BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

04-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Gemcoska
Sleepy Member, wishing I was on the road.
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Exterior Protectant

Has anyone heard of or used CILAJET? Its used on airplanes and looks like really cool stuff. I got a quote from a dealer for $1300; sounds like alot and don't know if its really worth it.

http://www.cilajet.com/index.htm
      04-15-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
It is not worth it. It’s just like the stuff they try to sell you on at the Stealerships a.k.a. Permaplate.

The best protection you can buy for your car besides a clear bra is a good sealant. Cilajet and Permaplate among others are just sealants that never live up to the hype therefore making them a waste of money.

The seal I use for my clients was made for the airplane industry as well and in my option (among many other top detailer's options) is the best on the market.

A good sealant will last around 6 months depending on the climate you reside in. If you are close to the ocean, the acidic levels rise and protection does not last as long. You just have to factor in many variables to determine how long your protection will last realistically.

If you are looking for the best protection, I would go with Chemicalguys JetSeal 109.

If you have any questions about application and or where to buy JetSeal 109, feel free to PM me for more information.

Thanks,
Jared
      04-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Gemcoska
Rep

Thanks Jared,

It seems like there's no real long term protectant. 6 months isn't exactly a solution, might as well just wax right?

I have a few friends with the clear bra and they say its not really worth it.

I guess I will have to keep looking for another solution or just deal w/ nothing.
      04-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
L~R~G nor cal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
In my option your only line of defense is a sealant. I highly recommend them to help with bird droppings, acid rain, hard water, and complete UV protection. It will also help with getting bigs off, for they will not stick on a seal like they will on bare paint.

Even the best/most expensive wax's in the world will only give you a month of protection. Some idiots think that Zymol Vintage will give you as much protection as a sealant, but they are smoking crack and are highly mis-informed. So wax is only going to give you minim protection for a minim time, as for sealant will give you maximum protection for a longer period of time.

Wax is used for beauty, and sealant is used for protection.

For my personal car, and my clients that are looking for the toughest protection, amazing beauty, and a new car look; I do the following steps to ensure quality and strength. This is needed 1-2 times yearly for protection depending on climate characteristics. But minus the polish for you should not need and do not want to correct a paints finish more than once a year to ensure you have a good amount of clear left to protect the paint.

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Polish
4. Seal (I use JetSeal and let it cure on the paint for 12-24hours)
5. Wax (Concourse grade and up)
6. Finish with a quality QD to give that last bit of shine and to ensure the paint is completely prepped and protected.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to shoot away!

Thanks,

Jared
      04-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
Gemcoska
Rep

Okay Jared,

You are a bit over my head here. I understood wash and wax. Is there a resource that explains in detail the other steps you listed?

Thanks,
Rob
      04-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
L~R~G nor cal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
1. You understand
2. Here is a vid of claying a car so you can get an idea of what it is:

3. Polish is to take out all scratches and swirls. This process is done with a machine and also takes a lot of skills.
4. This is the stuff we have been talking about. A sealant is synthetic and tends to protect longer and better than a wax. It also makes the paint look shiny.
5. I call this my LSP or Last Step Product. This is where you get the depth and wet look of the paint. A good concourse wax should do the trick.
6. QD=Quick Detailer. I just spray a QD to make sure I have all the wax off and to give the paint an extra pop.

Hope this helps.
      04-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Gemcoska
Rep

Great info... many thanks.