BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Best Washing method w/o Hose

12-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Dmarcen
Private
Rep
Drives: TBD

Best Washing method w/o Hose

Hey Guys,

I'm sure there is a thread out there, but what's the best method for washing w/o the use of a hose in the winter. Living in Ohio, not going to be able to use the hose for almost half of the year it seems, and concerned w/o a good rinse I run the risk of scratching.

Any advise or link to a similar thread would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
I have CQuartz Finest on mine which is only driven in nice weather and was just garaged for the upcoming 3 winter months.
Although CQuartz provides special cleaners and supplies, I was using the low pressure deionized water spray at my local car wash to do quick cleanups.
http://www.cqfinest.com/
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52269.00
      12-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I just use the pay pressure washes for a quicky on my cars I drive in the winter. MooMoo car wash does a decent job also. My M2 doesn't go out in winter or rain.
      12-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

We never use a hose in winter, can't really even here in Midwest as you are.

Instead, I "wash" any debris, salty water, dirty "roady" film, even if dried by time I get home, off with Griots "Spray on Wash". Using a high grade microfiber towel, wiping one direction, turn to another towel panel and continue. Yes, I can go thru several MFiber towels but so what? They wash up easy.

There are other products for "hose less" washing, but I have found the above for me more than adequate. Must add that there are 2 full layers of wax on the car to begin with, and getting at the roady, winter film quickly works well to stay ahead of the issue. Once clean I might even use the spray on wax, buff it out a bit and add a sacrifice barrier to the wax.

If a person has to park outside, then that's a problem with cold and freezing. Been there, and then a rinse at the washing location with no heavy soap is needed. Hope this helps some. www.autogeek.com has a variety of products and advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

I wash mine with a hose here in Canada in my heated garage FWIW.

Otherwise the pay pressure washing spots are my second favourite.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #6
Lincoln30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I use a rinseless wash and I'm very happy with it. My BMW doesn't really get dirty so I'm never scared to use rinseless on it but if my truck is extremely dirty I'll just use the rinseless wash with 2 buckets and grit guards. It seems that GMC paint from 9 years ago is quite durable. I machine polished it 2 years to remove the swirls and decided I would always hand wash from now on (it was the 1 car I own that I would run thru a tunnel wash) and a few days ago I prepped it for a new glaze and sealant and it really doesn't need paint correction yet.

I've been using the Autogeek house brand (it changed names to McKee's) rinseless wash for 2 years. I use 1.5oz each wash (3 gallons of water) and I'm about to run out of my first 32oz bottle. I decided to try Optimum No Rinse for my next bottle, just b/c it seem to have a big following and I want to see if I can tell a difference.
Past BMWs: E30 323i, E36 325is, E36 M3, E46 M3, E39 M5, E46 325i, E90 335i, F80 M3, F87 M2
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Kimosabi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Exec 6MT MGM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
To those driving theirs in the wintry element, I'm employing the rinseless wash for my new M2. The one question is how to manage the underbody of the winter grime?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarcen View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm sure there is a thread out there, but what's the best method for washing w/o the use of a hose in the winter. Living in Ohio, not going to be able to use the hose for almost half of the year it seems, and concerned w/o a good rinse I run the risk of scratching.

Any advise or link to a similar thread would be appreciated!
I'm in Ohio as well. I run it through the touchless car wash once or twice a week to get the underbody. I always use lubricant to dry the car. If the wash gets it clean I use my master blaster/blower/compressed air to dry it.

I use a ton of towels too. If you get the chance search AMMO N.Y.C waterless car wash techniques. Tons of knowledge and you can supplement the products at most auto parts stores locally.

I make sure to seal with powerlock or coatings and then layer up collinite 845 after I get a chance to do a proper wash when it's warm. This makes even simple washes 10x easier.

I'm super anal about the chassis components so if you have access to a lift a power wash once a month is what I like to do. I spray automotive plastic dry coatings like a nice tire coating that dries to the touch on everything underneath. That's probably overkill but it washes off so nice.
Appreciate 0