THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bimmertech Amp Computer Connect Help

12-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
aweedman
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Bimmertech Amp Computer Connect Help

Hi all. I've been trying to work through this myself and with the help from Bimmertech with no success. I installed the Bimmertech amp. It powers on fine and is providing sound. However, when trying to connect it to two different laptops neither is recognizing it. I don't see anything popping in the Device Manager or drivers trying to be installed as when most USB devices are connected for the first time. The latest version of the DSP software is installed. I also manually installed the USB_Driver.exe file sitting in the Program Files folder. Support is telling me that it has to be my computers as the amp was thoroughly tested.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Unplug usb from the computer. Reinstall the driver (as administrator), right click, run as administrator.. Reboot windows. Try plugging it in and see if it get's recognized.

I know nothing of the bimmertech amp, just computers..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:25 PM   #3
aweedman
Rep

Unfortunately no luck after installing as Administrator.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:08 AM   #4
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Try another USB cable, if that doesn't work you might have a hardware issue. Do other USB devices work in these ports ? Did you also check device manager that it wasn't showing up as an unknown device?

Maybe lay off the weed, weedman ?
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      12-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
aweedman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Try another USB cable, if that doesn't work you might have a hardware issue. Do other USB devices work in these ports ? Did you also check device manager that it wasn't showing up as an unknown device?

Maybe lay off the weed, weedman ?
Ha Yes, I've tried three different USB cables on two different laptops. Both are Windows 10 so don't know if there could be an issue there. USB ports work fine for all other devices. No unknown devices are showing up in the Device Manager.

Does anyone out there live in the San Francisco area where I might be able to swing by and plug into to a computer where it's known working correctly to test?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Does the thing need to be powered by the car first to work with USB? Maybe push back to bimmertech there's only so much troubleshooting that you can do.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
aweedman
Rep

Yes, power is on and the amp is providing sound to the speakers. The USB LED on the amp is a solid green. I've been communicating daily with Bimmertech but their suggestions aren't working. Without me being able to test with a known working computer, it's tough for me to identify whether it's the amp or my computer that's having the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Try that latest version here.
http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/files...TOOL_3-40a.exe
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

I used a MacBook Pro with Windows 10 in BootCamp. I don't remember explicitly installing a driver, but maybe my brain just forgot that part. Maybe it did throw up a UAC (admin authorization) dialog the first time. I don't really remember. As long as the amp was on (car awake) it connected just fine, though, even through daisy-chained cables (right-angle micro to USBA, left poking out from the trunk liner, then USBA male-female extender to reach the front seat).

I'm in Marin so maybe could help verify. I'm busy this weekend, though.
Appreciate 0