THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Is it possible to replace the Xenon ballast?

12-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
bmw_fascinated
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 228i

Is it possible to replace the Xenon ballast?

Hi all,

I am very happy with my F22 at daytime, but at night the road illumination is just disappointing. My F22 has the adaptive Xenon headlights with high-beam assistant and selective beam, however when oncoming traffic approaches and the light switches back to low beam, I hardly see the road. I feels like my 12 years old VW MK IV had a better low beam.

Since I am not sure if a pair of Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker will solve this issue to my satisfaction, I am wondering if the HID Ballast can be replaced with a slightly more powerful one (40-50W).
My intention would be to overload a 35W bulb with about 40W what should deliver the maximum legal output of 3600lm. Heat and current shouldn't be a problem, plus by overloading the bulb, the color temperature will decrease and improve the visibility in rain.
In fact there are adjustable ballasts for such projects (of cause no plug and play mounting). However, by having a closer look at the oem ballast, I found 3 additional pins next to the 12V/ground connections.
Does someone know if there is any can-bus communication over these pins or are they just for debugging / programming purpose?

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0