E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Running Issues With DTC?

12-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
UltraV
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90

Unhappy Running Issues With DTC?

Hi

So as of last week my car (BMW 320d e90) has started to play up, when the car has warmed up the traction control light will start to flash when:

•Maintaining a constant speed (especially worse when on the motorway)
•Turning left
•Turn on Cruise Control (This makes the situation worse)

When the light flashes the car temporarily loses power, almost like a misfire then car jolts back in to power. This is an intermittent fault that doesn't always happen. I have attached a link to a video of what happens, please note that my passenger was recording the video and not me! Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mWFGor3cSA

From what I have read up on previous searches it is a problem with the DTC and it thinks the car is "unstable" so it kicks in and stops the car, however nothing was ever concluded on the info i found.

Also I want to note that it was suggested to help with the problem I should turn the DTC off, I have done this and yes it helps a bit and the light does not flash as much but this is not safe and does not fix the root of the problem.

If any of you guys could help out that would be great, I have a long distance journey coming up and I want the car fixed prior.

Ash
Appreciate 1
dmatre664.50
      12-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraV View Post
Hi

So as of last week my car (BMW 320d e90) has started to play up, when the car has warmed up the traction control light will start to flash when:

•Maintaining a constant speed (especially worse when on the motorway)
•Turning left
•Turn on Cruise Control (This makes the situation worse)

When the light flashes the car temporarily loses power, almost like a misfire then car jolts back in to power. This is an intermittent fault that doesn't always happen. I have attached a link to a video of what happens, please note that my passenger was recording the video and not me! Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mWFGor3cSA

From what I have read up on previous searches it is a problem with the DTC and it thinks the car is "unstable" so it kicks in and stops the car, however nothing was ever concluded on the info i found.

Also I want to note that it was suggested to help with the problem I should turn the DTC off, I have done this and yes it helps a bit and the light does not flash as much but this is not safe and does not fix the root of the problem.

If any of you guys could help out that would be great, I have a long distance journey coming up and I want the car fixed prior.

Ash
Have you recently swapped tires?

I know of one case where the rear tires were replaced, then the problems started. Same description that you provided. BMW had the car several weeks before dealer swapped wheels/tires from another car and the problem went away.

Hopefully it's something simple like this. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
UltraV
Rep

I swapped the tyres around 4 months ago and the car has been fine until now? I will also add that my Flywheel is on its way out and I am also due to have this replaced, I don't know if that could cause any issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
UltraV
Rep

I have been told that there are sensors in the wheel area that could be damaged? I am surprised that no one else has really had this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 05:06 AM   #5
UltraV
Rep

Okay, so from what I can figure out, the sensors are part of a DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system : http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...y_control.html

They are also referenced here as part no. 10 : http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0742

So I have taken some photos this morning and I think something is missing ?

Right Front Wheels:

Left Front Wheels:

As you can see the right only has 1 cable and the left has 2, perhaps this is my issue? Is this the missing sensor? If it is I am baffled to how it would have been disconnected?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #6
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Wheel speed sensor?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
UltraV
Rep

The car is literally doing this all the time now, I cant make any journey without an intermittent problems, it just keeps cutting the engine like a poor coil pack and then the traction control light flashes, this is even in a straight line!

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
maxoutput
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Get he codes read and change the wheel sensor that is giving errors, if you are unlucky the reluctor rings may also need changing. If the end of the sensor looks to have been rubbing against something this will be a corroded reluctor ring.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
geek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Is your car xdrive? When this happened to me, it turned out to be the transfer case motor actuator. If this is your problem, it's very common. An actuator gear gets stripped, causing jerky power to be applied to the front wheels. When the gear strips completely, the DTC light, ABS, and 4x4 lights come on and stay on. If you don't have xdrive, this can't be it.

Regarding turning DTC off being "unsafe", I wouldn't worry about it. This feature didn't exist in any cars until the 1990s, and somehow we were all able to survive. However, you're right that it doesn't address the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 05:22 AM   #10
UltraV
Rep

I have an OBD2 reader and software , do you think it will throw up error codes even without engine management light on?

It is not an XDrive its 2007 E90 320D M-Sport, it is just so strange that it is even causing problems with turning the DTC off :|
Appreciate 0