolant expands when hot, so checking it while it's hot will not give you an accurate fill level. Always check coolant level when engine/coolant is cold.
Appreciate 0