BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS Specification and Weight Predictions

12-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Arrow M2 CS Specification and Weight Predictions

With the S55 based M2 CS now unofficially confirmed I thought it might be fun to speculate (yet again) on what specifications and weight BMW has in mind.

Before the M2 launched I was hoping for something more akin to an M2 CS and thought it might be fun to revisit some of my older threads on this topic.

M235i Racing Parts Bin
M2 weight vs M235i and 228i
M4 GTS headed to U.S., M2 CSL to follow suit?

Here are my specification predictions so far:
400hp, 400tq S55
M235i Racing carbon fiber strut brace (same as M3/M4)
carbon fiber roof
lightweight manual seats as shown in this Road & Track Article.
simplified center stack similar to that shown in the Road & Track article or similar to the basic 1-series setup
lightweight rear seats in homage to the e46 M3 CSL or removable seat portions
a reconfigured front bumper to differentiate it from the M2
Ti M performance exhaust customized like the M4 GTS
A 2-way adjustable suspension, likely KW rebranded as BMW, similar to the M4 GTS
No front splitter or rear wing bc then it would be an M2 GTS
At least one more weight reducing part - CFRP hood or trunk perhaps?

E46 M3 CSL and E92 M3 GTS Photoshoot

I need to think about my weight prediction further.

What are your predictions?
      12-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It wont be much lighter at all.
      12-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

I speculate it will be just like what the speculators are speculating on the other speculation thread.
Appreciate 3
StephGOD218.50
JustChris17427.50
      12-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

You couldn't pay me to take a M2 with that hideous rental car center stack and nav screen not to mention the manual seats are still the same not Recaro CF shells or anything. I'll take a 100 pound weight penalty on a street car anyday to have the nicer refinements. I can make most of that up in a lightweight battery and exhaust/wheels.
Appreciate 1
amdmaxx118.00
      12-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #5
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

All these CS wishlist and speculation threads make me laugh.

FWIW, here's an M4 CS prototype. Since it is speculated that the upcoming versions of these two will be named CS, I don't see why the M2 would be any more hardcore/different that this M4 werktestwagen.

12-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

That would be sadness
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1474.50
      12-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

FWIW, here's an M4 CS prototype. Since it is speculated that the upcoming versions of these two will be named CS, I don't see why the M2 would be any more hardcore/different that this M4 werktestwagen.

Completely agree with this. However, the M4 CS prototype pictured has a lot of the interior dash covered which means the interior is not finalized yet. They would not need to display that to test it on the streets. I guess we will not see the interior till the car actually gets rolled out.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
the M4 CS prototype pictured has a lot of the interior dash covered which means the interior is not finalized yet.
They could easily have it finalized, yet not want to reveal it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
You couldn't pay me to take a M2 with that hideous rental car center stack and nav screen not to mention the manual seats are still the same not Recaro CF shells or anything. I'll take a 100 pound weight penalty on a street car anyday to have the nicer refinements. I can make most of that up in a lightweight battery and exhaust/wheels.
Perfect. 1 less to compete for allocations.
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1474.50
ried791.50
      12-09-2016, 12:42 AM   #11
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

If they are serious and want to lose weight a good bench mark for what kind of weight can be lost is to take the standard gti vs the new gti clubsport s 30kg lighter and they sacrificed a lot to do that. I would be surprised if Bmw could lose 60kg, and for me, no power increase but a huge weight reduction would be best. For now il just stick with my semi comfortable car and put power up to 400bhp to compensate for the fat the car carries
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1474.50
      12-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #12
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
If they are serious and want to lose weight a good bench mark for what kind of weight can be lost is to take the standard gti vs the new gti clubsport s 30kg lighter and they sacrificed a lot to do that. I would be surprised if Bmw could lose 60kg, and for me, no power increase but a huge weight reduction would be best. For now il just stick with my semi comfortable car and put power up to 400bhp to compensate for the fat the car carries
With a base 228i coming in at 3091 lbs or 1402 kg, LINK there is some hope at least. Granted the extra cooling gear for the S55 adds weight but perhaps that can be stripped or reduced for the de-tuned version.
      12-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #13
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
It all depends on what you are after. On the street one would enjoy the creature comforts more, but for me personally I want a lightweight track machine and am willing to sacrifice.
      12-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
That would be sadness
My entire list could actually be satisfied by such a car. The 'hardcore' part can come from the higher power engine and weight reduction measures. Then the revised front bumper, hood, trunk, and spoiler can be the visual indicators that differentiate this car from the standard models. No need for the extreme aero of the GTS line.

