THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Willow Spring track day pics.

12-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Willow Spring track day pics.

Might post video later when I have time.

My best at Big Willow is a 1:33.7 in my Evo X.

Took the m235i out for its first track day at Big Willow. Car felt great! Actually felt faster than the Evo, but only managed a 1:34.1. By the time I got really comfortable with the car the winds picked up. Think the 20mph winds against the fast straight cost me a 1:33.x time. Also think I had a better brake pad in the Evo.

LSD will be in my future soon.

Not too bad for 200 treadwear street tires and no aero.

Think the RWD makes it seem faster. Definitely more fun with the RWD though

Attached Images

Last edited by Anthony235; 12-12-2016 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 5
jpnh1423.50
bryan_G011164.50
Powaup1253.00
Gare470.00
      12-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

Great pics, loving the wrapped roof
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Video added:

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #4
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Great pictures and video car looks great

I am curious I see you said you are selling your 18x8.5 et45 fronts and running A square setup , are you now 18x9.5 et45 square? If so could elaborate on any fitment issues (if any) up front and what tire/size are you running!
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

I hate you west coast folks! 27 degrees today and dropping like its cold!
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderw View Post
Great pictures and video car looks great

I am curious I see you said you are selling your 18x8.5 et45 fronts and running A square setup , are you now 18x9.5 et45 square? If so could elaborate on any fitment issues (if any) up front and what tire/size are you running!
Yes, 18x9.5 +45 255/35/18 square.

To get it to fit my setup (others people setups may very).

KW Clubsport coilovers
Eibach shorter front main spring (I also went with a higher spring rate than KW)
20mm front spacer
No rear spacer
Front fender is rolled (not sure if it's needed, but I preemptively did it)

3* front camber
2* rear camber

Spacer is needed for my setup to clear the front suspension/remote reservoir. I actually have a 27mm (15mm+12mm spacer) spacer in there now as an emergency stop gap because the 15mm spacer I had in there was not enough. 20mm should be the in this week so I can test clearance, but I expect it to be the minimum size needed for my setup.

Last edited by Anthony235; 12-13-2016 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
I hate you west coast folks! 27 degrees today and dropping like its cold!
68 degrees for us
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
6th fastest lap of the day. Not bad for a fake M car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
jpnh1423.50
casper83119.00
      12-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Nice setup! What spoiler is that?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
Nice setup! What spoiler is that?
Just the M Performance one.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 01:52 AM   #11
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Just the M Performance one.
interesting! it doesn't look like it from the pics.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #12
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

set the suspension up for that track and you will trim a few seconds no problem.

Car may be too low (below roll center) Check LCA angles to make sure there not negative.

LSD is a must, your in a sailboat with no sail.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
set the suspension up for that track and you will trim a few seconds no problem.

Car may be too low (below roll center) Check LCA angles to make sure there not negative.

LSD is a must, your in a sailboat with no sail.
Suspension actually felt great. Car is almost stock height. May do end links later.

Car could use LSD; not sure I will do it though.

It's a fast lap time for that track either way. I'm relatively happy with it. The biggest issue was the 20mph winds that day. Many guys were 2 seconds off their normal pace.

M4 boards are allowing m2 and m235 times in their track section. You guys should list your times.

Last edited by Anthony235; 12-15-2016 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #14
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Suspension actually felt great. Car is almost stock height. May do end links later though.

Car could use LSD; not sure I will do it though.

It's a fast lap time for that track either way. I'm relatively happy with it. The biggest issue was the 20mph winds that day. Many guys were 2 seconds off their normal pace.

M4 boards are allowing m2 and m235 times in their track section. You guys should list your times.
Track days are not really racing or time trials, people get into pissing matches over times, it is kind of silly. If the car feels fun, and you are having fun that all that matters.

My modded 2r is on par (+/- a second or two) with about anything that I have driven on track sans a gt3, viper or c7 gran sport that is street legal in time trials. Street tires are the equalizer in high-end sports cars, tires give up well before the car.
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50
      12-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #15
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Track days are not really racing or time trials, people get into pissing matches over times, it is kind of silly. If the car feels fun, and you are having fun that all that matters.

My modded 2r is on par (+/- a second or two) with about anything that I have driven on track sans a gt3, viper or c7 gran sport that is street legal in time trials. Street tires are the equalizer in high-end sports cars, tires give up well before the car.
OK. You should setup your suspension. Probably knock a few seconds off no problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
OK. You should setup your suspension. Probably knock a few seconds off no problem.
haha, yeah I was not trying to be mean, you have club sports, if you are going for flying hot lap times, you can dial them in for each track, you mention the pavement felt choppy and rough on runoffs, you can adjust the dampening and slow rebound to compensate smooth out the car. With your spring rates (stiff) and the wheel and tires, (low profile) they prob. need to be pretty low on low on rebound for those conditions.

That suspension has soo much adjustability from KW it can be a bit overwhelming. You should play with it for a day or two on track keeping a log and making changes to see how they feel to you. You can get a baseline setup for street driving. Suspension setup is an art, has to be done for conditions and to drivers liking.

We even change the damping and rebound during endurance races at drivers swap depending on the driver or weather change.

That track, time comes in high speed, a few additional mph out of exit will trim a few seconds. I would set the car up for high-speed stability and sacrifice the few mid-low speed corners, they come after high-speed straights anyway. BMW chassis are better at mid-high speed stability.

If your not too keen on the lsd, have you done the swaybars?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #17
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
haha, yeah I was not trying to be mean, you have club sports, if you are going for flying hot lap times, you can dial them in for each track, you mention the pavement felt choppy and rough on runoffs, you can adjust the dampening and slow rebound to compensate smooth out the car. With your spring rates (stiff) and the wheel and tires, (low profile) they prob. need to be pretty low on low on rebound for those conditions.

