F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > DMV IL Plate transfer
proTUNING Freaks

01-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
DJsirkit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i x-Drive M-sport

DMV IL Plate transfer

Hello

I am trying to transfer custom plates that my Dad on his 7 series to my 428. I live in Illinois and just purchased a vehicle from out of state. Currently i have the temp tags that the dealer from Tennessee put on the car they expire next week. I was wondering what I need to do to transfer plates from my dad to me. I don't want to loose these plates as they have been in our family for the last 25 years (always on a BMW).

I tried calling the DMV but no one ever picks up the phone. With my work schedule I have literally one shot at doing this tomorrow morning.

Anyone know what documents I need to take with me?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
You can't transfer plates from person to person.

The 428 has to be registered just like the 7 series with regards to name and address.

What you should do is go to www.cyberdriveillinois.com. That is the website for the Illinois Secretary of State. Go to the Pick A Plate and if your plate is currently a vanity or personalized plate you can get the same number with a specialty plate. Try typing in the characters and see what you get.

I spent 26 years with the State Police. When we check a plate on the computer you have to specify what type. For example a person could have a Route 66 plate. That plate would be 1234SS. A veterans plate would be 1234US. Even though the plate has the same numbers they can be registered to different people.

Hope that helps