I would seriously like to see a carbon fiber roof on an M2 though, in standard or CS form.

After further thought, perhaps the 2-way suspension won't make the cut either, more of a GTS thing. The lightweight rear seats may admittedly be off the table as well. Any rear seat pics from this M4 CS?
      12-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #15
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
It all depends on what you are after. On the street one would enjoy the creature comforts more, but for me personally I want a lightweight track machine and am willing to sacrifice.
I think that this is what BMW is starting to go after. More factory flavors to accomodate everyone. If the main platform stays the same, then it's very easy to add/subtract parts. This is why I don't think there will be a lot of carbon fiber in tge CS. I think it would be reserved for the track flavor, which would have no back seats, etc.
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1474.50
      12-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
I think that this is what BMW is starting to go after. More factory flavors to accomodate everyone. If the main platform stays the same, then it's very easy to add/subtract parts. This is why I don't think there will be a lot of carbon fiber in tge CS. I think it would be reserved for the track flavor, which would have no back seats, etc.
I am first in line for an M2 " further progress " but I really don't expect this M2 CS to be anywhere near as hardcore as most here.

I anticipate the different motor, perhaps the Kw suspension and some cosmetic changes and that's about it. I expect it to be far less aggressive than a GTS/CSL.

At COTA last month we had 3 M235 racing machines in the race group.
Appreciate 3
///Mobbin1474.50
bim2er223.50
amdmaxx118.00
      12-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #17
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good point, carbon is pricey so perhaps reserved for the higher end GTS line. CFRP is a bit cheaper though so maybe more of that in the CS? Or perhaps the CS is the line to strip weight in by de-contenting the car. Then again it's not a CS 'L' (lightweight) so maybe none of this. Lots of paths for BMW to take.
      12-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #18
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I am first in line for an M2 " further progress " but I really don't expect this M2 CS to be anywhere near as hardcore as most here.

I anticipate the different motor, perhaps the Kw suspension and some cosmetic changes and that's about it. I expect it to be far less aggressive than a GTS/CSL.

You may be right but it's fun to speculate!

I was at COTA then also, what were you driving? That was my first time seeing the M235i Racing cars up close, and actually driving with one of them on track, very cool! I was in the advanced group in the car below.
      12-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #19
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You may be right but it's fun to speculate!

I was at COTA then also, what were you driving? That was my first time seeing the M235i Racing cars up close, and actually driving with one of them on track, very cool! I was in the advanced group in the car below.

The black 1M in my avatar .. it was definitely the only one present.. we had three in attendance. One in each color.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #20
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The black 1M in my avatar .. it was definitely the only one present.. we had three in attendance. One in each color.
So small world, I think we actually met briefly. I was a passenger for one session in the black Z4M that parked next to you in the garage, we were chasing you the whole session and the Z4M's brakes were smoking when we parked. Good times and nice driving!
      12-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
So small world, I think we actually met briefly. I was a passenger for one session in the black Z4M that parked next to you in the garage, we were chasing you the whole session and the Z4M's brakes were smoking when we parked. Good times and nice driving!
Totally! That was GREAT fun.. one of the most fun sessions I have had in awhile!
my friend Matt and I run pretty similar times to each other on track and at autocross.

Franzino would probably like to hear this..

Matt's stock Z4M with RE-71rs and my stock 1M with three year old Maxxis (aka Crapsis) R tires were pretty much just about dead even!
The 1M has a little more M powah so I was able to just keep you guys in the rear view..
I would expect the M2 to pull on both on those long straights at COTA.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1474.50
      12-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #22
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster

Quote:
Totally! That was GREAT fun.. one of the most fun sessions I have had in awhile!
my friend Matt and I run pretty similar times to each other on track and at autocross.

Franzino would probably like to hear this..

Matt's stock Z4M with RE-71rs and my stock 1M with three year old Maxxis (aka Crapsis) R tires were pretty much just about dead even!
The 1M has a little more M powah so I was able to just keep you guys in the rear view..
I would expect the M2 to pull on both on those long straights at COTA.
Sounds like good times! I'd be down for any future event at COTA.