F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Disable or code gearbox from learning...
Extreme Powerhouse

12-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Disable or code gearbox from learning...

Is there a way to do above?! After a reset things were better but hesitation in comfort is creeping back and annoying. Due to my commute it is all slowish acceleration but eco cr8p doesnt give enough (or any) acceleration from round abouts so I dont use it.

Comfort would be fine if it stopped thinking thats how I want it to respond all the time!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Is there a way to do above?! After a reset things were better but hesitation in comfort is creeping back and annoying. Due to my commute it is all slowish acceleration but eco cr8p doesnt give enough (or any) acceleration from round abouts so I dont use it.

Comfort would be fine if it stopped thinking thats how I want it to respond all the time!
I don't follow this "learning to hesitate" adaptation. It should learn, within seconds, any other driving style as well. Floor it and it wakes up.

If you are referring to driver influenced adaptation, it is real time adaptation. Drive harder it should be with you in a couple of moves. Drive in slow traffic flows and it gets lazy, (by design), a couple of dabs on the throttle and a few more revs and it is alive again.

My gearbox is the same today as it was when I got the car, over 4-years ago. Always responds to my driving style within seconds. You can break driver influenced adaptation anytime you like, simply by flicking the shifter to M/S and back again.

Any hesitation in the gearbox can't be driver influenced adaptation, it has to be something else, driver adaptation starts afresh each time we start.

The throttle reset, seems a hit and miss affair, has been since we first had drive by wire. Never felt the need to try it in my 535i. Did try it in my 330d when others were saying it transformed the 6-speed. Never did anything to my gearbox, then I never had issue with it anyway.

I really don't understand why the pickup become hesitant with some cars, others never have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 02:30 AM   #3
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

Why not just put it in sport mode, that sharpens things up and I much prefer it. I just wish I could code it to always start in sports mode. BMW have allowed for the possibility that you may always want to start in eco pro mode (god knows why) but not for sports mode
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 02:50 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

No need for coding, just select sport mode on the drive control!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

You can reset adaptions via INST too.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

INST ??
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 03:21 AM   #7
TheFifthElement
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i F30

I would prefer it, if you could separate the systems like Audi give you control over.

Sometimes I want the throttle response of sport, but I don't want the additional revs that Sport gives you with the gearbox.

There should be individual settings for throttle, steering, gearbox and suspension (if you have that option) and you could tailor it to how you like it.

Sometimes I want a crisp throttle response, but don't want the car sitting over 2K revs in town. If I want to do that I have to flick over to the left and change manually.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 03:58 AM   #8
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
I would prefer it, if you could separate the systems like Audi give you control over.

Sometimes I want the throttle response of sport, but I don't want the additional revs that Sport gives you with the gearbox.

There should be individual settings for throttle, steering, gearbox and suspension (if you have that option) and you could tailor it to how you like it.

Sometimes I want a crisp throttle response, but don't want the car sitting over 2K revs in town. If I want to do that I have to flick over to the left and change manually.
Totally agree. I've never really understood those on here that bang on about sports mode. For me, Sports mode (rightly) holds on to the revs longer but for for normal driving the engine is just screaming which is plain nasty. All it means is that I plan my "responsive" driving. Stick left for a quick overtake, sport mode for the upcoming twistys...
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2016, 05:42 AM   #9
TheFifthElement
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i F30

Nobby Clark I agree. Although dynamic mode in the S3 basically meant dropping it into the lowest gear at all times. So in town, you're never out of 1st and 2nd. It's basically a track setting where you either braking or accelerating at all times. It was even frustrating on a B-road hoon as you're not always 'on it' and you'd find yourself going along a straight road in 3rd engine screaming away for too long.

I'm the same really, comfort mode around town and motorway, then sports mode + manual shifting when I want some fun or want to overtake.
Appreciate 0