E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Automatic Trans Owners With 60K+ Miles

12-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Automatic Trans Owners With 60K+ Miles

Hi all, just wanted to share some information regarding our Zf transmissions and the important fluid change which I had done today. I have recently noticed after 100,000km that shift quality started to gradually degrade. I didnt think much of it until my transmission started acting up fairly seriously about once or twice a month. it would hesitate, and then jump into D causing the whole car to shudder quite violently, it felt bad. on top of this, every shift would jerk the car around and it honestly felt like the transmission was damaging itself.. So I finally went and got the fluid changed today (have 111,500KM on the clock) the fluid was quite dark, a very dark brown. after changing the fluid, initial impressions were very positive. initial throttle tip-in improved noticeably and the drivetrain felt alot more smooth and refined especially when revving out. shifts were much quicker and smoother then before along with much less torque converter lag then i remember from before. Even if your transmission is operating fine, if you are nearing this mileage I highly recommend you have your fluid changed simply as preventative maintenance to have your transmission operating healthy for as long as possible. on a side note, you will need to replace your transmission oil pan (Filter built into pan) my transmission took about 5L of ATF fluid

I also have a question for anyone with experience regarding this topic.. The transmission shop i went to today used "Mannheim" Dextron VI (6) fluid today instead of the usual ZF. while it seems to operate just fine, does anyone know if this oil is compatible for the 8 speed ZF or not? I obviously trust the shop especially after noting that the drivetrain operates much better then before, but second opinions would be much appreciated.
Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Just a side note, but many E90 series cars have a GM transmission. One notable difference is that the filter is separate from the pan.

I am curious why your shop used Dextron VI in your ZF transmission. It's what is specified for the GM transmissions. That fluid isn't what is specified by ZF.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patents View Post
Just a side note, but many E90 series cars have a GM transmission. One notable difference is that the filter is separate from the pan.

I am curious why your shop used Dextron VI in your ZF transmission. It's what is specified for the GM transmissions. That fluid isn't what is specified by ZF.
Really? i thought all e90's had a ZF. is it bad that they used this Dextron shit? transmission appears to be operating fine, i mean, alot better then before. should i ask them to drain it and use the proper fluid?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:

the jug they used specified that it is compatible with zf5hp on the back. would this fluid also be fine with the 8hp? its quite concerning what they did, but i dont know if its worth coming back there for the third time because the trans operates perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
klipse
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 335i

I personally, always stick to the OEM stuff. And never believe 'lifetime' fluids. It just means for as long as they care about your car, which is ends around 50k miles.
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Had my pan\filter and fluid changed about 4k miles ago.. At 64.5k now.

Also did the differentials
power steering and transfer case fluid at 60k miles. Coolant was recently done so not worried about that.

But yes I HIGHLY suggest you keep up with your fluid changes.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

My 2008 E90 N51 has a GM unit. I'm not sure which models got GM. It's recommended that you look up by your VIN to see which one you have, so I'm guessing it's not always a year/model breakdown. On the upside, GM does make really good transmissions, and it's extremely rare to see one fail in our cars, even without fluid changes. My observations online is that the ZF units do better with regular fluid changes, and you can get away with fewer fluid changes in GM ones. That's just an uneducated hunch. I changed the fluid and filter in mine at around 65k just because I had a good opportunity to do so.

As for your fluid, I really can't say. I think I've heard of people actually getting ahold of ZF engineers, so if that's possible it's a good question for them.

Fluids are tricky. I always use exactly the fluid the manufacturer recommends. There are many scenarios that you can have otherwise: a fluid may be better, it may not last as long, it may be just the same, or it may be damaging.

