F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding Using ESys v3.28.1 and BMW ICOM A2 Clone
proTUNING Freaks

01-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Coding Using ESys v3.28.1 and BMW ICOM A2 Clone

When using the BMW ICOM A2, the Interface needs to be set to "Connection via ICOM/Ethernet". I entered "tcp://169.254.92.38:50160" for the URL, not the default value of "tcp://127.0.0.1:50:160".

I have PSdZData v60.1 Lite in the C:/Data... folder.

I did run into an issue. I am wondering if this is related to the the trimmed CAFD descriptive text in newer PSdZData files shawnsheridan Almaretto . I was attempting to code Tire Pressure + Temperature display as well as change the number of blinks for the turn signals.
Attached Images

Last edited by Polo08816; 01-01-2017 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
When using the BMW ICOM A2, the Interface needs to be set to "Connection via ICOM/Ethernet". I entered "tcp://169.254.92.38:50160" for the URL, not the default value of "tcp://127.0.0.1:50:160".

I have PSdZData v60.1 Lite in the C:/Data... folder.

I did run into an issue. I am wondering if this is related to the the trimmed CAFD descriptive text in newer PSdZData files shawnsheridan Almaretto . I was attempting to code Tire Pressure + Temperature display as well as change the number of blinks for the turn signals.
Connect via ICOM/ENET.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ICOM and E-sys.pdf (4.26 MB, 11425 views)
Appreciate 1
TilQ341.50
      01-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Connect via ICOM/ENET.
It might have been an IP issue. I used the ISTAD method to obtain the IP address.

However, I was not able to get EasyConnect utility to work. Fortunately, I was still able to get ESys working and coded the RDC_Safety and blinker # back to what it was before.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It might have been an IP issue. I used the ISTAD method to obtain the IP address.

However, I was not able to get EasyConnect utility to work. Fortunately, I was still able to get ESys working and coded the RDC_Safety and blinker # back to what it was before.
Thanks!
EasyConnect just to displays IP. You can use ZGW to ID as well as iToolRadar to lock. Did you connect via ICOM or URL?

Also, to address your earlier question, trimmed data has no affect on connection. Using the incorrect launcher chassis, target & interface, or neither external charger or running engine to provide power to certain modules, can result in the ECU_ETHERNET map error.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
EasyConnect just to displays IP. You can use ZGW to ID as well as iToolRadar to lock. Did you connect via ICOM or URL?

Also, to address your earlier question, trimmed data has no affect on connection. Using the incorrect launcher chassis, target & interface, or neither external charger or running engine to provide power to certain modules, can result in the ECU_ETHERNET map error.
I connected via ICOM/Ethernet not URL.

As for the connection issue, I'm not sure what it was but I was able to to get it sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I connected via ICOM/Ethernet not URL.

As for the connection issue, I'm not sure what it was but I was able to to get it sorted out.
Ok. URL is used for flash programming, but you will use VIN for ENET and ICOM/ENET for ICOM to code.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 01:06 AM   #7
ingmv
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 Competition

Flashing with E-Sys

Quote:
Ok. URL is used for flash programming, but you will use VIN for ENET and ICOM/ENET for ICOM to code.
Why is url for flashing ?
Can i also take ICOM/ENET for flashing, with a icom clone ?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 01:14 AM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingmv View Post
Why is url for flashing ?
Can i also take ICOM/ENET for flashing, with a icom clone ?
Actually only ZGW must be flash progammed via IP.
ENET can be used with E-sys or ISTA-P to flash.
ICOM (including clone) can be used with E-sys, ISTA-P, or ISTA+.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 01:19 AM   #9
ingmv
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Actually only ZGW must be flash progammed via IP.
ENET can be used with E-sys or ISTA-P to flash.
ICOM (including clone) can be used with E-sys, ISTA-P, or ISTA+.
Which settings i must choose for flashing in e-sys (URL or ICOM/ENET) ?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 01:41 AM   #10
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingmv View Post
Which settings i must choose for flashing in e-sys (URL or ICOM/ENET) ?
I believe it is still URL, but you must use DHCP (either software or router).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
m6lei
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Unhappy

Quote:
Connect via ICOM/ENET.
I did exactly as mentioned to connect ICOM to OBDII and to my computer, but then when I get to connect using ESys, I got the following error message:
"Connection check failed. Gateway/ECU are not correctly connected or not responding. However Function using ODX-Data can be used. [G188]"

Got any clue what does it mean?

Somehow, I had been trying to use an ENet cable to connect to my car (F30 328i), but then after plugged in everything, my computer detected no signal... but strangely, sometimes and rarely, my computer is getting signal from my car n ESys can connect via VIN... and I can start coding... but this rare case only happened 1 time in the past 10 days...