That suspension has soo much adjustability from KW it can be a bit overwhelming. You should play with it for a day or two on track keeping a log and making changes to see how they feel to you. You can get a baseline setup for street driving. Suspension setup is an art, has to be done for conditions and to drivers liking.

We even change the damping and rebound during endurance races at drivers swap depending on the driver or weather change.

That track, time comes in high speed, a few additional mph out of exit will trim a few seconds. I would set the car up for high-speed stability and sacrifice the few mid-low speed corners, they come after high-speed straights anyway. BMW chassis are better at mid-high speed stability.

If your not too keen on the lsd, have you done the swaybars?
What you say is true, but you say them without any actual context of my skill, knowledge, car setup or the actual track itself. For example, show me one person that is familiar with that track that does not complain about the track conditions. Show me one video where someone is not choppy through turn 8 and I'll show you someone that is slow on that track. As for my comments on the "run off"....you do realize that is off the actual track, right?

I will not do the sway bars. I don't think this car needs them with good DA suspension. I was already 3 wheeling it. Not to mention that a sway bar may actually amplify the fact that the car has no LSD.

The only cars faster than me (top 5) were on R comps or slicks. My car setup is fine for what I have available on my car.

Quote:
Track days are not really racing or time trials, people get into pissing matches over times, it is kind of silly.
I've never seen pissing matches from track time leader boards. It's usually quite the opposite and people that actually share their times check their ego at the door. No offense, but I have a feeling that the "pissing matches" you mentioned may revolve around you

All interesting comments from someone that doesn't focus on laptimes haha.

Last edited by Anthony235; 12-16-2016 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #18
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

I log time and data during DE's.

If your in an advanced group, so is everyone else.

Im about 3-5 seconds off of fully built e92 m3 race cars which i am extremely pleased with being on stock suspension and usually EBC yellows.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2016, 12:09 AM   #19
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Thanks for sharing your take on your car. I'm interested in how much value you place on the Clubsports. My 228 is crazy fun while still stock on track. Stock minus the crap run flats anyway. Your suspension and wheel/tire specs interest me more than anything else. Great times compared to the rest of the top 5 cars. I'm trying to get to at least 2 HPDE's next year. It would be nice to have more grip. Keep it up.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #20
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
I log time and data during DE's.

If your in an advanced group, so is everyone else.

Im about 3-5 seconds off of fully built e92 m3 race cars which i am extremely pleased with being on stock suspension and usually EBC yellows.
Yes, advanced group. Most of the cars are big tire and/or aero cars. I log my time for two reasons with a transponder. 1) It's free and 2) I like to see self improvements.

I do miss my old data log and video overlay setup though.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #21
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Thanks for sharing your take on your car. I'm interested in how much value you place on the Clubsports. My 228 is crazy fun while still stock on track. Stock minus the crap run flats anyway. Your suspension and wheel/tire specs interest me more than anything else. Great times compared to the rest of the top 5 cars. I'm trying to get to at least 2 HPDE's next year. It would be nice to have more grip. Keep it up.
I will probably only being doing 3-4 track days a year. Unless I start doing Bimmer Challenge.

Clubsports....It really just depends on what you want from the car. Are you hunting laptimes? If so, then they might be worth it for you.

I will say that Clubsports were not my first choice. I was actually going to go with BC Racing coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade. About $1200 and they come with front camber plates. I've ran them on other cars without issue.

Problem is I have a 2015 car so it has the 5 bolt top hats. Clubsports were the only all-in-one solution for me. The ROI on $3600 coilovers is not great.

Am I faster with the Clubsports Vs BC? More than likely, but again that ROI is not good.

Then you have to be honest with yourself and ask if you have the skill level to take advantage of the parts you put on the car.

From a lap time perspective you will get more results from doing away with your all season tires and going with something a more aggressive. If you swap to say an extreme performance summer tire with 200 treadwear, but your times don't improve considerably then you probably can't justify going with such an expensive suspension setup for the moment.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about my setup.

Corner balance will be after the holidays. Interested to see the total weight too.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #22
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
I will probably only being doing 3-4 track days a year. Unless I start doing Bimmer Challenge.

Clubsports....It really just depends on what you want from the car. Are you hunting laptimes? If so, then they might be worth it for you.

I will say that Clubsports were not my first choice. I was actually going to go with BC Racing coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade. About $1200 and they come with front camber plates. I've ran them on other cars without issue.

Problem is I have a 2015 car so it has the 5 bolt top hats. Clubsports were the only all-in-one solution for me. The ROI on $3600 coilovers is not great.

Am I faster with the Clubsports Vs BC? More than likely, but again that ROI is not good.

Then you have to be honest with yourself and ask if you have the skill level to take advantage of the parts you put on the car.

From a lap time perspective you will get more results from doing away with your all season tires and going with something a more aggressive. If you swap to say an extreme performance summer tire with 200 treadwear, but your times don't improve considerably then you probably can't justify going with such an expensive suspension setup for the moment.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about my setup.

Corner balance will be after the holidays. Interested to see the total weight too.
I am going to hit at least two track days this coming year due to time. I just hate to buy things more than once. I spent some time hitting tracks in Europe while I was stationed there before I retired.

I plan to get a set of summer and track day wheels and tires. I'm comfortable driving at the limit of adhesion so I will be able to tell the difference when performance parts are added.

Thanks for the input. I have some time to decide which direction to go.

Last edited by SteveInfante; 12-19-2016 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 1