In your case, the shop probably just regards that fluid as an acceptable substitute based on their experience. It may or may not be. But they should have first asked you whether you were ok with a non-approved fluid.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipse View Post
I personally, always stick to the OEM stuff. And never believe 'lifetime' fluids. It just means for as long as they care about your car, which is ends around 50k miles.
agreed, lifetime is a load of bullshit. they want the two most costly things in your car (engine + trans) to break right after your warranty is up by "recommending" 15k oil intervals and "lifetime" zf fluid intervals. my transmission fluid was pretty much almost black when i changed it at 111,000KM.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #9
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Had my pan\filter and fluid changed about 4k miles ago.. At 64.5k now.

Also did the differentials
power steering and transfer case fluid at 60k miles. Coolant was recently done so not worried about that.

But yes I HIGHLY suggest you keep up with your fluid changes.
interesting, how did your differential fluid look when you changed it? was it dirty?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My 2008 E90 N51 has a GM unit. I'm not sure which models got GM. It's recommended that you look up by your VIN to see which one you have, so I'm guessing it's not always a year/model breakdown. On the upside, GM does make really good transmissions, and it's extremely rare to see one fail in our cars, even without fluid changes. My observations online is that the ZF units do better with regular fluid changes, and you can get away with fewer fluid changes in GM ones. That's just an uneducated hunch. I changed the fluid and filter in mine at around 65k just because I had a good opportunity to do so.

As for your fluid, I really can't say. I think I've heard of people actually getting ahold of ZF engineers, so if that's possible it's a good question for them.

Fluids are tricky. I always use exactly the fluid the manufacturer recommends. There are many scenarios that you can have otherwise: a fluid may be better, it may not last as long, it may be just the same, or it may be damaging.

In your case, the shop probably just regards that fluid as an acceptable substitute based on their experience. It may or may not be. But they should have first asked you whether you were ok with a non-approved fluid.
He did show me what fluid he was using right before he filled it up. honestly, I was a little concerned especially considering the price i paid easily had the price of ZF fluid considered in there. then again, my transmission is operating great so i think ill just leave it alone for now.
thanks all for your input!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
interesting, how did your differential fluid look when you changed it? was it dirty?
I wasn't there my buddy did it for me and I didn't ask.. I was with him when he did the transfer case and it looked pretty dirty.. The tranny fluid didn't look bad though..

EDIT:

I did the rear diff on my old E90 328i (rear wheel drive) when it hit 80k and man it looked grimy.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #12
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

OP, thanks for the heads up. My car just turned over 60k three weeks ago, I guess it's time to take her in for transmission fluid change. I, too, have noticed some noticeable harsh shifts from time to time, but it usually happens when I back out of the driveway, and shift it to D, when the car is cold. So I just chocked that up to the car not being warm enough yet.

Hopefully I'll feel a noticeable improvement after the fluid change.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Generally E9n 328i have GM tranny, while 335i have ZF tranny.

Per BMW (at least, per the 2011 3 Series Service & Maintenance book) BMW has a 100k miles explicit change interval for a/t, altnough the official ZF position is every 60k miles

Last edited by Wilt; 12-06-2016 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      12-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

So the 2011 335s had a zf tranny not the gm tranny ?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #15
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902009 View Post
OP, thanks for the heads up. My car just turned over 60k three weeks ago, I guess it's time to take her in for transmission fluid change. I, too, have noticed some noticeable harsh shifts from time to time, but it usually happens when I back out of the driveway, and shift it to D, when the car is cold. So I just chocked that up to the car not being warm enough yet.