I am trying to fix my very soft brake paddle by coding after installing the M Brakes, but I have no idea how to get my car to talk to my computer with either ENet or ICOM... any clue? Plz help...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6lei View Post
I did exactly as mentioned to connect ICOM to OBDII and to my computer, but then when I get to connect using ESys, I got the following error message:
"Connection check failed. Gateway/ECU are not correctly connected or not responding. However Function using ODX-Data can be used. [G188]"

Somehow, I had been trying to use an ENet cable to connect to my car (F30 328i), but then after plugged in everything, my computer detected no signal... but strangely, sometimes and rarely, my computer is getting signal from my car n ESys can connect via VIN... and I can start coding... but this rare case only happened 1 time in the past 10 days...

I am trying to fix my very soft brake paddle by coding after installing the M Brakes, but I have no idea how to get my car to talk to my computer with either ENet or ICOM... any clue? Plz help...
With ICOM, you connect via ICOM. You will need to lock IP with program like EasyConnect or Itool Radar.

With ENET, you connect via VIN.

You connect via gateway URL if flashing. That error message occurs when you have incorrect IP.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #13
m6lei
Registered
Rep

Quote:
With ICOM, you connect via ICOM. You will need to lock IP with program like EasyConnect or Itool Radar.

With ENET, you connect via VIN.

You connect via gateway URL if flashing. That error message occurs when you have incorrect IP.
For ICOM, I was using ITool Radar to lock the IP, then in ESys, I used the IP found in ITool Radar to connect. Am I doing the right thing? Or do I still need to use ISTA to get the IP address??

And with ENet, after plugging in everything, my computer failed to recognize any connection from the Ethernet port. What I mean is that, there wasn't even a flashing light on the port that indicates my computer is connected to something, not normal, right?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
For ICOM, I was using ITool Radar to lock the IP, then in ESys, I used the IP found in ITool Radar to connect. Am I doing the right thing? Or do I still need to use ISTA to get the IP address??

And with ENet, after plugging in everything, my computer failed to recognize any connection from the Ethernet port. What I mean is that, there wasn't even a flashing light on the port that indicates my computer is connected to something, not normal, right?

Thanks!
For ICOM, you do not need to separately use ISTA+; that is just another way to discover IP.

With ENET, you should get fallback IP (169.x.x.x)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #15
m6lei
Registered
Rep

Quote:
For ICOM, you do not need to separately use ISTA+; that is just another way to discover IP.

With ENET, you should get fallback IP (169.x.x.x)
So if I don't need ISAT+ to get the IP, then any clue why I still get that error on ESys after I press connect? Seems like I am getting the proper IP address off ITool Radar... any chance that my car computer is not responding?

And with ENET, it is not getting any fallback coz my computer don't even know it is plugged in... no steady nor blinking lights on the port...

Some others suggested that my car computer could be in some kind of safe/protection mode that it blocks external connection... is there such thing?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #16
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So if I don't need ISAT+ to get the IP, then any clue why I still get that error on ESys after I press connect? Seems like I am getting the proper IP address off ITool Radar... any chance that my car computer is not responding?

And with ENET, it is not getting any fallback coz my computer don't even know it is plugged in... no steady nor blinking lights on the port...

Some others suggested that my car computer could be in some kind of safe/protection mode that it blocks external connection... is there such thing?
With ICOM, you can certainly try with ISTA+ to see if you get a different IP to lock with Itool Radar. For ICOM, are you selecting 4th interface type and putting in the same IP?

For ENET, are you selecting 5th option (VIN)? Are you getting anything populated?
  • Make sure motor is running if car is not on a Charger.
  • Third party Security Suites (Antivirus / Firewall / etc) are disabled
  • LAN Adapter is set for DHCP and not using a Static IP.
  • The Target Connection Window should not be blank (It should show multiple target connections for different chassis')
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #17
Divad968
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2004 E46

How to install e-sys bmw next software
Link simulator and devices via lines
Connect devices and computers via network cables
Observe whether the device is lit normally
Let's take a look at the enginner software.
Open the tool software.
Select link mode, then click "Contect"
Display voltage indicates successful connection
Start engineer software
Copy the IP adress again
Click the "Connnect" buttton
Select the appropriate option and paste the IP address.
Click to connect
Get vehicle information
Check module information
View configuration table
View vehicle software version and VIN
      11-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #18
shahzf36
Rep
Drives: bmw 440i gran coupe

Quote:

what application or software are you using for your computer to read your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #19
bunderlogg
Rep
Drives: bmw

Lightbulb

hello, what connection settings for reflash ZGW via ICOM?
i lock ICOM via easyconnect, and connect via ICOM IP:50160 success (may be us this settings for reflash ZGW?),
but ICOM i can't connect via Gateway URL :6801 - ICOM IP:6801 settings have error like posted up (G188 error). What IP needed, LAN setting like 169.254.92.1 and 255.255.255.0

Gateway URL :6801 connection only for ENET?

Last edited by bunderlogg; 03-14-2019 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0