F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 Lane Departure retrofit - The correct way (w/button!)
ARMA SPEED

12-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

F30 Lane Departure retrofit - The correct way (w/button!)

In the spirit of contributing to a forum which has answered countless questions of mine:

Having just UNSUCESFULLY tried to retrofit 5AS with an FSC loaded KAFAS2 + emulator, I did not want to give up.

I ordered what appears to be a set of buttons for an F01 series.

The reason being, as many know, with the F30, its either lane departure + front colision warning, or neither.

I know lane departure can be coded in, but I never liked the idea of not being able to turn it off. So I looked around, turns out lane departure was available as a stand alone option for the F01 series.

Without further adieu:

It works. I used the coding that is widely available. And threw in this set of buttons, and, yep... It works!

Two things worth mentioning:

A) You will need to order yet another set of F30 buttons that has JUST the 2 buttons (so essentially it will be FCW + LDW) because the F01 frame is different.

B) The part #, that is in the images below... I can't seam to find it anywhere online :/ None of the parts catalogs have it. But I am sure if you look around you will find it.

PS : To clarify: F30 (as far as I know) had only the following available:

5AG = Lane change warning
5AS = Lane departure warning + Front colision warning

Front colision warning CANNOT easily be retrofitted as it requires FSC codes, which BMW will not sell you because its a "safety" system. Yeah its possible with an emulator, but it did not work for me.

So the button set you order online will have either 5AG, 5AS or 5AG + 5AS.

Here to answer any questions, enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
In the spirit of contributing to a forum which has answered countless questions of mine:

Having just UNSUCESFULLY tried to retrofit 5AS with an FSC loaded KAFAS2 + emulator, I did not want to give up.

I ordered what appears to be a set of buttons for an F01 series.

The reason being, as many know, with the F30, its either lane departure + front colision warning, or neither.

I know lane departure can be coded in, but I never liked the idea of not being able to turn it off. So I looked around, turns out lane departure was available as a stand alone option for the F01 series.

Without further adieu:

It works. I used the coding that is widely available. And threw in this set of buttons, and, yep... It works!

Two things worth mentioning:

A) You will need to order yet another set of F30 buttons that has JUST the 2 buttons (so essentially it will be FCW + LDW) because the F01 frame is different.

B) The part #, that is in the images below... I can't seam to find it anywhere online :/ None of the parts catalogs have it. But I am sure if you look around you will find it.

PS : To clarify: F30 (as far as I know) had only the following available:

5AG = Lane change warning
5AS = Lane departure warning + Front colision warning

Front colision warning CANNOT easily be retrofitted as it requires FSC codes, which BMW will not sell you because its a "safety" system. Yeah its possible with an emulator, but it did not work for me.

So the button set you order online will have either 5AG, 5AS or 5AG + 5AS.

Here to answer any questions, enjoy!
If i already have the blind spot system on my car, can i just add the LDW button and simply code it onto my car?

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Nice find on the buttons. I did the 5AD retrofit a while ago, and since at the time I hadn't yet gotten the Front Collision Warning to work, my solution was to take the middle button piece from the 3 button panel and paint it matte black, but it never looked 100% right.

Not sure why you had an issue with the KaFas not working if it had all of the FSC codes, since you shouldn't have needed an emulator if that's the case(as long as you don't flash the KaFas). Mine had all the FSC's too which answered my confusion about why SLI was working without the emulator plugged in, and I was eventually able to get FCW working after figuring out the correct codes for the 6WB Instrument cluster. Since my car is MY2013, despite some attempts so far after retrofitting NBT, I have not been able to get 5AS to work(Driving Assistant/Pedestrian Detection).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan View Post
If i already have the blind spot system on my car, can i just add the LDW button and simply code it onto my car?
Two different systems unfortunately. If you have the camera near the rain/light sensor on your windshield, then yes, you can add it via coding and the button. If not, then you would need to add the camera and replace the windshield, among other things.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
anom3
Captain
Rep

Here was my issue with the KAFAS2:

It needed to be flashed, the cafd was "not found" regardless of what pszdata I used.

So I had no choice, had to flash it.

I flashed it (used donor vin during flashing), then tried to code the donor VIN (what the FSCs were issued for) and no matter what I tried I could not get the module to accept the new (donor) VIN. Also, the final state of flashing, the part where it codes the default values to the module failed for the same reason that it wouldnt let me reset the module to the default values.