Hopefully I'll feel a noticeable improvement after the fluid change.
definitely, you've hit the mileage where a fluid change for your transmission is necessary. expect to feel smoother shifts and less torque converter lag when you go in for the flush.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #16
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
So the 2011 335s had a zf tranny not the gm tranny ?
All E9x 335s use a zf tranny.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX536.00
      12-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #17
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
Hi all, just wanted to share some information regarding our Zf transmissions and the important fluid change which I had done today. I have recently noticed after 100,000km that shift quality started to gradually degrade. I didnt think much of it until my transmission started acting up fairly seriously about once or twice a month. it would hesitate, and then jump into D causing the whole car to shudder quite violently, it felt bad. on top of this, every shift would jerk the car around and it honestly felt like the transmission was damaging itself.. So I finally went and got the fluid changed today (have 111,500KM on the clock) the fluid was quite dark, a very dark brown. after changing the fluid, initial impressions were very positive. initial throttle tip-in improved noticeably and the drivetrain felt alot more smooth and refined especially when revving out. shifts were much quicker and smoother then before along with much less torque converter lag then i remember from before. Even if your transmission is operating fine, if you are nearing this mileage I highly recommend you have your fluid changed simply as preventative maintenance to have your transmission operating healthy for as long as possible. on a side note, you will need to replace your transmission oil pan (Filter built into pan) my transmission took about 5L of ATF fluid

I also have a question for anyone with experience regarding this topic.. The transmission shop i went to today used "Mannheim" Dextron VI (6) fluid today instead of the usual ZF. while it seems to operate just fine, does anyone know if this oil is compatible for the 8 speed ZF or not? I obviously trust the shop especially after noting that the drivetrain operates much better then before, but second opinions would be much appreciated.
Thanks all!

Thanks for sharing.

Not familiar with "Mannheim fluid" I changed mine about 2 yrs ago at around 105k miles as I was starting to have some random jerky shifting. I did not use ZF fluid, I used the Castrol fluid. So far so good but I feel I should do another one since I only did the flush and changed filter pan. So far so good...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #18
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Not familiar with "Mannheim fluid" I changed mine about 2 yrs ago at around 105k miles as I was starting to have some random jerky shifting. I did not use ZF fluid, I used the Castrol fluid. So far so good but I feel I should do another one since I only did the flush and changed filter pan. So far so good...
what do you mean by only did the flush and changed filter pan? this is exactly what you have to do for the fluid change. you dont have to worry about changing your fluid for now, next change can be in around 50k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #19
AviatorBimmerFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92

My car is at 145K miles and has been experiencing very hard shifting. Sometimes it will jolt when changing gears and other times it seems like it will hesitate or wait too long to shift. In other words, definitely not as smooth as before.

I keep hearing so much back and forth. Some say don't do it while others say hurry up and do your transmission a favor by changing the fluid.

Yes, I keep hearing the horror stories about transmissions failing after having a fluid change for the first time after passing the 100K mark, but the thing is that I know the transmission is not acting as it should.

I definitely want to change it but I'm afraid of ruining the transmission.
      12-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #20
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

ZF Tranny Cars = 325i/330i/335i
GM Tranny Cars = 328i

This applies to all US E9x vehicles, regardless of model year.
Appreciate 2
STR8-6IX536.00
BKBMW335I156.50
      12-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #21
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmerFL View Post
My car is at 145K miles and has been experiencing very hard shifting. Sometimes it will jolt when changing gears and other times it seems like it will hesitate or wait too long to shift. In other words, definitely not as smooth as before.

I keep hearing so much back and forth. Some say don't do it while others say hurry up and do your transmission a favor by changing the fluid.

Yes, I keep hearing the horror stories about transmissions failing after having a fluid change for the first time after passing the 100K mark, but the thing is that I know the transmission is not acting as it should.

I definitely want to change it but I'm afraid of ruining the transmission.
dude, you're ruining your transmission by not changing your fluid.. my car had only 67k on it when i did the flush and the fluid was GROSS. i can only imagine how bad yours is. the jerky shifts and hesitation to upshift will go away once you change it.

hesitation to shift up is a definite sign you need a fluid change. get it done asap.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #22
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
ZF Tranny Cars = 325i/330i/335i
GM Tranny Cars = 328i

This applies to all US E9x vehicles, regardless of model year.
interesting, if that transmissions programming had nothing to do with GM, they should be good, right? i mean, are they good transmissions?

also, how about e60? did this apply to that chassis as well?
Appreciate 0