I'll add, that the mistake I made was the module I bought was for a F34 NOT F30 (like my car)... So I had to 'reset' the coding data. Couldn't do it until I flashed it because of the cafd no existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Nice find on the buttons. I did the 5AD retrofit a while ago, and since at the time I hadn't yet gotten the Front Collision Warning to work, my solution was to take the middle button piece from the 3 button panel and paint it matte black, but it never looked 100% right.

Not sure why you had an issue with the KaFas not working if it had all of the FSC codes, since you shouldn't have needed an emulator if that's the case(as long as you don't flash the KaFas). Mine had all the FSC's too which answered my confusion about why SLI was working without the emulator plugged in, and I was eventually able to get FCW working after figuring out the correct codes for the 6WB Instrument cluster. Since my car is MY2013, despite some attempts so far after retrofitting NBT, I have not been able to get 5AS to work(Driving Assistant/Pedestrian Detection).

Last edited by anom3; 12-30-2016 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
anom3
Captain
Rep

Yes.

You can even skip the button and have it 'default on'.

I did not like this solution as I think its more correct to be able to turn it off.

These are the coding instructions I used, and it worked perfect for me:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=714122

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes.

I did not like this solution as I think its more correct to be able to turn it off.

Quote:
So I don't need now additional components like that kafas camera ?

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 12:17 AM   #8
roxxor
Major
Rep

Definitely need the camera for Lane Departure Warning... Speed Limit Info can be run from an emulator without adding camera, but no way to get LDW info without the camera
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #9
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

What's the difference between Lane change warning and LDW?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 08:34 PM   #10
roxxor
Major
Rep

Lane change alerts you if someone is in your blind spot, Lane departure warns you if you are drifting out of your lane.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Mwahab
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Guys, i was a able to retrofit lane departure on a car, however after coding the REM an error message appeared and never gone ' Rear-end collision warning failure' anybody have a clue?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:41 AM   #12
Mwahab
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post

I think i have the same issue, after retrofitting and EVO on 2013 Model a message came in saying 'rear end collision warning failure' especially after coding REM with the VO
Plus, is it a specific type of an emulator? and from where can i get for the KAFAS camera
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #13
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Guys I want to reduce the speed from 70 km/h where the ldw work....can anyone help?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 04:14 AM   #14
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

OP - do you have the wiring used for adding the buttons or can you direct me to them in ISTA+?
      02-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #15
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Yes.

Don't you have to have the vibrating steering as well to get this to work?

I have SLI already in the car from factory with KFAS2 and it has the latest flash.

I tried it a while ago and got the Collision Warning which BMW had to clear I just said I dont know what happened

If its as easy as setting it to ALWAYS on in the coding and it works Ill do it now

Looking forward to the reply
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #16
bobbyggx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW G30 540i xDrive

Guys, fast question - isn’t it possible to turn the LDW on/off directly from the iDrive (NBT?) similar as with F15 intelligent safety button?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #17
3M_F36
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Hi friends, sorry about my poor english.
I have in my car 5AG-and more safety systems( Camera, Vibration in steering wheel and more.)
I know that I must write in lane code this: 5AS.
It is possible to activate it without a push button? Using the 5AG button?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #18
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

If anyone needs the drivers assistant switch from f01, i have one for sale.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1727483

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #19
fl0rizz
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI

Can anyone tell me how to wire the drive assistant switch on an F31? I Want to retrofit for LDW. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #20
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0rizz View Post
Can anyone tell me how to wire the drive assistant switch on an F31? I Want to retrofit for LDW. Thanks!
Before you run the wires for the drivers assistant switch, take your headlight switch out and check for a wrapped wire on that headlight switch wire.

On the image below, you see that bulky part that wrapped? check there.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:27 AM   #21
fl0rizz
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Before you run the wires for the drivers assistant switch, take your headlight switch out and check for a wrapped wire on that headlight switch wire.

Thanks. So this means the plug is already there? Or loose wires?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:28 AM   #22
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0rizz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post

Thanks. So this means the plug is already there? Or loose wires?
If it's there, it'll be the plug so all you need to do is plug and play.

Appreciate 0